So, I Have an Idea (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been perusing some insurance auction sites, and I'm thinking of picking up a cheap FJ Cruiser.
End goal would be 41-43's, super duty's, 3 link/4 link, doubler, and a inner/exo cage hybrid.
I'm thinking if done right, I can get this thing completed for under $10k and have a rig that's a bit more comfortable and streetable than the last few rigs I've built.
Thoughts?

Go for it!

$10k might be a bit optimistic, but as always, it depends on the deals you can get.

Do you like the build process more than the wheelin?

What kind of doubler options are available for the drivetrain?

What kind of doubler options are available for the drivetrain?
Marlin has a crawl box available, and of course there's an atlas option. There's some worry about the stock transfer case being able to handle the torque of a doubler, but with my plan of action being to keep the build on the less expensive side, I'd just have to deal with it.

As this so far is an "idea", I'm thinking Tundra 10.5, 9" clamshell front, and utilizing as many Tundra parts as possible to make a true long travel suspension and upgraded ring gears that'll handle a 40" tire. 34 spline front and a 36 spline rears make for some pretty stout axles.
Thoughts?

How much does an FJCruiser weigh?
The door tag is saying ~5400 lbs which puts it in 80 series territory. As cool as I think it would be to get a little wild with some Tundra running gear, the aluminum clamshell isn't going to be up to the task of 40" (or bigger) tires.
I've gone and looked at two of the insurance auction rigs near me, and think I'll have a decent chance of picking something up pretty cheap when the time comes. Once the rig is bought, I'll begin stockpiling parts and steel for the build.

I checked with Google (you know, cuz they know everything) and they say 4,079 to 4,343 lbs for curb weight for a 2014 FJ Cruiser. Wikipedia says 4,050 for a 2WD manual up to 4,295 for a 4WD automatic.

I checked with Google (you know, cuz they know everything) and they say 4,079 to 4,343 lbs for curb weight for a 2014 FJ Cruiser. Wikipedia says 4,050 for a 2WD manual up to 4,295 for a 4WD automatic.
I'll run it over the scales in the next few days and see where it's at. I suspect closer to 5k than 4.

I'll run it over the scales in the next few days and see where it's at. I suspect closer to 5k than 4.
I ran over the scale on the way to the coast this last weekend (great trip with @boots4 and family) and saw 5400+ on the scale (we thought we had a doggo emergency so drove over the pad kind of quick). The FJ cruiser is not light by any means. Also, @boots4 should chime in on what his 60 weighs :eek::eek:.

All I'll mention for now is that for what my little 4bt is pulling around everyday I'm even more impressed with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom