Snow and Ice Performance/VSC Disable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We finally got ourselves some snow and ice so I was able to get out and see how my vehicle performed while taking the wife to work. FWIW, I'm still running some stock-sized Michelins until I get around to swapping my suspension and going up to a larger tire in the spring.

On the whole I have to say I am impressed! The wheelbase feels perfect, so is the weight distribution. I say that because when the back feels a bit loose in a turn if you feather the skinny pedal it pulls the nose around and life is good. It feels like it all works together to keep you going in a situation when there is just very little traction, and you would have to be driving like a maniac or intentionally trying to skid around uncontrollably.

Of course, that little bit of skidding I encountered when making sharp turns also had me looking for a way to kill the VSC without shifting into low range. Before moving back down to TN I was living in upstate NY so I can drive in snow, I've driven in ridiculous amounts of snow. I felt that the VSC kicked in far too soon and it was fighting me. I'll try to give an example, hopefully my description is fitting!

Imagine you come to a 4-way-stop. You make a right turn, and the street quickly transitions from level to a rather steep hill. You need to give it some throttle so you can have momentum to help get you up the hill. The problem I ran into was that I would lose a little bit of traction making the turn, but I was nowhere even remotely close to being out of control, and VSC would cut in killing power along with any hope of making it up the hill. I made it up this same hill in the same conditions over the years in various vehicles, but they either lacked traction control or had a way to manually shut it off.

The other issues I ran into was with my wipers. I think I may need a new rear arm, it has a new blade but wouldn't keep the top of the window clean. This allowed ice to build up, and I had to stop and clean it off if I wanted to see out the back. I guess the spring doesn't exert enough pressure on the tip of the blade, and I am not aware of any way to adjust the tension. I also had ice buildup on the windshield up around the rear-view mirror, the only way I found to prevent it was to run the defroster wide open. That meant your feet were frozen and your upper body was on fire. I saw a Russian guy on YouTube complaining about the heat in a Prado, now I understand what he was on about!

Like I said, on the whole I was really impressed with the performance, it just needs some tweaks and I will be very happy.

The FJ Cruiser guys have figured it out now I am trying to find the time to figure it out for the GX. I only care about the ABS delete but they cover both in this thread: Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

I have a link to the GX wiring that I can send you if you are really interested but it does require splicing into stock wiring.

If you lock the transfer case, the VSC Off light comes on. Not sure if that turns it completely off, but that's what I've done the couple times we've had heavy snow in western PA this winter. Haven't had any issues on my stock all-season tires.

I was disappointed that there's no dedicated VCS Off button like I had in my Tacoma (turned off all the nannies if you held it in for ~5 seconds). Makes it harder to have fun in the snow.

I started looking through several of the threads over there, seems like multiple people trying different approaches for the same thing. For the GX I am now curious if that wire off the master cylinder is the same as on the FJ. I am also curious if it is a normally open or a normally closed circuit. I could throw a switch in one of those blank spots which would be a nice way to add a circuit.

If you lock the transfer case, the VSC Off light comes on. Not sure if that turns it completely off, but that's what I've done the couple times we've had heavy snow in western PA this winter. Haven't had any issues on my stock all-season tires.

I was disappointed that there's no dedicated VCS Off button like I had in my Tacoma (turned off all the nannies if you held it in for ~5 seconds). Makes it harder to have fun in the snow.

Yes locking center diff turns VSC off and I would think it's completely off - it works by alternating power to the wheels based on what's spinning so with center diff locked you have 50% equal power to front and back. Of course it could technically still apply more or less to each side of the front and rear, but I think the limited slip handles that on it's own (which remind me is just in the front?) so I think VSC is truly off when center diff locked - thoughts anyone else?

Had to drive the wife to work today, and it was sketchy on the back roads. The highway wasn't much better and I nearly got stuck on the same hill once again. That was pretty frustrating, I wish I had thought to hit the diff lock! My washer nozzles froze up, which reminded me of the heated washer fluid mod I have yet to do. I need to grab some washer fluid tubing and maybe a pair of the different nozzles I have seen mentioned to get this done sooner rather than later. I've been using the RainX orange fluid and this is the first time I have had that happen.

Yes locking center diff turns VSC off and I would think it's completely off - it works by alternating power to the wheels based on what's spinning so with center diff locked you have 50% equal power to front and back. Of course it could technically still apply more or less to each side of the front and rear, but I think the limited slip handles that on it's own (which remind me is just in the front?) so I think VSC is truly off when center diff locked - thoughts anyone else?
I think VSC is the system that cuts power when you get the least bit sideways (e.g., stops you from doing donuts in the snow). In the Tacoma and 4Runner, it can be turned "off" by pressing a button, but doesn't turn completely off unless you hold the button. The system that controls traction is TRAC (or A-TRAC) and I don't believe that it can be turned off in the GX. However, it simply won't engage over a certain RPM.

I want a "no nanny" button. One press, and its all off leaving me to handle things, one more press and its back on. Bluetribal, if you have a link to the harness diagram it would be appreciated, as well as any other thread links that might be helpful.

I want a "no nanny" button. One press, and its all off leaving me to handle things, one more press and its back on. Bluetribal, if you have a link to the harness diagram it would be appreciated, as well as any other thread links that might be helpful.
start [GX Offroad]

JLee, thanks for the link. I already had some of those, but I did not have the bigger electrical folder. I'm doing about ten things at once this morning and only got a chance to look through a few of them quickly. On the center diff lock manual, there is a "Detection Switch, Transfer L4 Position". If the "nanny" is switched off when the t-case is placed in low range would adding a switch to this detection switch kill the nanny in spite of not actually having place the t-case in low range? I need to load these on my tablet or print them out since the laptop screen is not ideal for looking at any sort of diagram.

Cool you got the link as well from @JLee I printed them all out in color and was hoping to look into this over the holidays but it didn't happen. And now I am focused on getting my rig Moab ready by March so this has taken a back seat for me. Hope you can figure it out in the meantime and a six pack from one of our 130 San Diego micro breweries will be heading your way! :cheers:

Can you mail :beer:?

Hello all. Just recently joined the family after a foolish old man totalled my V8 4runner. I installed a module (VSC OFF) made by another member from the T4R forum that effectively killed all of the nannies. I did retrieve that module after the demise of my 4runner. Came here looking to see if it had been done on a GX yet. Here is a link to the 4runner thread where it was tested.Kliv's VSC off mod for V8s too! - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum Instructions can also be found in link. I have not had time yet to dig in to see if any of the wiring is the same, but I hope to soon. Hope this helps some. This was without a doubt my favorite of the dozens of mods I had on my 4runner. Not sure if the guy is still making these modules or not,but I plan to reach out to him to see if he ever did any testing on this platform.

I haven't had a chance to sit down and dig into the wiring diagram, or to do any further research on this, but I did send an email to a guy that previously owned a GX470 who mentioned (on another forum) the plug on the master cylinder and having done it himself. No response, but I figure I will get into it again before very long. Thanks for the link, I now need to order a switch for when I do get around to this!

On FJ this seems really easy.

Too bad GX wiring is into the same. I trace the wiring on my 05 GX today and it's not the same.
There is EX14 on GX ABS/VSA/TC module but missing EX13 that FJ have. The module might be the same but pin 26 on GX is not even connected. If we could add this wire to this pon its just a matter of grounding this pin.

On FJ this seems really easy.

Too bad GX wiring is into the same. I trace the wiring on my 05 GX today and it's not the same.
There is EX14 on GX ABS/VSA/TC module but missing EX13 that FJ have. The module might be the same but pin 26 on GX is not even connected. If we could add this wire to this pon its just a matter of grounding this pin.

I sent them link to do that hack as I had done it on my FJC. May have something to do with the E-locker. I’ll dig around and find my paperwork as I want something similar for the GX

Looking at 07 FJ wiring diagram it does seems its just the wire for rear locker detection switch that they ground. They claim it disable everything but ATRAC still can be enabled disabled at any time.

Maybe grounding center diff detection switch will do the same thing for GX. Anybody know where is IO2 22 pin white connector is located?

The wiring diagram at GXOR is missing the pages that show where all the connector is located. Any chance someone can add that to the files?

This is the write-up that most of us have used to do the hacks. I had a early 07 and wanted the ability to engage A-TRAC and the E-locker at the same time. The early runs only allowed you to select one or the other. So this hack address that along with the others. Yes it will disable everything. You can engage the locker in 2WD or 4HI for folks that wanted to run dunes. Also will disengage VSC in 2WD if you just want to spin donuts in the snow.

VSC Switch + ATRAC Hack - RollMeOver

You’ll notice that he used 4Runner switches. I think with a little playing around, we should be able to get the same result with the GX. Has anyone figured out if you can add the A-TRAC button for these?

It's interesting that the instruction for FJ Cruiser above show supplying 12 volt to the circuit. The switch need to be turned on to enable VSC. The wiring diagram clearly shows that Pin 11 of connector LA2 on FJ Cruiser wiring harness would be grounded when rear diff lock detection switch was made. The switch ON LED indicator was actually became the path to ground when the swich was off and connect the VSC controller to ground.
84160-04010-SCHEMATIC.JPG

For ilustration the picture above shows "12 volt to fog relay" is wired to pin 11 of the LA2 connector in FJ wiring. "12 volt Power Source" is connected to the fused 12 volt that was on only when engine is running. When the switch is off the 12 volt to fog relay would be connected to ground. When the switch was on it would be connected to 12 volt while the "12 volt to Fog Relay" would also have +12 volt resulting in 0 voltage difference.

Back to GX wiring. I found the 18 pin Blue IB2 connetor right on the kick panel. Its slighty lower than the one shown in FJ video above.
IMG_20180225_100836_01_01.jpg

I need to try grounding Pin 7 to ground. This at least would disable VSC the same as locking the center diff without actualy locking the center diff. Pin 1 also goes to the instrument panel and might need to be cut to prevent confusing the center diff locked indicator.

To disable evertyhing might need to try addng pin 26 to the S37 connector that connect to the master cylinder assembly and see what happened when it was grounded.
IMG_20180225_100445_01.jpg

All is untested to no guarantee it would work or not. Use at you own risk.

Last edited:
I’m currently working with some folks downunder that are more versed with the Prado to see if I make the FJC hack work on the GX. I haven’t taken delivery of mine yet, but once in the driveway and having the ability to dig in, I’ll give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom