Smog pump questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DSB345

SILVER Star
Threads
I want to clean up and rebuild this smog pump but I'm running into a couple of problems. I need to remove the two tubes in the back and exhaust release cone on top for plating. I unbolted the back first and used a punch to get the back off.

20160301_170120.jpg

20160314_184026.jpg

I unbolted the pulley nut clockwise but have not removed the pulley yet
20160314_181749.jpg

20160314_181802.jpg

Now I need to remove the external elbows and breather. I see a lip on the inside that I think needs to be bent inward to remove the elbow so that's my first question and also where I'm stuck. Also, I need to remove the breather. How do I do that?

20160314_185245.jpg

20160314_185604.jpg

20160314_185615.jpg

I can't tell if it's riveted or not. I don't want to mess with it unless someone has done it before and can tell me how to do it. Otherwise I will just clean it up as is and replace the bearings. That I can do :)

I've done one myself and seen a few threads, but I've never seen it pulled apart that far. Isn't the breather riveted in place or something?

Must be why after they hot tank it on a rebuild, everything is the same color. Just replace a couple of bearings and charge the big bucks on Ebay.

The tubes could be cryo fit, where the tubes are cooled and the housing heated so they fit, but only once.

I'm not sure the tubes can be removed without messing them up. if you want you can send the whole piece for plating and mask it for paint when done. But be advised that if the shaft is not orientated correctly the vanes will self destruct. I made a press fit tool to center the shaft so it was perfect. within .001
IMG_2534.JPG
IMG_2535.JPG

I have not removed any shafts yet. Is that for aligning the front shaft on the pulley?

I'm not sure the tubes can be removed without messing them up. if you want you can send the whole piece for plating and mask it for paint when done. But be advised that if the shaft is not orientated correctly the vanes will self destruct. I made a press fit tool to center the shaft so it was perfect. within .001 View attachment 1225486 View attachment 1225487

I have not removed any shafts yet. Is that for aligning the front shaft on the pulley?

no its for the shaft that is offset attached to the rear housing (1st pic). Its what makes the vanes go in a wave pattern through the housing to "gulp" air as they rotate. you could press that shaft out and plate the whole rear housing and then re-install the shaft after you paint.

the front shaft is straight forward. Remove pulley and key, press it out along with the bearing, install in reverse. My local bearing supplier had all the bearings in stock. there is a thread here somewhere that explains the different types of bearing needed.

You mean the one on post #5? What did you make the material out of and I don't quite understand the purpose of exposed offset loop?

for centering the shaft while pressing it in. If the shaft is not clocked in the right position the vanes will not travel concentric with the front housing. If you don't feel comfortable pressing that shaft out, don't do it. It really has to be back in its exact position. But if you want to plate those elbows it has to come out. or just paint it all black and be done with it.

Understood!
Thank you for the advise. I really appreciate it.

for centering the shaft while pressing it in. If the shaft is not clocked in the right position the vanes will not travel concentric with the front housing. If you don't feel comfortable pressing that shaft out, don't do it. It really has to be back in its exact position. But if you want to plate those elbows it has to come out. or just paint it all black and be done with it.

Also, did you use wax, remove it and press out the template in plastic? Not sure how you made it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom