CA Smog question-- parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,
My 1980 CA FJ40 is in Europe and a 'keeper' that will pass to the next generation(s). I am conscious of trying to start sourcing some of more difficult items to find due to the CA smog stuff. Any help/ suggestions on what items that would be good to start accumulating for the day something might break and the challenge of sourcing while living in Europe would be greatly appreciated. Mine has electronic ignition as well.

Many thanks,
Ed

If you don’t know what is missing, pictures from different angles of the engine compartment will help identify what is missing / needed.

maybe don't register it in CA?

it will depend on the head if it has the ports for the air injection rail
probably need a different air cleaner, crank pulley, PS and Alternator are reversed compared to US, smog pump and bracket along with all the vacumn tubes and hoses, EGR you most likely need a different manifold setup, all the switching valves, etc, etc

probably need a different air cleaner, crank pulley, PS and Alternator are reversed compared to US, smog pump and bracket along with all the vacumn tubes and hoses, EGR you most likely need a different manifold setup, all the switching valves, etc, etc
Ed’s 40 is a NA emission equipped Cali Cruiser that’s been shipped to Europe.

@Spike Strip

I know who will know :

9CFDE5D6-E399-4519-825E-5F436EA39BC7.jpeg

My 1978 FJ40 was originally a CA spec vehicle and it's now powered by an LS engine. I have some of the engine emissions stuff from the original engine. But honestly I don't know all of the differences between the CA spec vehicles and the 49 state spec vehicles. I also don't know if the parts are the same between 1978 and 1980...

Ed’s 40 is a NA emission equipped Cali Cruiser that’s been shipped to Europe.

I missed that where it is an original CA rig now in Europe., skip all I stated above.

My 1978 FJ40 was originally a CA spec vehicle and it's now powered by an LS engine. I have some of the engine emissions stuff from the original engine. But honestly I don't know all of the differences between the CA spec vehicles and the 49 state spec vehicles. I also don't know if the parts are the same between 1978 and 1980...
Your emissions equipment is completely different than a 1980.

Thanks for all your replies. Sorry if this was unclear. This is an ORIGINAL 1980 CA FJ40 (VINFJ40LV- KCJA; FJ40-317787) That I imported to Europe.

I am simply trying to 'collect' the difficult to find parts for my progeny and future family owners, knowing that in Europe this CA Smog stuff is impossible to find. The FJ40 is a wonderful part of the family and want to keep it going and going.... any help is suggesting what items are particularly rare or hard to replace would be most appreciated and then I can slowly commence in the "hunt". Trying to keep as much original as possible.

Many thanks in advance for any and all help,

Best,
Ed

Get a spare EGR inlet pipe when you can. Mine broke when I removed it to gain access to something else. It was not difficult to find an used pipe a few years back, but I believe it'll become much harder as time goes by.

Definitely keep your smog pump. Fortunately, it can be rebuilt.

I bought an spare EGR valve as well, but you should be able to decarbonize the existing one if you have to.

I would get new BVSVs for the thermostat housing. There's a purple, green, and pink one. These are made of plastic and will eventually become brittle if not already.

Get a spare EGR inlet pipe when you can. Mine broke when I removed it to gain access to something else. It was not difficult to find an used pipe a few years back, but I believe it'll become much harder as time goes by.

Definitely keep your smog pump. Fortunately, it can be rebuilt.

I bought an spare EGR valve as well, but you should be able to decarbonize the existing one if you have to.

I would get new BVSVs for the thermostat housing. There's a purple, green, and pink one. These are made of plastic and will eventually become brittle if not already.
Thank You-- that is a great start...now the 'treasure' hunt starts so open to any and all suggestions where to look from across the pond.

just a heads up
the 1979 and 1980 use a different smog pump than the later 1981+ version, they are not interchangeable without changing the PS pump and bracket

the PS sits lower and the smog pump is smaller/shorter

Thanks for all your replies. Sorry if this was unclear. This is an ORIGINAL 1980 CA FJ40 (VINFJ40LV- KCJA; FJ40-317787) That I imported to Europe.

I am simply trying to 'collect' the difficult to find parts for my progeny and future family owners, knowing that in Europe this CA Smog stuff is impossible to find. The FJ40 is a wonderful part of the family and want to keep it going and going.... any help is suggesting what items are particularly rare or hard to replace would be most appreciated and then I can slowly commence in the "hunt". Trying to keep as much original as possible.

Many thanks in advance for any and all help,

Best,
Ed
Because it isn’t currently registered in Europe or you think it might fail some future standard or they might want to export it to California in the future? Apologies for the long winded question. Having lived in Europe twice I was just curious regarding the background for your query. Thanks.

Because it isn’t currently registered in Europe or you think it might fail some future standard or they might want to export it to California in the future? Apologies for the long winded question. Having lived in Europe twice I was just curious regarding the background for your query. Thanks.
I have been in Europe since 1980....but trying to keep the FJ40 original as much as possible and not likely to return with FJ40 to US. Hence trying to source in advance of potential issues the hard to find (at least in Europe) the CA smog stuff-- which as you know looks like 'spaghetti junction' when compared with a standard FJ40. So any leads, pointers where to source some of the likely culprits that can go bad over time to have handy would be great-- also for the 'kids' when it goes to them... I am now retired but livening in London.
Thanks again,
Ed

Specter off road (SOR.com) is currently having a repair / service manual sale. Buy an emissions repair manual. There are 2, the production date split is 8/80 so get the right one. Also chassis and engine manuals if you need them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom