Slow range options... need advice/options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy-

So I installed my new "over drive" installed last week (35" MTR's) sweet tires, great ride, forgot all about the plush feel of radials!

Anyhow, now my 4:11's are running like an over drive... pretty sweet since this is my DD. But for the slow stuff, Moab, Colorado Trails and the like, I was wondering what are my options for slow range gears...

I would like to keep the 4:11's in the chuncks, I am getting good road mileage for the first time ever, but I was wondering, does anyone make slow range gears for the case, somewhere around 4:1?

What are my tranny options, and keeping the fj40 t-case?

Thanks, new water for me... both getting good MPG and needing to slow up my 4 Low. :)

Also, should I double post over in the hardcore section on this?

Thanks in Advance-

Rezarf <><

What about the NV4500?

that is a 5 speed, doesnt it have a good 1st too?

Thanks Pablo Cruise-

Anyone else-

Rezarf <><

What are my tranny options said:
A non-USA four-speed tranny

A 465 tranny

A 420 tranny

A nv4500 tranny

If you intend on staying with a Toyota t-case.

What tranny and tcase are you currently running?

Marks does not offer low range gear sets for the one-piece tcase, only the split cases.

Good luck!

-Steve

hmmm...Orion!!!! ;) get poser to build it...bolts in, 4 to 1 low range...I also hear advanced adapters is making the HD version pre-assembled...

A doubler, a little harder in a 40 but doable, marlin crawler, more money, driveline mods, a bit more complicated install.

I'm in the same boat as you, another year of wheeling fast style until i can get an orion...

With the Orion, you are at 65 to 1 crawl ratio, with stock tranny, and 4.11 diffs...

Poser said:
A non-USA four-speed tranny

A 465 tranny

A 420 tranny

A nv4500 tranny

If you intend on staying with a Toyota t-case.

What tranny and tcase are you currently running?

Marks does not offer low range gear sets for the one-piece tcase, only the split cases.

Good luck!

-Steve

i'm surprised you're not still pimping your orions :D

nuclearlemon said:
i'm surprised you're not still pimping your orions :D

cute Ingrid.

Did you miss this part in his post....

" What are my tranny options, and keeping the fj40 t-case? "

;p

dunno if your interested but one the guys in my club has a h55f and split case with 3.0 gears dunno what hes asking though

silly low:

DSC00640.JPG

A different tack on the same subject:
Does anyone know of a heavier than stock flywheel for a F/2F engine? If more weight could be on the back swinging it could let the engine chug along at VERY low rpm with any gearing. Like one of those old single pumpers in old tractors - get it turning even with real low compression and it's unstoppable no matter what gets in the way.
It's not like it's never been done before - my old GMC with 305 V6 had a flywheel that had to have been 150# + . With a 420 granny low I could get out and walk alongside the truck in the middle of a lumpy newly disced field.

well I think that you would find that the F flywheel/ clutch PP is heavier than the 2f set up. It has been said that if you want more chuging along go with the f set up. but it dose not have as much clamping power.

Ditto what Fox said! I LOVE playing in the toybox...

-does anyone make slow range gears for the case, somewhere around 4:1?

Rezarf <><[/QUOTE]

If I make enough $ this summer, I'm going to do the H41 and Orion-81:1!!

No driveline changes!!!

Stupid question

timbercruiser said:
-does anyone make slow range gears for the case, somewhere around 4:1?

Rezarf <><

No driveline changes!!![/QUOTE]

H41? All I know is it is a Toyota tranny right? What are the different ones out there, stock ones that is...

Rezarf <><

REZARF said:

No driveline changes!!!

H41? All I know is it is a Toyota tranny right? What are the different ones out there, stock ones that is...

Rezarf <><[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the H41 is a toyota tranny.

There are 2 versions of the H41.
one of them is a 4.925:1 first
the other is a 5.299:1 first.

The lower of the 2 was available in FJ55's as an option in 1970, IIRC, these were 10 spline outputs, and bolted to the 3 speed bellhousing, and the "3-speed" transfer case bolted right up to the back of it.

Another option is the H55F which is a toyota 5 speed transmission. This bolts to the later 2F and 3F bellhousing. You need a split transfercase for this transmission, or you can do an NP203 doubler to any t-case you want. The supplier of the necessary adapters aer VERY limited, though.

For cheap low gearing, it's tough to beat an SM420 conversion.

SM420, what does it have for a 1st gear?

I also heard the NV4500 has like a 7.something first!? Is that right, with an overdrive, that seems pretty sweet...

Rezarf <><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom