Slow range options... need advice/options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

REZARF said:
SM420, what does it have for a 1st gear?

I also heard the NV4500 has like a 7.something first!? Is that right, with an overdrive, that seems pretty sweet...

Rezarf <><

SM420 has a 7.01:1 first gear.

NV4500 has either a 5.61:1 or a 6.34:1

Hereis a table with everything you should need to know:

http://cjford.stormloader.com/Tech/mantransinfo1.htm

Keep im mind, the NV4500 was designed for a small block or a turbo-diesel. The 2F will have a REALLY hard time pushing one.

Tigerstripe40 said:
Keep im mind, the NV4500 was designed for a small block or a turbo-diesel. The 2F will have a REALLY hard time pushing one.

Please elaborate on this opinion....

Poser said:
Please elaborate on this opinion....

I've driven one.
It had 4.11's a 2F, 35's and an NV4500.

First to second to third was OK. Third to 4th was a little wide. 4th to 5th was impossible. The engine would bog down, and you would have to down shift to 4th.

4.88's may have fixed that.

Then I drove an identically configured H55 setup. (4.11's, 2F, 35's and an H55) It was smooth, nice to shift, and the spread between the gears were as if the H55 was designed to be there (how about that!).

IMHO I think it is really hard to have it all with an FJ40. With a stock 2F motor its tough to go 85-mph on the highway with great gas economy AND enjoy a 100:1 crawl on the trail. You can try to do this but it will cost you.

I like the 2F. I like to use Land Cruiser components on my truck as much as possible. My 40 is really set up as a moderate wheeler: SOA using 55 springs, SR, PS, 4.88's H4i imported Land Cruiser tranny and Orion tcase. I have about 98:1 crawl ratio which is nice. Its slow on the road though. Keeping up with higher geared V8 40's on the highway is impossible. But I really don't drive the 40 that much so for me it is not that much of an issue. I would rather have this than an extensive V8/GM tranny combo project. Quite a few of my cruiser friends have stockish rigs with 2F's etc which is really nice. I like having a group of rigs that have similar proven classic components: It gives you something to talk about and trail fixes are easier with the group knowledge factor and shared parts.

Obviously one can build a franken-truck from an FJ40; replacing everything with a modern power engine, fuel injection, power RAM steering, fancy cooling systems, custom wiring, coil springs, modern 5 speeds, low-crawl boxes, custom gauges, roll cage, racing seats, lighting etc, etc. But such a beast is not really a land Cruiser any more. Other than some sheet metal and emblems what cruiser is left? I like going out in a classic cruiser with a bunch of like minded guys who enjoy the same thing. An FJ40 or 55 can never serve every desire for high & low performance and comfort. Many a land cruiser owner has tinkered and modified his truck so much that his starts to begin beating for a stock rig all over again...

Cheers,

Max

The H41 is the overseas version of our 4speed. It has a 4.9:1 first gear (and 5.2? cool!)
It is a direct replacement-and so is the Orion. I like simple, so that is why I am planning my mods that way.

timbercruiser said:
The H41 is the overseas version of our 4speed. It has a 4.9:1 first gear (and 5.2? cool!)
It is a direct replacement-and so is the Orion. I like simple, so that is why I am planning my mods that way.

Where can you get an H41 if they were overseas spec?

thanks-

Rezarf <><

Good H41's are getting scarcer. MAF and SOR sell them. They are usually imported from Australia. An H41 in good condition is worth considerably more than a H42 in equal condition. 4th gear in both tranny's is the same. 2nd and 3rd is slightly lower in the H41. The main difference is 1st where the h41 is 4.95:1 vs 3.55:1 for the H42. This is not a huge difference but it makes a big difference when you change gears in the chunks and the gearing in the tcase at the same time. Your crawl ratio is the product of those three numbers. So making those three numbers slightly larger and multiplying them together makes a considerable difference in the slow stuff. The nice thing about the H41 is that it is a Land Cruiser tranny: it bolts right in with the stock case and housing etc. Your drive shafts etc all work. I think the H41 is an asset. You can move it from rig to rig without too many hassles etc.

Max

does anybody know about a group buy goin together soon for some h41s?

malphrus
(i just talked to 3pits about it on wednesday, but now i can't remember who he said was puttin it together)

also, does anybody know if marlin sells just the toybox? as in, no tranny or xfercase adapter plates at all?

i saw that they sell the adapter plates individually, but couldn't find just the box....

http://www.marlincrawler.com/dual_toybox.html

malphrus

All the Toybox pieces are available sold seperatly. When they first put the Toybox on their Website is was a little confusing what you needed for which application so now they list the entire thing as one part number.

That is the beauty of the Toybox IMHO, if I blow my tranny or decide to switch to a different xfercase I get to keep my Toybox and simply buy a new adapter plate for whatever tranny or xfer I want to run.

thanks john

i'm leanin towards the toybox for my 40, mostly b/c i want as many shifters in the trucks as possible.....ha ha

do you know how much just the box is, stand-alone?

malphrus

72cruiser said:
also, does anybody know if marlin sells just the toybox? as in, no tranny or xfercase adapter plates at all?

i saw that they sell the adapter plates individually, but couldn't find just the box....

http://www.marlincrawler.com/dual_toybox.html

malphrus

Well, the Toybox is simply the gear reduction portion of a minitruck t-case.
So get yourself a 4cyl minitruck t-case and take it apart. Take the gear reduction portion and have at it...

I don't know what you would od with it without an adapter, though....

honk said:
A different tack on the same subject:
Does anyone know of a heavier than stock flywheel for a F/2F engine? If more weight could be on the back swinging it could let the engine chug along at VERY low rpm with any gearing.

I have heard of drilling holes and filling them with lead. Not on the clutch surface though, only on the outside. It'd have to balanced too. Talk to an engine shop, they might know more about it.

Sorry for the late post, kinda been out of town.... :cheers:

72cruiser said:
does anybody know about a group buy goin together soon for some h41s?

malphrus
(i just talked to 3pits about it on wednesday, but now i can't remember who he said was puttin it together)

Deal me in on that one!!

Tigerstripe40 said:
I don't know what you would od with it without an adapter, though....

if the adapter is simply a plate, i can fabricate one for way less than $449....
if it's something more complex, we'll see then

and thanks for the info on the box, i'll check into that

malphrus

timbercruiser said:
Deal me in on that one!!

i'll do what i can....

malphrus

Tigerstripe40 said:
Well, the Toybox is simply the gear reduction portion of a minitruck t-case.
QUOTE]

are you sure about this? i'm lookin at the marlin site, and the pics of the boxes don't look too similar.

minitruck case:
crawlbox_500.jpg

toybox:
toybox_325.jpg

i'm not tryin to be a jerk or anything, ha ha, so please don't take it that way...i'm just tryin to figure this out

malphrus

wait a second.....my bad

ha ha, i think the pics are just of different sides of the box. d'oh.

i found another one of the toybox, and it looks more like the minitruck one:

tblc228s.jpg

malphrus

Anyone know AA is the only seller of 203 GRB to 1 piece cruiser cases? Any other options available? Nothing against AA, just wanted to check prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom