Slow range options... need advice/options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

REZARF said:
Howdy-

So I installed my new "over drive" installed last week (35" MTR's) sweet tires, great ride, forgot all about the plush feel of radials!

Anyhow, now my 4:11's are running like an over drive... pretty sweet since this is my DD. But for the slow stuff, Moab, Colorado Trails and the like, I was wondering what are my options for slow range gears...

I would like to keep the 4:11's in the chuncks, I am getting good road mileage for the first time ever, but I was wondering, does anyone make slow range gears for the case, somewhere around 4:1?

What are my tranny options, and keeping the fj40 t-case?

A similar question of mine leads to me now having a NOS Sm420 on its way from Cali as I type. :D

An SM420, however, has very large shift point gaps, fine for most trucks, but not great for a DD. My truck will see plenty of road time with it, but I still have an 80 to drive every day.

I would look into the SM465 if I were you, a bit easier to find, better shifting, (points and smoothness) and Woody now has great adapters available for a reasonable price.

(The reason i didn't use the SM465 I had at one point was the high price of available adapters).

The H41 is a huge improvement over a 3 spd, but not so much over an H42. Not sure it is worth the time and money. My NOS sm420 (twice the first gear) cost half of what most good used H41's bring). Keep in mind there is adapter cost etc.

CruisinGA said:
I would look into the SM465 if I were you, a bit easier to find, better shifting, (points and smoothness) and Woody now has great adapters available for a reasonable price.

What adapters does Woody have?

I think cruiserparts.net is putting an aussie order together to get the h41s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom