Slee front bumper vs Dissent Offroad front bumper pros and cons? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kabanstva

SILVER Star
Threads
I am having a difficult time deciding on a front bumper for my LX with AHC. I believe I narrowed it down to Slee vs Dissent offroad because to me they look similar, offer similar features, and are both very visually appealing.

Based on my observation they look like they have similar approach angles (more clearance than other brands) and both have recovery points.

The main differences (again based on my observation) is the Dissent is a 3 piece (not sure why it matters too much, I can't see ever damaging the sides of either one because of how much clearance they provide), offers a foglight option, and I am guessing should be lighter if you get the aluminum sides (not sure the weight differences between the two).

Which bumper did you choose and why? Would love to hear your opinions and recommendations!

IMG_0126.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG
Both are great options but here are a few selling points of my bumpers and reasons behind the design.
The dissent steel bumper is designed with an internally structured 10 ga steel frame making it extremely strong but fairly light, i believe it's the lightest steel bumper with itagrated winch accommodations weighing in around 95lbs. The aluminum steel hybrid is around 65lbs. Weight will definitely need to be considered when retaining the AHC. The modular design is much more than just the ability to change 1 damaged part, it allows easy installation and removal by one person, ease of custom two tone color options, several different light and bull bar options and the ability to add and remove these options at anytime when you feel the need to change things up a bit. The recovery caps that tie the three pieces together are strategically designed to be the main point of contact in heavy off-road use as this is the strongest part of the bumper plus it's easy to replace if needed. It also has an enclosed winch which is crucial for protection of the synthetic winch line if you go that route.
The bumper comes standard with top light accommodations and will except most offroad lights and light bars without modification. All bumpers are custom made to order by myself and extreme pride is taken with the welding and finishing of the bumper.
The cons are going to be the lead time and the bumpers ship uncoated.
But any one who has one will say it's worth the wait. That being said the slee bumper is top notch and looks great as well. Here are a few pics of a few of the different options that are offered. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Thanks!
Ben.

Last edited:
View attachment 1608869 View attachment 1608870 View attachment 1608871 View attachment 1608872 View attachment 1608873 Both are great options but here are a few selling points of my bumpers and reasons behind the design.
The dissent steel bumper is designed with an internally structured 10 ga steel frame making it extremely strong but fairly light, i believe it's the lightest steel bumper with itagrated winch accommodations weighing in around 95lbs. The aluminum steel hybrid is around 65lbs. Weight will definitely need to be considered when retaining the AHC. The modular design is much more than just the ability to change 1 damaged part, it allows easy installation and removal by one person, ease of custom two tone color options, several different light and bull bar options and the ability to add and remove these options at anytime when you feel the need to change things up a bit. The recovery caps that tie the three pieces together are strategically designed to be the main point of contact in heavy off-road use as this is the strongest part of the bumper plus it's easy to replace if needed. It also has an enclosed winch which is crucial for protection of the synthetic winch line if you go that route.
The bumper comes standard with top light accommodations and will except most offroad lights and light bars without modification. All bumpers are custom made to order by myself and extreme pride is taken with the welding and finishing of the bumper.
The cons are going to be the lead time and the bumpers ship uncoated.
But any one who has one will say it's worth the wait. That being said the slee bumper is top notch and looks great as well. Here are a few pics of a few of the different options that are offered. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Thanks!
Ben.

I’m looking for a front bumper to too. Love the design! You have a picture of a silver LX with the bumper?

I’m looking for a front bumper to too. Love the design! You have a picture of a silver LX with the bumper?
Sorry, I'm sure there are some out there but unfortunately I do not.

I would say both are not only great options but probably the two best options for the 100. But if you are looking for the nitty gritty that would tip the scales, I'd say Slee's bumpers is geared a little more towards rocks bashing and Dissent's bumper is probably more in line with the general purpose of the 100. I agree with many points Ben has said, however, I do like the open winch cradle on Slee's. With slightly modification, I can service and swap out an M12000 winch on my LX without removing the bumper. UV protection is not a problem with a simple winch line cover. The side caps on the Slee are extremely stout... there's no need to replace them because if you did, you'd have bigger issues on hand. Benc's front bumper has more options. The lighter weight is definitely an advantage and it actually looks like less overhang in the front. But I'm not exactly a fan of my synthetic winchline pointed down, towards the rocks. I try and trust my spotter but they aren't going to buy me new winch line!

In the end, I like them both. Can't go wrong with either.

Have the dissent on my (was until last weekend) AHC equipt lx and it had no issues with the weight. The quality is second to none as I’d imagine the slee is as well but the slee if I’m not mistaken is quite a bit heavier. I love the design of the dissent and the amount of options it potentially has but weight was for sure a factor because I wasn’t sure when I was going to swap out my AHC and didn’t want to add a bunch of weight

I am thinking of replacement of my ARB for the dissent... I have bumper envy :beer: those pictures are great..

Dissent looks so good and clean, but make sure your under carriage is free of rust, or paint the rust, because it shows a lot of what's going on down there on the truck. That's probably my future bumper once i fully commit to building this rig.

ACC Garage installed my Dissent bumper. These guys have installed hundreds of bumpers on Land Cruisers - ARB, Ironman, Slee, TJM, 4x4 Labs, custom, etc. When they were in the middle of the job, I wandered back and asked how it was going. The guy doing the work said "Dude.... this is ridiculous. Look at these welds. Look how it's braced. This thing is more like a sculpture than a bumper." I asked how it was fitting. He said "Like I just took it off. Seriously. It's like I'm reinstalling an OE part." And mine was one of the first Ben made.

Last edited:
My vote is Dissent: the design is both highly functional and asthetically appealing. Available in steel or aluminum(hybrid) The fit is perfect and workmanship (welding) couldnt be better. I have had mine mounted for almost 2 years, great product.

Last point is that Ben is an active supporter and enthusiast in the Mud community. He’s a 1 man shop solely dedicated to creating best in class steel & aluminimum products for our Toyotas. I watched in amazement at HIH7 as he donated front & rear bumpers, roof racks etc. literally thousands $$$ out of his pocket to give back to the community. If your on the fence, your money is well spent with Ben in receiving a top quality product and at the same time supporting small business.

If Dissent was available 5 years ago, I would have chosen it over Slee for both front & rear bumpers.

I selected the Dissent because:

Lighter weight (but clever bracing mitigates less use of steel)

Lovely construction quality (but slee is probably good too)

Can customize with stinger, bars, or like me, no bars, no light cutouts for minimalist look and lighter weight.

Can choose un-coated. I powder coated locally. Front bumper, rear bumper, and sliders all one color of my choice. Slee you just get what you get.

A little cheaper

I prefer the look and lines of the Dissent, simpler straighter lines that compliment ~2000 era styling of the LC. The Slee is a little "transformers" looking for me, but that's just personal taste.

Cons. Not much, can't say much against, but a couple of minor things:

3 piece makes it a bit more work to install than a one piece, more pieces to align and get correct.

Fasteners were not metric, which I think is odd because it is a metric truck. Would prefer metric.

Summary:
Mine is perfect for me, and working with Ben on my order was a pleasure.

_DSC7548.NEF.jpg
_DSC7620.NEF.jpg
IMG_3515.JPG

Last edited:
Boo......none for 200's

What the turn around time? I've heard from pretty insane lead times on Dissent products. That should be considered as well.

What the turn around time? I've heard from pretty insane lead times on Dissent products. That should be considered as well.
Yes there is potentially a decent lead time... only Ben could say but in my opinion..... worth the wait if it’s what you want...

Both are awesome, probably would have gotten a dissent because I like the look slightly better, but the Slee was dilivered in 2 days after payment to my door in California. The wait time is the only knock against the dissent. That being said, my slee is really awesome too. Zero complaints. I cut in some recessed LED pod fogs and it was one of the most difficult job on my entire truck cutting through that thick metal.

I'm sure Ben will chime in at some point about lead times. But since he went full time in the FAB business I think the lead times have improved. Keep in mind that any of the custom bumper fabricators are generally 6-8 weeks out depending on season. I think Slee is the only one that has inventory on hand- but there again slee is not customizable.

The Slee bumpers are very high quality. They arrive in the most bomb-proof packaging I have ever seen from any vendor. Slee answers the phone when you call, has product in stock and it arrives ready to install right out of the box. Another big plus is the fit. Everything lines up perfect, they send all new hardware and shims. Their instructions are idiot proof with plenty of photos. I don’t have a single negative comment about any of their products. I have the rear bumper with ladder+Jerry can as well as the rear tire carrier. I also have the front bumper, diff drop and second battery tray.

I am not sure that any more than this needs to be said

IMG_1908_zpsdflbzuqm.jpg

But really

Pro: great design, great support, all around great guy, local purchase (only 3hrs from me), new guy on the block

Con: lead time, lead time, lead time.... but good things come to those that wait!

At the end of the day you can’t go wrong with either. Slee is great and I have ordered product from him and would not hesitate to do so again. I think the origional reason that I went with Dissent was that he is from my home town and I always like to support local as much as possible, plus he was able to install since I did. It have time... all in all I was not at all disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom