Builds Skips FJ 35 BUILD (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here we have the bottom frame works to mount the seats in process to the cage.
4557FB0C-3FC7-4267-891F-ECB766500ABF.png
80DC01ED-4D82-493B-9D02-2843D1A993C7.png

Did you use a wiper motor to mock up the cage spacing from the windshield?

Cage looks good. I am back and fourth as if I want one or not. Your cage is convincing.

Did you use a wiper motor to mock up the cage spacing from the windshield?

Cage looks good. I am back and fourth as if I want one or not. Your cage is convincing.
Hard to tell with the pics there is a wiper motor on the right side. Used the 1970 wiper unite from the tub and windshield. Additionally If I hadn’t added 8” to the back of the tub it would of been a no go for a conferrable fit with the cage, worked out just right, I am 5’ 10”. Luke from 4x4 Labs is 6’3” and it works for him also.

Last edited:
This last week or so has been a busy and productive time for the 35. , as seen in the above pics. I went up to 4x4 Labs and took care of the bill gladly, work was outstanding as usual and prompt. The ol girl will be coming home next week in between the rain storms so the bare metal doesn’t start getting eaten up by the rust beatles. Still things to be done, rear bumper install have all the attachments waiting that were burned on a plasma table will look nice. Steering column adjusted up 2” then it will be perfect. Then nickle and dime stuff and ready for the trip to North West Diesel Offroad for the engine
Mercedes 606 install, final body work, paint and assembly, getting excited.

Well I am back from my travels from here and there helping my son. Truck is home and I am back on things that need to be finished or adjusted. What I am working on now are the window wipers and installing the motor and adjoining parts. The set up is off the original tub 1970 window frame and I am doing a modification to use them on the safari window frame I have. The issue I am having is the mounting holes are two close together on the safari frame by a bit and I need to find out the accurate whole spread on the stock 70 window frame which I don’t have. So if someone out in MUD Land that has a to a 70 tub with the original frame would measure center to center it would be much appreciated. In advance thanks a bunch.
Skip
PS Also need the nuts for the main part that goes through the windshield, I think the are 12mm
And about 1/2 to an original nut where do you find them.

Last edited:
Started laying out the wiper motor and decided to reevaluate the placement of the stock motors instead of changing the length spread between the motors. Franken45 gave me a hand with the measurements as he is doing the same type of build up in Montana. The reason I am doing this which will be some work drilling new holes is simple, the geometry of the blade swing needs to be the same as stock. So it will be less work in the long run. I will keep you guys posted as I work through this process as I go.

Well, well, well, it is like Christmas as I just received my front and rear axles shafts today from RCV. Because of the cov-19 issue it has been many moons.pics below M300 And nickle plated, plenty strong see the pics below and the pics they don’t give them justice.
4F5CFA15-CC11-4D68-8D0D-EC69EA00BDC3.jpeg
23FCD57C-7135-41F8-8D79-BA16FEACF495.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been spending most of my Time on my real 45 that I am thinking that I need to start a separate listing in the 45 section. There are some of the posts in this section but will continue in the new listing. Think I will call it Skips 45 rebuild. Below is a pic of the new to me a 25 grill I purchased from my friend at Marks Offroad, check it out Mark.
E05940A5-686A-4C21-91A6-086EDF9EC09C.jpeg

Final fit and tack for the rear bumper. Rear crossmember is1/4” all the rest, bumper and brackets are 3/16” with the frame plated I don’t think it will fail anytime soon. All the reveals are set with tacked members so if there is a need to move anything it will be easy to do. Additionally the bed floor was checked and then chalked lined for spacing out the rosettes to drill and attach it to the bed frame next setting. The bed frame was final checked for placement all and all a great day in the shop, keep checking the jobs off one by one.
F113790B-B123-498D-B78F-1C6717788530.jpeg

TNX Jim, trying to make it as pretty as I can.
Started back on the 35, today I am filling holes in the top side rails for the bed. I have new hooks from Kevin in Canada that I got before he shut down. Additionally I had to change the position because of the hooks difference in length. Anyhow here ya go keeping in mind that it is a slow and go so the warpage is to a minim. I also put a small insert or slug in the hole to help with that issue as seen in the unwelded hole.
A6902D94-5C6E-437D-9375-81D417F981A0.jpeg

Started back on the 35, today I am filling holes in the top side rails for the bed. I have new hooks from Kevin in Canada that I got before he shut down. Additionally I had to change the position because of the hooks difference in length. Anyhow here ya go keeping in mind that it is a slow and go so the warpage is to a minim. I also put a small insert or slug in the hole to help with that issue as seen in the unwelded hole.View attachment 2394259
This is the first shot
9CE78F37-5840-41B2-B285-ECF48051A464.jpeg

I replied early this morning as I couldn’t sleep so I went out to the shop at 3am. Worked for a couple and decided to come back in then back out later on today. Anyhow I just about finished the top rails and ground them down then started on the back apron tail lights. Kevin made them for stock 45 lights smaller than later 45 so instead of going stock I made them wider for later models. As seen in the pics, always something to modify and do. The example is of the new expanded socket I think it turned out nice, good ol fashion metal work that you see.
FFB97EDA-3C74-4E7E-9D76-61DA3E42346B.jpeg

I replied early this morning as I couldn’t sleep so I went out to the shop at 3am. Worked for a couple and decided to come back in then back out later on today. Anyhow I just about finished the top rails and ground them down then started on the back apron tail lights. Kevin made them for stock 45 lights smaller than later 45 so instead of going stock I made them wider for later models. As seen in the pics, always something to modify and do. The example is of the new expanded socket I think it turned out nice, good ol fashion metal work that you see.View attachment 2394753
Finished both rear apron’s today and have a pic of one with the light inserted i think they turned out nice one for the 45 and the other for the 35.
890F5132-7CDC-4004-B714-2F37E115CF13.jpeg

Finished both rear apron’s today and have a pic of one with the light inserted i think they turned out nice one for the 45 and the other for the 35.
View attachment 2396600
Been multi tasking between the 2 trucks with putting most of my time in on the 45 for another trip up to Idaho in mid October. In the multi tasking part getting the tailgate hinges for all the applications I own. I will do extras for for requests while I am at it for people that are in need darn rascals are as rare as hens teeth. As for the 35 I have been scrounging the stock piles in the storage department for all the small pieces that need to get bead blasted for cad plating and Powder Coating soon. Pics to follow when I have all the parts ready. Today is a peek at the hinges as I set them up for the assembly fixture making sure on the specks.
DF1E0919-0C47-4DDB-8259-AEE9E7F22AE0.jpeg
7F3A3F23-FE86-40AC-AE49-F6CF5759BC1B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom