Builds Skips FJ 35 BUILD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Back from a 2 + week get away with the wife. Checking out some possible places to live other than Cali, noting I could do. However I picked up the rear bed sides that I roughed in and had a guy finish it for me. Just sitting there with clamps. Will need to cut out the rear rt lower corner to fit around the bumper so I can lower it about 1” or less all and all I am a happy boy. Now I can finish the bed and rear bumper. Feels good to be home and back on track.
C53F2CE4-FBC3-45BB-A37A-2AA7B41F9876.jpeg

Back from a 2 + week get away with the wife. Checking out some possible places to live other than Cali, noting I could do. However I picked up the rear bed sides that I roughed in and had a guy finish it for me. Just sitting there with clamps. Will need to cut out the rear rt lower corner to fit around the bumper so I can lower it about 1” or less all and all I am a happy boy. Now I can finish the bed and rear bumper. Feels good to be home and back on track. View attachment 2481345
My wife and I did the same thing back in June. ABC - Anywhere But California.
Keep up the good work!

My wife and I did the same thing back in June. ABC - Anywhere But California.
Keep up the good work!
We went threw oregon, Washington and Idaho nothing in our price range, however liked Sand Point the best. Also liked the in between area Sand Point and Athol. Prices are better and houses are better for the buck, but all bought up. Last stop was Boise still not much for selection and traffic was a mess. So still going to look Cali is not an option now after living here all my life.

We went through Wyoming and the Black Hills in South Dakota (Rapid City). I lived there when I was a kid so I knew what to expect, and the wife loved it.

We went threw oregon, Washington and Idaho nothing in our price range, however liked Sand Point the best. Also liked the in between area Sand Point and Athol. Prices are better and houses are better for the buck, but all bought up. Last stop was Boise still not much for selection and traffic was a mess. So still going to look Cali is not an option now after living here all my life.

Last edited:
I agree on waiting unless you are selling, in Reno it it weird in all the apartments they built (there are an insane amount) people are not paying rent but houses come on the market and sell in 2-3 days if priced anywhere near reasonable. Here the number of Komiefornia escapees grows by the day... If you dont mind the cold look over north of Salt Lake City, Logan and many of the little towns that are out of commuteable distance are still reasonable.. There is also St George Ut and the surrounding area but that has really taken off and prices are going up... Good luck...

Remember peek baby boomer retirement is in 2022, over 2k a day retiring and looking to downsize.. That alone will mess up the housing market and no one has any idea. With what is going on in the rest of the world with Covid the world economy is going to get weird in the next year of two... I just look at the stock market and think what happens when all these people who have been putting money in start taking it back out and where will things go... Many predict interest rates will double in 2022 and 2023 due to pressure from all the retire's pulling money. Ohh and the amout of money is staggering, you have to remember every country has a boomer generation. This isn't a US problem right now with housing and cheep money it is a world wide problem...

amazing work by the way/ as always.........I really like the roll cage...

I agree on waiting unless you are selling, in Reno it it weird in all the apartments they built (there are an insane amount) people are not paying rent but houses come on the market and sell in 2-3 days if priced anywhere near reasonable. Here the number of Komiefornia escapees grows by the day... If you dont mind the cold look over north of Salt Lake City, Logan and many of the little towns that are out of commuteable distance are still reasonable.. There is also St George Ut and the surrounding area but that has really taken off and prices are going up... Good luck...

Remember peek baby boomer retirement is in 2022, over 2k a day retiring and looking to downsize.. That alone will mess up the housing market and no one has any idea. With what is going on in the rest of the world with Covid the world economy is going to get weird in the next year of two... I just look at the stock market and think what happens when all these people who have been putting money in start taking it back out and where will things go... Many predict interest rates will double in 2022 and 2023 due to pressure from all the retire's pulling money. Ohh and the amout of money is staggering, you have to remember every country has a boomer generation. This isn't a US problem right now with housing and cheep money it is a world wide problem...
I agree with you Ray Jon, things are in the changing mode. Let’s get through the election and go from there.

amazing work by the way/ as always.........I really like the roll cage...
Ya it is nice I like it also, Luke at 4x4 labs did it for me I don’t have a tubing bender nor the expertise to engineer it some things I just farm out and just enjoy them.

Sweet work! As a resident of southwest oregon I declare we are witnessing the exodus from elsewhere to here..
Kief
Ya anywhere but CALI is the name of the game. After my trip I could see it is much better in other places not so much government intervention like Cali. Houses are not cheaper but the supporting services are.

We went through Wyoming and the Black Hills in South Dakota (Rapid City). I lived there when I was a kid so I knew what to expect, and the wife loved it.
Ya I have herd that S Dakota is a real sleeper, you need to get bundled up for winter which is possible.
I also understand the government is friendly also.

I really like the short bed proportions of your bed. Nice work! I look forward to seeing more progress.

Working on some 45 tail gates making 2 into 1 more work than I wanted but the price is right. Actually I am making a pull along trailers for both of my 35-45 so I have the parts in storage and work on the stuff when I feel like it. Drilling and cutting spot welds are not my fav but it has to be done. First pic Is of me drilling and cutting the spot welds. The second is working the metal it was bent up pretty bad so I will have to shrink the stretched areas and hammer dolly the rest. I got a good start this afternoon and can see the light at the end. Only one showed up will need to retake a pic of the metal work tomorrow.
A737DC7B-1A05-4E13-8670-99293F39F066.jpeg

Kief
It is the center section to the bed tail gate, when it is all back together it will be a great looking tail gate
Stay tuned.

I knew that, I just had to give ya a hard time. I am a little jealous. I have been busy at work and pecking away at projects in the evenings or weekends..
It is cool to be able to get replacement parts but it is almost more rewarding to undo years of abuse and reuse old parts
I have not restored a land cruiser yet but hope to some day.

I knew that, I just had to give ya a hard time. I am a little jealous. I have been busy at work and pecking away at projects in the evenings or weekends..
It is cool to be able to get replacement parts but it is almost more rewarding to undo years of abuse and reuse old parts
I have not restored a land cruiser yet but hope to some day.
Ya I realized that, I had these parts and wanted to salvage them and keep my skill level up. Pretty much done this morning might need a little more tweaking as I put it together, will need more parts from Kevin up in Canada. His now producing parts again through the company he works for and much appreciated. So I will be doing that, pretty hard to pass up new former metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom