Shower system? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm beginning to think about how to install a hot water shower system in my 200 and am wondering if anyone has looked at this sort of thing already and has any opinions on such a project.

I do not want to install a heavy water tank on the roof or deal with propane. Nor do I like the idea of showering by an open engine hood.

My vision is to install a heat exchanger and pump system in the engine bay and run plumbing lines to the rear of the vehicle. There, I could have a detachable shower handle and hose, as well a second hose that gets screwed into a water tank--maybe one sitting nearby in a hitch-mounted basket.

One question: how long do you plan to be on the road for one time?

If the answer is anything less than ~3 months, I'm of the opinion that a heat exchanger, associated plumbing, etc. is hugely unnecessary.

In previous setups I used a ~90L water tank. The 12v pump had two water inputs, controlled via valves. First input was the water tank itself, second was whatever body of water I would stick a hose in.

For hot showers I would grab a standard, 20L jerry can, fill it half-way with cold water, and then heat up a few pots of water to boiling temp and dump it into the same container. The second water input hose would then go into the water jerry can. Not an exposexual solution, not overland as-f`ck, but it worked damn well and was super simple. Best of all, no modifications to the vehicle, and no expenses. Another upside is that we were able to have hot showers in the morning, when the engine was cold and a heat exchanger wouldn't be of much use (without running the truck for a while).

I agree with eatSleepWoof. I had the Helton heat exchanger from cruiseroutfitters.com on my 2006 4Runner along with a Sureflo pump and associated plumbing. It was pretty cool and worked well. I used a diverter valve to allow the water to recirculate both to conserve water and to allow additional passes for heating in case the source water was very cold. But in the end it was mostly a novelty. It was somewhat expensive, and not as portable as some other options (so tied you to the vehicle for showering). That said, if you are set on such a system, I do recommend the Helton, and cruiseroutfitters is great to deal with. Probably a pretty easy install on the passenger firewall, especially if you are swapping out the heater tees anyway...

Thanks, guys. I keep forgetting to mention in my posts that this vehicle is mostly for professional use. So things needs to work quickly and without fuss. Appearances are also important. So I think I'd lean more in the direction of something like the Helton. But I wonder if it's possible to get more precise temperature control from the user end and to avoid opening the hood. I'd like everything to be controlled from the back, with minimal fuss and the right temperature range. I'm fine letting the vehicle warm up a little if needed.

Will the system only be utilized for cleaning/showers? Not drinking? There may be some cleaner options if you don't have to keep the water potable...

Just showers. Or I suppose, possibly cleaning some gear. Definitely not for drinking. I'm a bottled water kind of guy.

It'd definitely take some space, but I'd suggest looking into a holding/mixing tank plus something like this (Amazon product ASIN B0747M4CSS). I have no experience with that device but a 12v electric boiler would be something that you could set to heat while driving meaning it'd be 100% ready to go when you get to camp. I believe there's a control system in place to have the entire system reach a specified temperature.

I've tried the engine heating/cooling system options before and personally did not enjoy having to run the vehicle at the camp site just to get some hot water. I also prefer to leave the engine compartment as stock as possible.

Thanks, guys. I keep forgetting to mention in my posts that this vehicle is mostly for professional use. So things needs to work quickly and without fuss. Appearances are also important. So I think I'd lean more in the direction of something like the Helton. But I wonder if it's possible to get more precise temperature control from the user end and to avoid opening the hood. I'd like everything to be controlled from the back, with minimal fuss and the right temperature range. I'm fine letting the vehicle warm up a little if needed.
You can definitely set it up such that you do not need to open the hood. On my 4Runner I had hose quick connects on the bumper, so I just plugged in my hoses and flipped on the pump. No reason these can't be run to the rear. If you have room for an onboard tank, you could also set it up with a thermostat on the pump to circulate the water through the heat exchanger and back to the tank while you drive, so the tank is up to temp when you stop.

40 gallon aux tank plumbed for water instead of fuel, helton heat exchanger, and I'd personally look at how to get the water outlet up to the roof rack so showering just involves attaching a sprayer. All of this is cool but very expensive.

Ideally for overlanding the 40 gallon would be cold and you'd have a separate smaller insulated tank near the engine (maybe in the PS wheel behind the wheel? it'd need to be custom molded). That way you could heat water and it'll stay fairly warm so you can shower hours later after the engine is cool. FWIW this is similar to how mu travel trailer works - 45 gallon fresh water tank (potable) and a 6 gallon hot water heater. The latter is separate and is propane-fired or 120V electric, but the water in it will stay hot (100F+) for 12+ hours if the ambient temps are reasonable (70F).

on my 100, I installed a Helton under the hood and plumbed the cold intake and hot outlet to quick-attach chucks on the bumper. I made a pump box which I can drop on the ground and I can take water from Jerry cans, water tanks and streams If close by. I like it and for all of the times we’ve used it - it has been handy. (Not to mention required by the 3 ladies in my household). It’s not a measure of how long we’re on the road - it’s a function of comfort for those that travel.

for privacy I have the quick-pitch en-suite mounted for a shower/changing room. We use that more than anything for wardrobe changes (mountain bike, beach, etc) - it’s a no brainer.

the missing link for me has been larger on-board tank storage and I’ve many times contempled what @linuxgod mentioned and do an under-body tank. i’ve longed for the LRA split-tank (water/fuel) but given the complexities of getting one and integration, would almost prefer just to use an LRA fuel tank for water... but dang it’s an expensive water tank. I wish somone would just do an armored poly tank roughly half as much - it would already been done If I could get it. I rarely get out so far that I need excess fuel Storage at more than 10 gals, which I can do in jerries

That said, doing it all again - I might just do the Joolca hot water kit for camp. It doesnt solve the water carrying, but it’s much simpler to put together - though it’s another fuel source to manage (Propane). I already carry propane, so it’s not an issue for me.

so bottom line - i love the Helton heat exchanger, but without fully integrated on-board water/pump - it’s a bit lacking. if I could solve that it would be 100%

This works with no special tank other than a 5 gallon jerry. Heats quickly enough to heat in real time, but smarter/safer to preheat 5 gallons to preferred temp, then use.

I concocted this little shelf system from using my Slee rear bumper, power, propane, Kariba heat exchanger/-burner stove. It keeps the rising heat away from my hatch and without worry that it might be knocked over, or tubes snagged, etc.

1ADD60C1-0512-4709-814E-4A7ABF0268B4.jpeg

Stainless steel cutting board from Amazon...hinged for full access and can removal.
28AE33D3-A54B-4E34-84E5-C0FFC8FA4DD4.jpeg

Black items on SS board are fun magnets which secure the heater in use. Very firmly held in place.
F7B85532-ED24-4993-8036-BFD5DAE6FAC8.jpeg

Hinged too, only needed for can removal.
1BF31B4C-D2AF-45C0-964B-E4F1AA29EE05.jpeg

Close up of gun magnets holding Kariba secure:
D800D560-1AA4-4BC2-A326-2CBA6FAF8775.jpeg

Last edited:
Also super handy & easy...more useful than a shower.... I installed a faucet on the inside jerry can for instant, gravity-fed tap water. Super handy even in town. We use it to rinse salt water off our feet and our dog after ocean time:
D499A44F-F6A4-4510-A364-0B6DE2C7E817.jpeg
23AB9DCD-9D8D-46DD-AC8D-BA000F924101.jpeg
E4655C0F-EB96-432A-A05D-25A67D22DC37.jpeg
E00F0327-C90F-447A-A7C9-C443DA9E10B3.jpeg
1AE35E64-CA61-4777-82C5-3FEC3F6DFD36.jpeg

Last edited:
All really interesting ideas. Some really good food for thoughts in these responses.

It's 2AM here, the hour when I get my craziest ideas, but I wonder if a rear bumper could double as a hidden water tank. Think about it: in a minor collision, you just dent the tank a little. In a more severe collision, the tank serves as a crumple zone and you just lose some water. Meanwhile, you can keep your water weight pretty low to the ground. And you could have your spouts right there, on top of the bumper.

All really interesting ideas. Some really good food for thoughts in these responses.

It's 2AM here, the hour when I get my craziest ideas, but I wonder if a rear bumper could double as a hidden water tank. Think about it: in a minor collision, you just dent the tank a little. In a more severe collision, the tank serves as a crumple zone and you just lose some water. Meanwhile, you can keep your water weight pretty low to the ground. And you could have your spouts right there, on top of the bumper.

Well.....
My water cans aren’t “inside” my bumper....but they are reasonably close....and...unlike my bumper—I can hold each jerry can under a faucet or in a stream to fill...or pull it off for a handy faucet anywhere in camp. Try that with a bumper. ;) Also... If you’re depending on gravity for running water (which is actually super simple and effective for washing, etc), you’ll be stooping reeeeeeally low to wash up below your bumper...haha :)

I do understand 2:00am ideas though.

I have a Kariba and I think it works well for me and my family.

One tiny device is my cook top and hot water shower. It runs off a few different fuel sources. I’m not a fan of taking showers right next to my truck/where I eat/where I sleep. That’s basic hygiene rules in the Army, so I’m just indoctrinated at this point. Which is why I like that’s it’s a small unit to move around. Just need it, a water can, and a 12v female socket to power the pump. I use a car jump starter battery pack. My entire cooking and shower system fits in a wolf pack box, with generous room so it’s not like you have to pack it just right to get it in there

Some people here have a lot of gear to do single item services. I thinks it’s always a good idea to try and make thinks by multifunctional (some things can’t do it all, and that’s okay).

Less stuff to carry, less stuff to move around when out and about. More happiness, because you focus more on the adventure, less on equipment.

I don’t think that would work in real life. When I used to set up charges to blow doors in combat, using a bag of water with some det cord was great to knock metal doors off hinges.

Water doesn’t compress, If you have water in a bumper, that’s fine, just make sure it has a place to go when hit. If a tank is up against your frame, and another car’s bumper is up against your bumper and tank... well, that water just needs to have a really weak bottom so it can shoot downward.

The most important thing about water, you need to be able to inspect the container. Water can make tanks nasty, quickly. A can that you can look right in are great for cleanliness, and versatility. Water is heavy, and tanks brief well. You just need to treat tanks like RV’ers do if you go that route.

I’ve seen people get so sick from their own water containers because they don’t realize how easy it is to contaminate it.

Last edited:
I also have the helton heat exchanger installed

Dusche.jpg

I did found severall companys who build such stuff

Bushranger, Twine, Piran - have a look. Not shure which ones are still on the market today...

Helton seams to update their Website since some months - no pictures to see at sample...

To keep the watertank clean, I did use 2 ways: filter the water during filling with 3 stages (UV, active coal) - and silver vlies inside:

Silver ions in the water can be discussed differently - but it works well.

Surfy

Last edited:
If an LRA tank is expensive and heavy for water, why not look for something plastic? RV tanks are plastic and will last for decades so long as you don't leave water sitting in them to freeze. Just remember to drain them in the fall if you live in a cold climate and sanitize them at least once a year. You'd have to figure out a good mounting solution (and maybe some light armoring depending on where you play), but they can be had for under $100.

I'm sure someone could custom fab a tank that fit perfectly under the vehicle, but I expect it would be quite a bit more than one of these.

Side note: For someone who wants both fuel and extra water, instead of a hybrid gas+water tank, why not look at something like the 16 (or maybe 24) gallon LRA and then mount one of these below it for water. Not only does it ensure your water is completely separate from the fuel, but if you mount it under the fuel tank you give the fuel tank a bit of extra protection from rocks/brush. (Granted it's at the risk of damaging the water tank, but in most cases I'd rather spill water than gas)

Last edited:
I use a camplux instant hop water heater and a 7 gallon tank (you can use any tank) with a Surflo 3.5gpm 12v pump. The water heater and associated tubing fits in a wolf box and can go on top or inside. you will need a water supply, the inline pump, and an outlet to plug into. I extend the shower head to about 12' with an additional shower hose extension and use a selectable garden sprayer that you have to hold on for the shower head. Works great, saves water.
Couple this with a Nemo Heliopolis shower tent and you have just 2 items to pack (water tank is dual purpose for camp needs and shower).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom