PRE-COLLISION SYSTEM MALFUNCTION AND FORWARD CAMERA SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took my 2020 LCHE to a dealer here in Austin to diagnose an error code that sporadically came on after heavy rains or when the truck was washed/detailed. But now the warning stays on after recent rains and cold weather this week. The diagnosis from the dealer states the part needs to be replaced and recalibrated. Unfortunately the parts system is stating "BACKORDERED, None available in the country. NO ETA."

Anyone else run across this issue? If so, how did you remedy it?

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

Fuses good? No other CEL/codes? Recent windshield replacement or water ingress you know of? Any new sort of windshield coating that was put on the exterior?

I’d check whether there’s any water in the connectors for the front parking and radar sensors.

Fuses good? No other CEL/codes? Recent windshield replacement or water ingress you know of? Any new sort of windshield coating that was put on the exterior?
Fuses are good, no other codes that I see (not sure what else, if anything, came up on the scanner at the dealer), windshield is good and sealed, and only coating was a recent Rain-X applicaiton before all of the rain this week. This seems to only happen when there is heavy rain or when it gets washed/detailed. I'm having the dealer check for water in the connectors as well. Seems odd that a complete replacement of the ~$1000 part plus labor is the ONLY fix...

That's a big bill for a weird repair IMO.

Because I can't sit still and want to try to fix everything on my own....you may want to consider stripping any coating that overlays the windshield camera. Use a 50/50 mixture of water/rubbing alcohol or straight rubbing alcohol and it should strip whatever you have applied off. A good scrub with a microfiber and it should be down to the OEM glass. It's worth a shot and seemingly is the only variable I can see aside from the parts failing (which is more likely unfortunately).

Good idea, thank you. Requested as suggested and am awaiting response from dealer.
Also, which part are they saying is back ordered specifically?

And, I’d have a look in the front door sill area under the trim for water.

Part number 8646C-60033

That's the forward looking camera.. The connectors are inside the car and high up so I'd be surprised if they actually have water in them, and we don't often hear about those cameras failing.

I'd still wonder about water in the above mentioned connectors.. that's too coincidental. Also definitely have them pull the door sill trim and check for water. Your vehicle is much newer than the ones that seem to have this problem, but depending on storage conditions I could imagine it happening.

IIRC, cruise is only tied to the radar behind the Toyota emblem. The camera is for lane departure I think.

My best guess is that the pre collision uses a combo of camera and radar to determine likelihood of collision. But I could be wrong.

.... ~$1000 part plus labor is the ONLY fix...

"....came on after heavy rains or when the truck was washed/detailed...."

Id bet that replacing the component will NOT fix the issue. Or it may, but not directly, and it could probably be "fixed" without replacing any components.

I think you have water in a connection somewhere.

Those systems are tied together so it could be water in one connector of one component and its shutting them all down.

Heavy rains caused my fog lights to stay on constantly after a torrential downpour in my 2008 one day. My Brother in laws been having issues with his PCS in his 2013 and it is for a fact due to a water leak. My theory on his deal is that its because he parks under a bunch of trees and the channels in the roof and cowl get clogged with debris and then the water doesn't drain properly. This is all in addition to the notorious sunroof drains getting clogged and causing water to drain inside on all LCs back to the 80 series.

It is very common for heavy rains to cause electrical problems in the 200 so I think you have to exhaust that probability first.

I wouldn't waste another minute even talking to a dealer, they are not going to spend any time properly diagnosing the issue, they are just going to say this and that needs to be replaced and charge you $$$$$

I would start by disconnecting your battery, then taking interior panels off, starting with lower driver side kick panel, have a hair dryer handy, and start disconnecting plugs and blowing them out and plugging them back in. Ive been down this road many times with dozens of LCs of all ages.

The reason that I ask is because when my no "PCS" warning came up my emblem and the radar behind it was covered in slushy snow. I was thinking that maybe your emblem was covered somehow? Obviously you have smarter minds than mine on the problem and would have checked this. I don't have a windshield camera to operate the cruise.

I’ve gotten those codes but only cuz I was working on the car and driving around with some sensors.

First check behind the grille. The connectors to the emblem radar detector and front camera. With hose unplugged you get that exact combo of error messages. If you can unclip a few body panels and turn a socket wrench you can replace these items yourself.

The connectors near the rear view mirrors on the windshield are more for the auto high beam sensors.

The reason that I ask is because when my no "PCS" warning came up my emblem and the radar behind it was covered in slushy snow. I was thinking that maybe your emblem was covered somehow? Obviously you have smarter minds than mine on the problem and would have checked this. I don't have a windshield camera to operate the cruise.
I would normally agree but we haven't had any of that weather here in central texas in a while.

UPDATE: Yesterday drove to San Antonio for the day. The truck sat outside in the sun (facing the sun) for at least five hours. When I started it to leave back to Austin, NO CODES were thrown and the system was behaving normally...even had cruise control. Made it halfway back to Austin, stopped for fuel, turned off the truck, and then the codes came back on. I'm suspecting that the heat dried out the lines/connections beneath the hood where the front camera and emblem-mounted radar sit. But now the codes are back and I'm going to a second dealership here in Austin to find an expert and remedy.
Would love any of your expertise here in this post/thread if you have other recommendations from experience.

Take off trim piece under the hood
Find connectors
Unplug
Check for water damage or corrosion
Clean if found
Reconnect
Can add dielectric grease or some electrical tape if you find obvious water intrusion

Have you tried any of these things?
You are asking for suggestions and all symptoms point to water in the connections….

The dealer is charging you way too much and instead of just doing a simple check they are telling you to replace a part.

Not sure what other suggestions you are looking for.

Take off trim piece under the hood
Find connectors
Unplug
Check for water damage or corrosion
Clean if found
Reconnect
Can add dielectric grease or some electrical tape if you find obvious water intrusion

Have you tried any of these things?
You are asking for suggestions and all symptoms point to water in the connections….

The dealer is charging you way too much and instead of just doing a simple check they are telling you to replace a part.

Not sure what other suggestions you are looking for.
Yes, thank you for the suggestions. I did remove the trim piece above the radiator. Was able to disconnect the connection to the back of the emblem, sprayed both ends with compressed, dry air and reconnected. I was unable to get the connection removed to the forward camera as it feels like it needs a tool beyond just squeezing the little piece that clicks it together. At this point I feel like the issue is in the emblem/camera area, NOT the windshield sensor(s) behind the rear view mirror.

Again, appreciate the suggestions as I look for a remedy that clears the issue and clears the dash codes without having to get a hasty diagnosis from the dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom