Shower system? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was just using the 3 gallon per minute as an example of calculating amount of water needed. Just food for thought.

Last edited:
FWIW we can manage a family of 5 for 4-5 days on the 45 gallon tank in our trailer. That's drinking water, dishes, hand washing, 2 showers per person, and toilet use. We pulled off 6 days in Ft. Collins, though I added about 15 gallons of fresh water during the trip (refilled via the 5 gallon jerry can 3 times). In our case we tend to run out of grey water space first, but that's really more of a parked trailer issue that you're not dealing with in an overlanding rig. We're very cognizant of the amount of water available though.

I do think this info helps to put things in perspective for tank sizing. Similarly, my 8200lb travel trailer meant to host 4, with 2 sinks, flushing toilet, 2 showers (inside and outside), has a 39 gallon tank.

It all depends on an individuals use, but that makes me think ~10 gallons is probably on the high end of what I'd want to support on a vehicle.

As I was going down rabbit holes of the internet looking at lightweight drawer systems, I stumbled across Off-road Systems which was cool on its own for offering diy metal drawer systems, but I found they also make a metal water tank that is meant to fit in the crevice between the 2nd row and a drawer system- overkill for me, but might spark some ideas for others.

I'm actually starting to wonder if all this hassle is worth it for the tank. Maybe I'll just get a hitch-mounted carrier for a few jerry cans and be done with it.
That's exactly how I am handling it - everyone gets a single 5g Gerry for their shower - so you know how long you have left ;)

Last edited:
Well, guys, the internals of my shower system are currently being installed at Mount Washington Valley Kustoms in Conway, NH. It's turning into a 3-day job, because we're fabricating custom brackets for all the pieces and running some really robust in/out lines and strategically mounted quick releases for the shower hose and water tank input. I just got back from a visit to the shop, and things are looking amazing--as if the car shipped from the factory with a shower! (This shop is awesome, by the way. Not a Land Cruiser place, but they just wrap their skills around any job.)

I'll share the setup on my build thread next week. But basically, I'm using a heat exchanger, pump, pump filter, thermostatic mixing valve, and PEX tubing, which is rated to about 200 degrees. In a few places where we need more bend and don't have heat worries, we're using LLDPE tubing. Most of the connectors are John Guest push-fit, but there are also some other fitting types in play for the pump and quick disconnects. The quick disconnects are panel-mounts that will poke out of the trim on the back platform. Plug in the tank and shower hose, press a button on the Switch Pros, and go!

For the tank, there's something really cool in the concepting phase, though that won't be ready for a while. Stay tuned for pics on the build thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom