Show off your tools! (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ohhh Baby !!

70223986871__137C34C2-9F69-4736-AF80-8956C95D9E55.jpeg

I got a new tool! A 1945 18-30 Blanchard grinder. We've had the need for a very long time. Tried several ways to do a Blanchard grinder's job without a Blanchard grinder. None worked all that well. One of my guys told me about this grinder going up for sale by his previous employer. After inspecting it without power I took a chance on it based on my employee's claim it was in very nice shape. He wasn't kidding!

Most Blanchards are in rough shape. This one is like new. It was almost never used in a climate controlled R&D shop for it's entire life. I spent some time cleaning it and getting all the lubrication systems flushed out and working properly.

20230501_113913.jpg

A Blanchard works different from other types of grinders. Blanchards are good at roughing material off, but they can also make very fine finishes. They have a lot of HP and put considerable downforce into the grinding wheel. They're also semi-automatic so even in a modern shop filled with CNC's they make sense for the right parts. You can load the table with parts, set the feed depth, pull the clutch and walk away.

Here's a very rough mild steel bar about 4" wide x 20" long. This Blanchard roughed 50 thou off and finished two of these, both sides in about 2 minutes total time.
20230501_114309.jpg

Last edited:
I was 18(1992), fresh out of school, had just recently landed my first real welding job, the then girlfriend, still wife and i went to sears....irrc it was the first time i was in the tool section with a purpose, it was the beginning of life long love affair....this was the first tool i purchased.....i needed something to snip the mig wire....it was in my gangbox in the service truck up until i moved in the office a few years ago.....its now safely in the home tool box.

20230501_212656.jpg

Last edited:
i got a few passed down craftsman tools from my grandpa "they don't make them like they used to"

Milwaukee cutoff saw adapted to hold a finger sander off a air tool
jk859txngp561.jpg
IMG_0301.JPG

Pretty satisfied with piecing this set of 1”+ SK wrenches together. Picked up the 1”, 1-1/16”, and 1-1/8” years ago at a yard sale. Assembled the rest through eBay last year. The only one I can’t find is 1-3/16”, and even question the existence of what potentially would be the C-38 of the series. That size is available in the “SuperKrome” line, but not in the SK classic line. Unless someone out there can please prove me wrong.

64CCB049-9D99-4ECB-8A3A-0A60358F5BA2.jpeg

30MM and 1-3/16" are nearly the same size. Like 16mm and 5/8". 30MM is a very popular size for larger metric fasteners. I use 30mm frequently, but have never seen a 1-3/16" fastener.

I think it’s a size used in JIC and/or FFOR applications (couldn’t quote you the actual size ATM).
SK *should* have still made with the size since the 1-1/16” is C-34, 1-1/8” is C-36, and 1-1/4” is C-40. C-38 is missing from the sequence and that size could only be 1-3/16”.

About 22 years ago, bought this original pry bar set, before Harbor Freight existed, from a tool store on Harwin in Houston. Harwin was a street where you could buy fake Oakleys, designer handbags and cheap tools. The long pry bar of the set was lost years ago. The other two have survived tons of abuse and reshapings while protecting me from misguided blows. Happy to have stumbled upon these at Harbor Freight yesterday while buying replacements of other worn out tools.

Also, recently bought the new gel lock tite and prefer its stickiness over the traditional liquid.

IMG_5036.jpeg

I do remember many years ago going to the local fairgrounds for those tool shows with most sold off the back of trucks...

About 22 years ago, bought this original pry bar set, before Harbor Freight existed...
Just looked it up, Harbor Freight started in 1977. I remember ordering a few things from their catalog back in the 90's, which took weeks to arrive. I didn't get to actually walk into a store until some time around 2005. Now I have 3 stores near me.

Had one of these over ten years ago, absolutely loved it for chassis work. It works well on the fab bench too.

View attachment 3278717
View attachment 3278719

Bought a finger nail sander as we call it about five years ago. Really like these for fab so recently bought this one too.

View attachment 3278718

Cheers
I was underneath a precast form for a clamshell 5k gallon tank, had someone pull the plug on my mag drill power cord, it dropped on me, wrapped my sweatshirt up in the annular, and crazy power in a compact package.

I was underneath a precast form for a clamshell 5k gallon tank, had someone pull the plug on my mag drill power cord, it dropped on me, wrapped my sweatshirt up in the annular, and crazy power in a compact package.
I might use a mag drill a couple times a year. Definitely useful tools when you need them. It seems mine is loaned out to friends about 30% of the time.

I might use a mag drill a couple times a year. Definitely useful tools when you need them. It seems mine is loaned out to friends about 30% of the time.
Its really must have for any sort of retrofit work. At the time I did very little full fab and almost exclusively repair/retrofit. I probably went through a set of 5/8", 3/4", and 1" annular cutters a month. Don't miss being in the sun running an Oxy torch under a tank mold.

I do remember many years ago going to the local fairgrounds for those tool shows with most sold off the back of trucks...
Then we had those guys that would ride around in a pick up full of tools and would bounce from job to job business to business...

Leatherman fixture bars 59RC.jpg

I've been using my Blanchard frequently. Easy machine to use for it's intended purpose- Ripping metal off and leaving a pretty finish. It's a different kind of challenge when you have to hold tight tolerances over a longer part. Last week I got a rush job in to test just how accurate I could get with the old girl.

These are tools I did last week for a bigger household name manufacturer. Held +/- .0001" parallelism over nearly 17" on all sides. Parts are 59RC toolsteel. Note the reflections in the parts even with my crummy picture.

I'm proud of these parts!

Nice! 13" column is big enough to push big boy drills and spades! Radial drills are super for the right jobs.

Did you get some tooling with it?

Nice! 13" column is big enough to push big boy drills and spades! Radial drills are super for the right jobs.

Did you get some tooling with it?
Few different mt5 chucks with smaller drills >1" and some larger mt5 drills with the biggest being about 2.5". When you need one there handy. For hobby use its probably too much of a machine but I had to have it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom