Show off your tools! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If this is your first "big boy" machine you bought a nice one! Carlton and C-B are the top dogs of radials. 13" column is solidly in the serious radial drill category. It looks like it's even got a tilting box table! That's a slick accessory.

Be safe! Always make sure everything is locked down before you engage the feed. If you ever plan to drill offset from the base bolt it down real good.

With this bigger machines, when you go to run a >1" spade or twist drill you don't need to step the hole sizes out. Just poke a starter hole the thickness of the drill's web and let the big drill eat! Without flood coolant, I like to use 30-50 RPM for most big hole poking. Any faster and the heat gets away from you quick. If you add flood coolant you can run faster.

Picked this up a few weeks ago 13"x 4 ft Cincinnati radial drill, I need to go through and service all the gearboxes and get it cleaned up.

View attachment 3396201
You didn't happen to buy that out of a shop in Belgrade did you? Looks just like a Cincinnati at a machine shop I worked at about 10 years ago.

If this is your first "big boy" machine you bought a nice one! Carlton and C-B are the top dogs of radials. 13" column is solidly in the serious radial drill category. It looks like it's even got a tilting box table! That's a slick accessory.

Be safe! Always make sure everything is locked down before you engage the feed. If you ever plan to drill offset from the base bolt it down real good.

With this bigger machines, when you go to run a >1" spade or twist drill you don't need to step the hole sizes out. Just poke a starter hole the thickness of the drill's web and let the big drill eat! Without flood coolant, I like to use 30-50 RPM for most big hole poking. Any faster and the heat gets away from you quick. If you add flood coolant you can run faster.
I've operated a few smaller versions before but nothing compared to this machine. I didn't realize a tilt box table was an extra cost accessory till I looked it up in the manual. Figured they would come standard with that.

You didn't happen to buy that out of a shop in Belgrade did you? Looks just like a Cincinnati at a machine shop I worked at about 10 years ago.

No, I bought this in Salt Lake City and trucked it back up here to Laurel. It was a bit of a journey but worth it because of how cheap it was.

I've operated a few smaller versions before but nothing compared to this machine. I didn't realize a tilt box table was an extra cost accessory till I looked it up in the manual. Figured they would come standard with that.

No, I bought this in Salt Lake City and trucked it back up here to Laurel. It was a bit of a journey but worth it because of how cheap it was.
Nice, those radial drills will do some incredible things!

didn't Keith Rucker do a restoration of a big radial drill like that some time back with YT vids about it?

didn't Keith Rucker do a restoration of a big radial drill like that some time back with YT vids about it?
I've seen at least two in his series, one Carlton and a smaller CB drill. He does a fantastic job on his restorations.

Got this yesterday to piece into my pressure pot setup

F82E73A9-A5B0-4856-A699-30D239C61508.jpeg

Had one of these over ten years ago, absolutely loved it for chassis work. It works well on the fab bench too.

View attachment 3278717
View attachment 3278719

Bought a finger nail sander as we call it about five years ago. Really like these for fab so recently bought this one too.

View attachment 3278718

Cheers
Agreed, mag drills are awesome. Just make sure no one un plugs it. I was in a scissor lift drilling into a roof beam when some one decided they wanted to use my power point . It was lucky i caught it haha.

Cheers

Ive never really had any kind of good shop air setup before and since like all of my tools are cordless i never really needed it. I am wanting to start painting some and a buddy is giving me a blast cabinet so i picked up this "broken" 60 gal compressor off of FB. The motor on it was smoked, so i replaced the motor, belt, pressure switch, threw a nice gauge and new safety valve on it and it runs great now.

0348edaf-b2aa-41e1-8f20-208ecc11b71a.jpg

I changed out all of my air hoses to the flexzilla 3/8 with the high flow fittings. Idk if these actually do anything but at least they are all the same now.

74b6210b-a27d-4503-858a-3efdd7d10b8e.jpg

Lastly for paint and the blast cabinet I really wanted to get some good dry air so I ran a 1/2 inch flexzilla whip hose out of the compressor into 1/2 inch black pipe with 3 water catches with ball valves to cool the air and condense the water before it hits my water separator. The water separator filters down to 5 microns

246ddbef-01f3-44e1-89f5-fb1a0dc8fc70.jpg

After the water separatior there is a quick detatch with a mini regulator before a ball valve. After the ball valve there is a Motorguard coalescing filter that filters down to 0.01 microns. The idea is that I can have relatively clean and dry air for any of my tools by pulling off of the quick attach fitting before the Motorguard when the ball valve is closed, but if i need to paint or sand blast i can open the ball valve and use the quick attach after the regulator behind the Motorguard. Ive only tested it so far but it all works.

The crazy thing is the black pipe on the wall actually works too, there are 3 one foot sections that extend down to collect water and ball valves on the end of them and after one fill usually the first one has at least some water in it.

The air coming out of the very end after the motorguard is super super dry and actually cooled down quite a bit, even after starting and filling the compressor from empty

2eb7e600-2642-4972-bee8-86ca5f337c11.jpg

Last edited:
My Birmingham 26x80” lathe.. poor thing has been outside with a tarp over it since August when we demoed the roof on the side shop. Another month and it should be back under cover and I can finally level it and maybe actually use it for the first time after owning it for 3 years. :lol:

0AFF3537-DF85-4836-BE1B-5DE124198556.jpeg

I haven't shared one of my favorite tools yet because I wasn't sure if I was getting the proper results using it.

This is the Quick Trick alignment setup. I bought this after I lifted the wife's GX470 and was quoted over $200 to have it aligned. I have since used it many times on my vehicles, and my kid's 4runners.

I recently changed out the shocks and struts on a 5th gen 4runner. I could tell just by looking at it that the camber and toe were way off so I used my alignment tool to try to get it close so the guy who owned the truck could drive it to a shop to have it aligned correctly. Since it wasn't my truck I wanted him to have it checked by a pro just because.

Here is the tool set up on my daughter's 4runner:
PXL_20220818_163832126.MP.jpg

The top numbers are mine after my alignment. The pro shop didn't do much adjusting. If I spent a little more time on it I'm sure could get the toe closer.
1000001460.jpg

I am very happy with this tool and recommend it to anyone that works on suspension or steering. I now trust it and myself a lot more. The whole setup cost right at $800, but has been well worth the money to me.

My Birmingham 26x80” lathe.. poor thing has been outside with a tarp over it since August when we demoed the roof on the side shop. Another month and it should be back under cover and I can finally level it and maybe actually use it for the first time after owning it for 3 years. :lol:

View attachment 3464630

Those are some good casters!

Finally used the air setup today and sand blasted some window frames for the cargo windows of my 60. Air works great. Not a hint of moisture whatsoever in the media and the compressor ran the blast cabinet very well. Definitely running out of room in here but It all fits!

7cdc5b51-9383-4c51-9e17-f278d0928b10.jpg
f1371220-39b5-4412-8a42-822fd1254e6b.jpg

My old shop stereo needed to be retired, had it since 2008. So I decided to upgrade to this. Holy crap! Sounds really really good for what it is! 😎🤙

8B21A2D8-30CC-41B4-9CDA-D95097C96F47.jpeg

Testing it right now. 👨🏻‍🦱

61ECCC90-43C8-4DA8-87A1-F513AE46B98B.png

Cheers

Best tool I have found for breaking tres loose. Cheap Harbor Freight but only busted one in over two years.

7830C962-CCF8-4146-A358-0CB6B36E5493.jpeg

A past employee decided to use my $500 Wilton vise as a press and stripped it out, needs a full rebuild. So in the meantime I upgraded to real proper vise.

E2FC3AB3-FEBE-4BA1-AA27-D11B4F6AF354.jpeg

Cheers

Best tool I have found for breaking tres loose. Cheap Harbor Freight but only busted one in over two years.

View attachment 3471694

A past employee decided to use my $500 Wilton vise as a press and stripped it out, needs a full rebuild. So in the meantime I upgraded to real proper vise.

View attachment 3471693

Cheers

I need a vise and i want this mechanics vise so bad but cant get around to dropping the coin on one.

They also work great for pressing out old wheel studs. Get it nice and tight and then whack it with a hammer.

IMG_2569.jpeg

Finally used the air setup today and sand blasted some window frames for the cargo windows of my 60. Air works great. Not a hint of moisture whatsoever in the media and the compressor ran the blast cabinet very well. Definitely running out of room in here but It all fits!

View attachment 3471662View attachment 3471663
I’m going to emulate your setup for my air system. Been fighting moisture issues for months. Nice job on yours and thanks for posting!👍🏼

I’m going to emulate your setup for my air system. Been fighting moisture issues for months. Nice job on yours and thanks for posting!👍🏼

Heck yeah man! Its crazy how much moisture comes out from the metal pipes alone. I sand blasted for about an hour, and i try not to leave air in my compressor because i dont use it very much so i use all of the valves on the pipes and the drain on the compressor to dump the air and they all had water in them.

Here is a package deal for a the regulator, water separator, and coalescing filter. I bought them all separately. The little mini regulator i just got from HF

Heres some better pics of the filters and stuff
6b94cf9c-98af-4937-a87f-3c38adb5307e.jpg
c88e7979-24ed-4bed-ab0c-039af13d063b.jpg

This was an early rendition before i finished out the end on the left, but you can see the black pipe routing here

96e460d3-25c5-4177-88cc-ba5163bdfcb5.jpg

Last edited:

IMG_6639.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom