Show off your tools! (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Learned about the Sonic tools from @cruiserinsanity. Quality tools IMO. This 3/8" drive set is on sale and I picked it up for $120 shipped, 1/4 the normal price. MCS Socket and Bit Socket Set 3/8", 61-PCS - Sonic Tools - https://sonictoolsusa.com/products/mcs-socket-and-bit-socket-set-3-8-61-pcs/

IMG_1536.jpg
IMG_1537.jpg

^^ Wow, that thing looks pretty sturdy...! That is not your typical lil' Bridgeport...

I like the Canton (or similar) crane in the background. One came up for sale locally, but they wanted buttload of money for it.

New to me vertical mill. Traveled here all the way from Michigan.

View attachment 3596705

Got me curious what you plan to use it for? I love old manual stuff, but it's real hard to find uses for it that don't require CNC or can be done 10 times faster with CNC. I use my big manual lathes all the time, but my 4" manual HBM with all the accessories is a 21 ton doorstop much of the time. Truth be told I kick myself for not buying the CNC version of my HBM when it popped up locally a year after I bought the one I have. It would run everyday if it was CNC.

I like the Canton (or similar) crane in the background. One came up for sale locally, but they wanted buttload of money for it.
Close! Its a far less common Franklin Crane Co Size B made in Franklin PA. I have had it for a few years, bought it from a family friend who was cleaning out stuff from his grandfathers garage over in Ohio. At the time i thought i was being ridiculous for buying a $800 antique engine crane but for what ever reason everyone seems to think there worth decent 20 year old used car prices. That being said i use it for everything and it is very handy. It was supposedly rated at 4000lb capacity new but i only put sub 600lb loads on it because is roughly 110 years old.

PXL_20230310_020357155.jpg

Got me curious what you plan to use it for? I love old manual stuff, but it's real hard to find uses for it that don't require CNC or can be done 10 times faster with CNC. I use my big manual lathes all the time, but my 4" manual HBM with all the accessories is a 21 ton doorstop much of the time. Truth be told I kick myself for not buying the CNC version of my HBM when it popped up locally a year after I bought the one I have. It would run everyday if it was CNC.
I totally understand your point. The reasoning on this for me was that i have had a lot of one off projects that I've had to outsource to the one of the few local machine shops here in town to complete because they wouldn't fit onto my smaller K&T 2D rotary head. I had been searching for a larger mill for a while to help save a bit of money from this. There normally isn't any equipment (especially milling machines in any size) that come up for sale here in Montana. Its a bit bigger than i was initially thinking but i fell for it and it really doesn't take up much more room.

As much as i would want a CNC mill, the price was right for me with purchase and shipping price being right at $5k . I have a nice CNC lathe and eventually will step up to a CNC mill when i can justify the upfront cost..

AND in the end I have a lot of joy in collecting old tools...

PXL_20230913_004444039.jpg

Close! Its a far less common Franklin Crane Co Size B made in Franklin PA.

Very cool! I've also seen the "truss" style ones and have thought about fabricating something like that for myself. I could probably make two and sell one for enough to cover my costs for both of them considering what people want for them.

Tube Crane 002.jpg

Close! Its a far less common Franklin Crane Co Size B made in Franklin PA. I have had it for a few years, bought it from a family friend who was cleaning out stuff from his grandfathers garage over in Ohio. At the time i thought i was being ridiculous for buying a $800 antique engine crane but for what ever reason everyone seems to think there worth decent 20 year old used car prices. That being said i use it for everything and it is very handy. It was supposedly rated at 4000lb capacity new but i only put sub 600lb loads on it because is roughly 110 years old.

View attachment 3607905

I totally understand your point. The reasoning on this for me was that i have had a lot of one off projects that I've had to outsource to the one of the few local machine shops here in town to complete because they wouldn't fit onto my smaller K&T 2D rotary head. I had been searching for a larger mill for a while to help save a bit of money from this. There normally isn't any equipment (especially milling machines in any size) that come up for sale here in Montana. Its a bit bigger than i was initially thinking but i fell for it and it really doesn't take up much more room.

As much as i would want a CNC mill, the price was right for me with purchase and shipping price being right at $5k . I have a nice CNC lathe and eventually will step up to a CNC mill when i can justify the upfront cost..

AND in the end I have a lot of joy in collecting old tools...

View attachment 3607930

That makes perfect sense. I was curious as that's a big girl to have if you're not a fulltime machine shop and if you're a fulltime machine shop all the guys that know how to make a mill like that sing are dead and all the big parts that you could work on with a machine like that today have CNC type features baked into their designs.

I love old machines too. The mechanical complexity hidden inside the top shelf USA iron made for the 2-3 decades after the start of WWII is unlike anything else. You can't look inside one of these machines without marveling at the minds that built them. And they aren't too bad to make parts on if you add a DRO. Powerfeeds on every axis, power clamping, feed stops, rapid returns, all kinds of neat stuff on the old heavy duty machines.

I hope you enjoy using it and the low-cost capacity it offers you is a big win.

Very cool! I've also seen the "truss" style ones and have thought about fabricating something like that for myself. I could probably make two and sell one for enough to cover my costs for both of them considering what people want for them.

View attachment 3607969

I have not used those old style hoists. They certainly have an amazing look to them.

I have a HD cart in my shop that I use all the time. Someone long ago added a 1000lb WWII bomb hoist mounted as a swiveling jib on one end. The bomb hoists have an auto brake inside. They go up when you crank up, down when you crank down with the perfect ratio for hand cranking.

A couple pics showing it in action today.
17132159579246151317375093461342.jpg
1713215999283218535279517241504.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom