Show me your FJ40 4"lift SUA with 35's (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I always wonder what guys are doing to avoid the front fenders from rubbing at all.
Spacers between the bump stops and frame? Wider fenders?

Let’s see how mine will turn out, I have 2” wider fiberglass fenders.
2504E07C-C390-44B9-A506-1E50C73151CB.jpeg

Will finally got it out of the garage after 3 1/2 years.My Dad was the second owner of this Fj40.It was born 1978 and he purchased it the same year from the orignal owner.He turned it over to me in 1990 for the price of rebuilding the engine.(score).I was in high school at the time (bad idea to have an FJ40) and thought that i was invensable.Wheeled the **** out of this thing broke stuff and then once i realized how expinsive it is to fix things that you brake i decided to park it and try to fix it up again. I drove it around for several years before i started to really dig into things.The transfer gear case would not hold oil.Once i got it out and tore it apart and found that every gear in the transfer case was missing 5 or more teeth (i cant belive that the thing would even move but it did.)Not sure how long i was driving it like that but as long as checked the oil it keept on going.Things i have done to it.Paint, all seats recovered, Hurculined the tub, reseal tranny, rebuilt t-case 4" lift with extended shackels.35 X 12.5 x14 BFG KM2.Next thing i would like to do is rebuld my factory PTO winch and install power steering.Here are a few Pic's enjoy.
View attachment 767245View attachment 767246View attachment 767247
Any chance you recall what brand lift you have and what size rims and backspace you have? I want mine to look like that! thanks

When I thought about 35’s on mine I realized it requires a lot more than just a lift. You don’t want to run the old birfields on a 35 setup IMO, need upgraded steering and brakes to stop your rig on 35’s. They are heavy tires also. A lot to think about for an extra inch of lift over 33’s. 33’s been working for a lot of rigs including mine, just sayin.

When I thought about 35’s on mine I realized it requires a lot more than just a lift. You don’t want to run the old birfields on a 35 setup IMO, need upgraded steering and brakes to stop your rig on 35’s. They are heavy tires also. A lot to think about for an extra inch of lift over 33’s. 33’s been working for a lot of rigs including mine, just sayin.
Thank you for that, I’m pretty novice to it all. Maybe new wheels and 33x12.50’s to start with before pulling the trigger on 35’s

Did you have to cut your wheel well to fit 35"
The answer is yes; look at the rear flares. The stock body sticks out way past where the flares end. Pretty much all of the Bushwacker flares have had the body trimmed.

Last edited:
I have no complaints about the HFS springs and their shackles. Heavy duty equipment. The shocks are not the best.
Gary
I agree, tough stuff. I've abused mine plenty for over 15 years, they still ride nice and have only sagged about an inch in that time. 4 inch HFS kit with 35s and P.O. cut tub.

fotor_1631554805238.jpg

I've been running old school man a fre 4 inch safari springs for about 18 years now. They've been through lots of trails. No sagging even.with a full size 35 on the swingout and rear jump seats. Trying to find the same length shocks to replace the safari shocks that came in the 4 inch kit is not easy. They were 4-5 inches longer then what I'm finding anywhere. Been running 35s for 20 years. Sb 350 th 350 trans. 4 wheel disk breaks and saginaw power steering make it very road friendly. I drive 2 hours to Rubicon and drive it home. It's a blast to drive around town and a dream on the trail.
20190909_174223.jpg
20191129_150225.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom