Show me your Battery set up! Single or Dual Bat, both RHD & LHD! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
ruggedoverland.com
Good morning my 80 Series aficionado's! I am working on a project and I was hoping to get some pictures, really as many as we can get in this thread of your battery set-ups, mounts, mods, etc. Single, Dual, RHD or LHD. All of it! This is MUCH appreciated!

Joe

Just as simple as this would be epic!
IMG_3449.jpeg

Most of my Dual Battery pics are here.

20231209_173119.jpg

20231028_160219.jpg

20231214_171323.jpg

20231214_171327.jpg

20240130_165610.jpg

Previous owner's install. I'm working my way through things I'm not satisfied with one thing at a time and the wiring is on the list (including that slightly iffy looking fusible link). I think he must have bought a kit because the actual battery cables are nicely done, it's the stuff he did himself that I'm not crazy about... like the poorly crimped loose wires going to the solenoid. The solenoid wire is hooked to the "accessory" side of the ignition, so the two batteries are isolated until they vehicle is running. I may (or may not) add a switch to give myself the options of complete isolation and backfeeding from the deep cycle in case of a completely flat main battery due to some idiot not getting his door shut and running the battery dead.

Driver's side with solenoid and breaker (left side, partially obscured by the battery hold-down bar).

PXL_20240227_004559943.MP.jpg

And passenger side with an equally obscured view of a second breaker. Additional leads are for the winch and to the rear of the vehicle for the inverter (and compressor soon). The line going to the rear has its own breaker as well, though he had it all the way back at the inverter. I moved it up to the engine bay where it protects from shorts in the wire.

I like that distribution box that @ZackR posted and I may use something like that at the rear of the vehicle so I can have a main line headed back protected by the breaker, but the ability to split out into sub-systems in the back with MIDI fuses for the high draw items and ATC fuses for things like a charge port or two.

PXL_20240227_004608705.jpg

20210325_005357.jpg

Work in progress, but I have a direct 12v+ and ground that I run to the QPM. The winch is direct wired. SwitchPro is hooked up. Breaker is for the QPM.

Northstar AGM. Single battery setup.

My 12v setup has continually evolved from
-single Die Hard AGM Group 31 dual purpose battery (2016)
-dual engine bay AGM batteries with Blue Sea ACR relay
-added Redarc BCDC charger inline with ACR for better 2nd battery charging
-added roof mounted 100 watt solar charging thru Redarc BCDC
-relocated second battery to cargo area, upgrade to LiFePo4, deleted ACR (2020)
-installed Photoman 150 alternator mod
-reverted back to SLA start battery
-upgraded lithium AH capacity from 100AH to 180AH + 2000w inverter and doubled charging to 50 amps (2024)
IMG_0972.jpeg
IMG_1272.jpeg
IMG_1395.jpeg
IMG_7111.png

IMG_6403.jpeg

Dual agm batteries, tmax battery controller/isolator, cascadia solar panel on hood, victron solar controller, garmin power switches and a blue sea fuse panel for distribtion
IMG_0610.jpeg

A 1994 HDJ 80, which starts at 24 V. Here are the battery system elements:

20220511_193325_r.jpg

LHS battery. No extras connected here. Positive terminal made of 20 x 5 mm copper bar. Dim relay substitution system shown in front.

20220511_193335r.jpg

RHS battery. Terminals made of 20 x 5 mm copper bar. Positive, front to back: winch; fused cable to auxiliary circuits (see below); OEM fuse link; void; VHF radio. Negative, front to back: winch; void; connection to 24 V start relay; VHF radio.

20220511_193225r.jpg

Auxiliary distribution and connections system. Bespoke SS bracket. Cable to auxiliary circuits from RHS battery arrives to the black box containing two Midi fuses. Current splits here. Right in the photo, to switched circuit braker, then through the bulkhead grommet to car rear distribution system. Left, to the fuse panel. Four fuses in this panel feed corresponding auxiliary relays (fog lights, etc.). Power connections for those consumer devices are made in the front-right block of connectors (lights consist of two cables, one for each side). Switched relay signal connections are in the front-left block. All components are Blue Sea and Littelfuse.

20220511_193400r.jpg

Same thing, diferent view.

Last edited:
A 1994 HDJ 80, which starts at 24 V. Here are the battery system elements:

View attachment 3568295
LHS battery. No extras connected here. Positive terminal made of 20 x 5 mm copper bar. Dim relay substitution system shown in front.

View attachment 3568297
RHS battery. Terminals made of 20 x 5 mm copper bar. Positive, front to back: winch; fused cable to auxiliary circuits (see below); OEM fuse link; void; VHF radio. Negative, front to back: winch; void; connection to 24 V start relay; VHF radio.

View attachment 3568300
Auxiliary distribution and connections system. Bespoke SS bracket. Cable to auxiliary circuits from RHS battery arrives to the black box containing two Midi fuses. Current splits here. Right in the photo, to switched circuit braker, then through the bulkhead grommet to car rear distribution system. Left, to the fuse panel. Four fuses in this panel feed corresponding auxiliary relays (fog lights, etc.). Power connections for those consumer devices are made in the front-right block of connectors (lights consist of two cables, one for each side). Switched relay signal connections are in the front-left block. All components are Blue Sea and Littelfuse.
Super nice work indeed.

Nothing exciting here, single battery setup for me

IMG_2270.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom