Short Wife= clutch problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to make the cruiser more user friendly for the wife- shes 5'1" and has trouble getting the clutch in enough to get the cruiser rolling. The other gears are better, but this is taking a toll on her hip. I've looked into "blocks", but they are made for other pedal types. This got me thinking, is the pedal adjustable(outside of heating and bending)? for reference, This is a 350/SM465 using Toyota hydraulics.

How about platform driving shoes?
About 3" should work. And she can pick out some really cute shoes. Girls like buying shoes, right?

Seriously, whatever adjustment there is probably wouldn't be enough to make a difference.

You can adjust it up some but I hate messing with a clutch that's working.
Making your own "block" that bolts to the pedal and arm might work ?

How about platform driving shoes?
About 3" should work. And she can pick out some really cute shoes. Girls like buying shoes, right?

Seriously, whatever adjustment there is probably wouldn't be enough to make a difference.
When driving the cruiser flipflops are the soe of choice.

Just buy her an 80 problem solved.
She love the 40 and I'm not interested in 80's

You can adjust it up some but I hate messing with a clutch that's working.
Making your own "block" that bolts to the pedal and arm might work ?
I've been looking at the pedal extensions, cant seem to find one that matches the cruiser pedal real well. I gotta think there's been someone with this problem.

I gotta think there's been someone with this problem
I wish I had this problem. Wifey liked my 60, but didn't tell me until after I sold it. Not a fan of my 40 (it's a rock crawler).

Hey, Why? Does she really need to drive it? Land Cruiser valuable asset..Man thing. In my case I acquired my '71 40 while I was dating my future wife. So, been married for 37 years to former girlfriend, bought Land Cruiser 38 years ago, But while she initially thought she wanted to drive it, It quickly became a way too uncomfortable vehicle for modern life. Wife no longer interested in it as it is noisy, hot in the summer and way more hassle to drive than her automatic w/ ac Mazda or the Xterra SE both with all the comforts of life. 40 has been of no interest to her for many years now....and that's ok with me.... No prob.

This was our short term solution to the problem, we bought another 40! A couple years later she realized she didn’t like driving it as much as she did in the beginning and it went to another family member, problem solved.

She did however take mine to a meeting one time when she had a dead battery in her DD... dress, heels and all. She’s as civil engineer and all the attendees were men, needless to say she was hit. 😉

C41A57E3-3480-48E3-B1DF-5126C5EEC4E7.jpeg

Hey, Why? Does she really need to drive it? Land Cruiser valuable asset..Man thing.
{edit}
Wife no longer interested in it as it is noisy, hot in the summer and way more hassle to drive than her automatic w/ ac Mazda or the Xterra SE both with all the comforts of life. 40 has been of no interest to her for many years now....and that's ok with me.... No prob.
When I met mine, she had just moved west with a soft top TJ. I convinced her that it was not suitable for Wyoming winters. I promised the cruiser would be back up and running for next summer. Life got busy for ~16yrs.... Plus she doesn’t complain when I buy an aluminum tub or air locker...
5B2E3C83-154F-4122-9927-54CD13DBBF0F.jpeg

It’s back on the road and she’s enjoying it. She can drive it, but getting into first gear requires a full sweep on the clutch pedal, and a 1 1/2” block would probably do it. I found pedal blocks for mustangs and corvettes, but the pedal shape is different. I was hoping someone had an idea of a similar shaped pedal that was popular enough to have a following.

Sounds like you need to start a wood carving project on a small piece of 2x4 then attach it to the pedal with double sided tape and zip ties. :hmm:
JP

Did you see the link GA Architect posted. Would be simple to fab something similar up.
View attachment 2021995
I did see them. For me that’s a last resort. I’m trying to keep my own sense of aesthetics with this rig. I was hoping for something a little more streamlined, Like this:
Since mine is a summer driver only(no doors or top) and lifted, the pedals are one of the first things I see when I walk up to it. I fear that the set up @GA Architect posted would be wasted fab time in the end. Its a viable solution, just not what I was hoping for...

Last edited:
My first wife was only 5-1 and no trouble driving my Land Cruiser and sometimes it was our only car with 2 kids. She did kill the clutch in the Datsun 1600 when I taught her to drive with a clutch. She could not drive the 71 Bronco with a 3 speed on the column without a hydraulic clutch.

At 6-3 I have issues with being to close to the firewall

When I met mine, she had just moved west with a soft top TJ. I convinced her that it was not suitable for Wyoming winters. I promised the cruiser would be back up and running for next summer. Life got busy for ~16yrs.... Plus she doesn’t complain when I buy an aluminum tub or air locker...
View attachment 2021798

It’s back on the road and she’s enjoying it. She can drive it, but getting into first gear requires a full sweep on the clutch pedal, and a 1 1/2” block would probably do it. I found pedal blocks for mustangs and corvettes, but the pedal shape is different. I was hoping someone had an idea of a similar shaped pedal that was popular enough to have a following.
What part of Wyoming are you from are those the Winds in the background?

IMG_1097.jpg

What part of Wyoming are you from are those the Winds in the background?

View attachment 2659175
I’m in the Tetons on the Idaho side. Wife has adjusted, but there’s room for improvement. Big part of her issue is how I set up the seat cradle in the roll cage. I may redo it but I’m hip deep in other aspects of the build right now.

I drive over Togwotee into Jackson then Teton Pass when I am working in the north west so I know the area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom