ShenValleyCruiser's 500K Mile Tiki Cruiser Build Thread and CNC Creations (1 Viewer)

D21FJ60

I'll get to it
This brings back memories of driving those same beaches in my fathers fj60 20 years ago, well done!
But where does all your gear go since you have a bar on wheels taking up the entire cargo hold?

This brings back memories of driving those same beaches in my fathers fj60 20 years ago, well done!
But where does all your gear go since you have a bar on wheels taking up the entire cargo hold?
...very carefully haha... actually I thought about this a lot so I'm going to way over-answer your question. I actually have a spreadsheet/checklist that we update each time and go over to make sure we have everything and to remember where everything is. And another tab on there for my wishlist and budget and gant chart for future maintenance. That probably makes me sound way more OCD/type than I really am but what else are you supposed to do at your real job while day-dreaming of your next trip? Plus efficiency and change-over reductions is pretty much what I do for work...

The last day on Oregon Inlet we had all of our stuff with us on our way out, you can see a bunch of our bags on a beach mat on the ground because I had to take stuff out to get to the second cooler (completely unnecessary). Several people that walked commented on the packing job lol. I have 3 68qt plano bins on the roof: 1 for tent and related items, 1 for kids mats, blankets, and camp gear, and 3rd carries our stuff and more camp gear. Pack n play belows the littlest ones carseat, some other stuff on top of that. Each boy has a backpack and gets to pick whatever toys or gear (walkie-talkies, binoculars, etc) that fit in it. Dog sits in passenger side footwell under the glove compartment. Four folding chairs on the roof rack around the plano bins. Axe and shovel above the awning. The drawer on the left carries all of our dry pantry goods, pot and pan, snacks, and some lights. the drawer on the right carries stoves and all of our cooking gear, utensils, knives, dishes, sauces and spices. Plus there's the tail gate storage that has extra paper towels, wet wipes,, garbage bags, ziplocs, 2 collapsible dog bowls, 2 collapsible sinks, plus dog food. Sides of the drawers by the wheelwells has a bunch of random stuff, spare spark plug and coil, limited tools, first aid kit, battery powered charger, etc.

I make some changes for what season we're in and print this out before we start packing. Plus I print out a little schedule/itinerary I make with what we're eating when so I know how to pack the coolers. Again that makes it sound more formal/type a/and lame then it is really is. The plano bins and all our camping gear is stored on 2x 18"x36"x72" plastic shelves against a wall in the garage kinda ready to go. The drawers are usually pretty ready to go and just need some stocking. Trying to have everything seperated so I'm not stealing from our house kitchen before trips and having to put it back after. This has made unpacking way easier too. Get all the perishables out and then just put the bins and gear back on the shelves, pull out sheets or whatever needs to be washed.
2021-04-06 10_13_50-Hatteras Beach Trip - Google Sheets.jpg

When we first started camping we were using are actual pillows and blankets and cooking equipment and packing for a simple weekend trip felt like it took to two days, was very stressful, and then between "fixing" something on the car "real quick" before we leave and packing I would be up till 2am getting ready for a 16 hour drive the next day and it was no bueno. Its not perfect yet and I still move too many things This last trip I was fully packed in an afternoon and in bed by 10ish...so much better. In the end, its all about how to reduce the not-fun (packing) and get to the fun (camping) sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom