ShenValleyCruiser's 500K Mile Tiki Cruiser Build Thread and CNC Creations (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is the closest thing I've seen, someone has this set up in their Ford Expedition.
IMG-8062.jpg

IMG-8063.jpg

Something contoured to the back of the one seat, though I would probably stop at the top of the seat before the head rest. Either put velcro headrest and pouch kit there or leave the surface flat for storage and maybe use straps or something hold stuff up there. I'll have to measure but one thought is I could make a Tiki Crate version 1/2 mini mini bar that snap into place their. The space is not very deep to the back of the seat so to have a stove/caddy pullout on the bottom would a series of 2 drawer slides (around 14 inches each), and then I could have some additional storage above that. Not sure if its feasible to do drawer slides on a bottom base plate hold the drawer from underneath that actually reach under the third row so it could be longer (maybe 28 inches), not sure if drawer slides can hold the same weight that way. Trick is the stove has to come out either far enough or low enough I can still get into the storage above it when the lid/wind blocker is up without coming out too far so that reaching into the storage is impossible. For the storage area my thought is instead of a hinge with a door to have a notch lid that pull up and then slide back into a groove an it stays open.

The stove and the silverware/utensil caddy would pull out together and then the caddy would pull out an additional distance for access, and the cutting board could pull out from the caddy either straight out or to the side (side might be more useful). My last drawer slides were 40inch slides rated for 400lb, for this I imagine I could get away with 100-200lb rated slides for the stove and 100lb for the caddy/cutting board.

Of course, it will all be Tiki Themed luxurious walnut and mahogany. I think the entire side as well as the faces will be walnut/mahogany. I thought about putting a velcro/molle panel of the side of the upper storage spot that will be exposed like in the photo above. But I think I will save that for some cool carvings into the wood and figure something else for more storage.

Here's my crummy initial brainstorm drawing.
IMG-8064.jpg

Two more things that would help this set up (and my existing set up) is a very short fridge or even a drawer fridge so there can still be enough space to store a couple of item above or around instead of being on the roof rack in a plano box. Second, a way to have propane for the stove already connected or a quick connect/disconnect. Not sure what the options are there.

The goal at the end of the day, and what you need in order to travel/off-road/long distance remote travel with an entire family, is you need to be able to stop and make meal and access necessities without having to unpack anything. We have this in my existing set up, and it even helps save money and time on trips. We can pull over in a rest stop or a state park or on our way to wherever make a meal, eat, and be on our way.

But the real reason I came back to this thread is because now that my family is having a 4th kid we will need one of the third row seats up in.
This is the way.... :) I have not actually measured it but it says it fits a 5 series BMW and I have one of those and it certainly seems narrower than the 100.

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 5.54.28 PM.png

At £1699 it might be slightly more expensive than your usual upgrades ;)
IDK, if you had a two row vehicle and the other option was buying a new car, it could make sense price wise. Honestly I wish I had a shop (or actual skills beyond making excel sheets and PowerPoints) because I could totally see making a version of this here in the US and it doing well. Car seats are so unnecessarily huge these days. I've seen this travel 5 point harness option that is approved in most states and I almost want to switch to it just to get these bulky ridiculous seats out. Besides, we're Land Cruiser owners, does anything we do make financial sense?

But that is probably only a shorter term solution anyways, once the kids are a little bigger that's gonna be pretty cramped. One obvious solution is an off-road trailer, but I'm probably 5 years out from being able to afford that. Another option is defender 110, which is on the bucket list. I think once my boys the are over 16 then we just take out multiple vehicles which would be a lot of fun.

IDK, if you had a two row vehicle and the other option was buying a new car, it could make sense price wise. Honestly I wish I had a shop (or actual skills beyond making excel sheets and PowerPoints) because I could totally see making a version of this here in the US and it doing well. Car seats are so unnecessarily huge these days. I've seen this travel 5 point harness option that is approved in most states and I almost want to switch to it just to get these bulky ridiculous seats out. Besides, we're Land Cruiser owners, does anything we do make financial sense?

But that is probably only a shorter term solution anyways, once the kids are a little bigger that's gonna be pretty cramped. One obvious solution is an off-road trailer, but I'm probably 5 years out from being able to afford that. Another option is defender 110, which is on the bucket list. I think once my boys the are over 16 then we just take out multiple vehicles which would be a lot of fun.
I hear you brother. I just think, using one seat in the 3rd row and then finding a way to carry the extra stuff on the roof or hanging out the back might the way to go.

I hear you brother. I just think, using one seat in the 3rd row and then finding a way to carry the extra stuff on the roof or hanging out the back might the way to go.
Yup, ultimately that's the direction I'm gonna go. Full size roof rack with as many things mounted to the side rails as possible. Dual swingout rear bumper with a cooler/storage box tray and probably mount a 5lb propane tank. And then put a water tank in the spare tire cavity underneath. As many things as possible out of the trunk. That would be my realistically achievable dream set up that I'm hoping I can achieve by the end of this year.

If things go well it'd be nice to also do gull wing windows and like this thread go full camel trophy vehicle and just have tons of stuff mounted everywhere lol

My original hatch was rotting from the inside out and unsalvageable due to the wind fairing being torn off under the P/O and a broken third brake light which both let moisture inside the hatch. Here's a pic of the cancer in stage II after a year or two of my ownership (its sits in the driveway, garage might have helped it live longer).
IMG-5131.jpg

and heres a pic of the stage IV cancer it had after I pulled it off this last weekend.
IMG-8360.jpg

and now the new-to-me hatch already color matched. I just had to transfer over the wind fairing I got from @ClassyJalopy and the fancy japanese windshield wiper and it matches perfectly. Not too bad of a job other than re snaking my camera wiring was difficult because the sun went down and it dropped fifteen degrees and my fingers stopped working.
IMG-8363.jpg

IMG-8362.jpg

Hatch courtesy of @TRDdrew

Last edited:
So my clearcoat on my hood just started coming off, kinda happened during a powerwash. So I guess my options are to do a ton of work and repaint the whole hood...or I could just matte black plasti-dip a hood no glare thing like some people do over that portion to cover it. I don't necessarily love that look...but I dont feel like doing the work or spending the money on the hood and you cant just repair this one spot right?

IMG-8393.jpg

Also I have these decals now from the old lift hatch. And I want to do something with them. I tried initially to see what the LAND CRUISER lettering would look like in the Land Rover style on the hood...didnt care for the look. So I thinking I'll turn it into some garage art and arrange it on a glossy black background, idk maybe have stick out and have backlighting. Any Ideas?
IMG-8398.jpg

IMG-8400.jpg

So my clearcoat on my hood just started coming off, kinda happened during a powerwash. So I guess my options are to do a ton of work and repaint the whole hood...or I could just matte black plasti-dip a hood no glare thing like some people do over that portion to cover it. I don't necessarily love that look...but I dont feel like doing the work or spending the money on the hood and you cant just repair this one spot right?

View attachment 2937339

Also I have these decals now from the old lift hatch. And I want to do something with them. I tried initially to see what the LAND CRUISER lettering would look like in the Land Rover style on the hood...didnt care for the look. So I thinking I'll turn it into some garage art and arrange it on a glossy black background, idk maybe have stick out and have backlighting. Any Ideas?
View attachment 2937342
View attachment 2937345
I'd put the emblems on the VW ;)

Just saw your build thread. You'd never know she's rolling up on 600k.

I also can say I was impressed with the ol' hundo's ability off road.

Any update on adding the single rear seat back in?
I have the plans drawn up, and the drawer slides and aluminum brackets in. Working on cutting and test fitting before I assembly.

Drawers still arent finished because I took my two oldest boys on a trip to Uwharrie National Forest for Olde North State Cruisers Carolina Relic Run event and then to Asheville. Installed @BenCC 's 3d printed scangauge holder in the sunglass tray to get my scangauge off the back of the steering wheel column. So slick, so factory looking, and now I can actually see if my o/d is off or ect is on. Crossed 540,000 on the odometer and still got 15 mpg loaded up, roof rack full, from Asheville back to Shenandoah valley even with all the hills, I think that's pretty good for the old girl. At the event I had an ABS light come on and at one point the truck wouldn't start and 1st gear seemed super messed up, had a heart attack and then realized none of that made sense. Turned out it was just a loose negative terminal that put the car into limp mode. So really no problems whatsoever, just flawless again.
IMG_8693.jpg

679955D4-0200-439C-8836-28596676A2B3.jpg

IMG_8712.jpg

There's a lot cleaner and nicer built up trucks out there, but there aint nobody that can touch my ambience game at the campsite in the Tiki Cruiser.

IMG_8733.jpg

IMG_8732.jpg

Alright, many updates to give, its been an insane summer with not much wheeling or wrenching but I did do a couple things and drove across the country a couple times (to Florida and back and to Minnesota/Wisconsin and back to Virginia). So busy I didnt have much time for regular maintenance and destroyed a caliper, rotor, and pad and had to do a brake job in an O'reillys parking lot in Kentucky.

Finally put a big boy roof rack on. Got the Gamiviti rack safari style, love it. Feels like everything is soooo much more secure up there now and its literally twice the amount of usable space as my last glorified cargo basket. No pictures with it loaded up but we usually have 3 68qt plano bins, a Yeti 20qt cooler, 5 folding chairs, 2 kids bikes, and some other random stuff and theres still lots of room. Def a necessity now that we have 4 kids and need part of the 3rd row, we'd never be able to pack everything in the car.
IMG-8946.jpg

IMG-8945.jpg

And finally (almost) finished the 3rd row compatible drawer! only took 9 months to make semi functional with lots of remaining fit issues.
IMG-9512.jpg

Fits behind the passenger 3rd row seat. Bottom drawer is for utensils, cooking stuff, bowls, and miscellaneous, its going to have a cutting board pullout underneath but I forgot to CNC a slot for the cutting board to come out of. The second drawer is for the stove but I need to modify the face of the drawer to flip down and make operating it easier. On top is a cabinet with a flip up door. I need to modify the door to open up and slide in though otherwise I cant access it while the stove is in use. There was lots of cutting, measuring, and moving pieces and even modifying the 14 inches to be more 13.5" because the hardware of the 3rd seat is otherwise very much in the way. As you can see I also had to cut holes in the plastic tailgate gap cover to accommodate the slide mechanisms. Trunk shuts....but barely. So its not 100% done but its usable and I took it on a long weekend camping trip and it worked great, but could be improved before the next one. It was a total rush job 3 nights before our trip and just needed it done.
IMG-9514.jpg

IMG-9510.jpg

I was waiting for this update. How was the WI/MN tour? Any interesting trails/forests to explore?

I was waiting for this update. How was the WI/MN tour? Any interesting trails/forests to explore?
It was great but we rarely do much off-roading. I've done some trails through MN in the Chippewa national forest that were fun, but most of the trip in Wisconsin was just camping with family and some minor dirt roads. Mostly we just stay at our families cabin living the lake life or at a family camp in Wisconsin on a lake. Hoping next year to take our time coming through the UP and down through 7 hour crash trail comes into Wisconsin. My sibling just moved from MN to northern Wisconsin so I'm sure I'll be making more trips.

It was great but we rarely do much off-roading. I've done some trails through MN in the Chippewa national forest that were fun, but most of the trip in Wisconsin was just camping with family and some minor dirt roads. Mostly we just stay at our families cabin living the lake life or at a family camp in Wisconsin on a lake. Hoping next year to take our time coming through the UP and down through 7 hour crash trail comes into Wisconsin. My sibling just moved from MN to northern Wisconsin so I'm sure I'll be making more trips.
Your sibling sounds like a smart person! :cool:

Our only off road park is in Tigerton, WI. If you like, give me a heads up before hand and I might be able to come hang out on a trail or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom