Shaped Bumper for purpose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How is the cut on your Hypertherm 45? Do you need to grind/buff the cut edge on thicker material quite a bit? I think I'm gonna go with the 65 or 85 when I get my table. Enough of that...

I'm in on this build too. I was going to look at a few different styles of bumpers/accessories for the 40/55/60/80 series along with Tacos, 4Runner, and Tundras too.

Looking good so far. Keep it up!

J

The Hypertherm 45 is really good. On the open cuts I just hit with a flapper wheel just prior to paint. I actually left the cutting marks exposed because they are so clean, and they look cool! :cool:

This bumpers looking pretty sweet. Ill keep an eye on this thread.

Nice use of jigs. I made several jigs out if plexiglass for different projects. A bit pricey to purchase, but I had a bunch if scrap pieces that fit my needs. I have a very old (and huge) plasma cutter. It eats the consumables at a horrible rate. I really need to replace it. I chose plexiglass due to the owners manual stating that "tracing" or pattern cutting needed to be done only with non metallic materials???? So I used what I had. Seems the newer machines don't have the same issues.

I look forward to reading and viewing your thread

TFJM

Wow, plexiglass?? I did use a pce of cedar corner molding the other day, not a mark on it. I've used a fair amount of wood for guides. I am planning on making a single pce cutting template for the brackets, in the event I make a couple more of these things.

So do you plan to integrate a hitch into the bumper, just keep the hitch you have in its place, or modify your current hitch into the bumper somehow? Just curious because I need a stout towing solution for my 62 and I'm looking at what people do for their designs.

Ideally I'd love a 4x4Labs dual pivot kit, but I don't think the wife will let me spend the money on one (which would come to about $1300) :crybaby: So I'll likely have to source the steel and parts and design & build my own.

The plan is to keep the trailer hitch. I'll show a bit more of the process here. I used plywood template for the bumper top. I didn't want just a straight bumper. I like the idea of an acute angle rolling the bumper face down, and having the ends narrowed slightly. I want' it to have shape,

P1020762.jpg

P1020765.jpg

P1020766.jpg

The diagonal pencil line is where I want to trim the ends from the frame bracket back. The middle section is 6" on top, and it tapers to 4 1/2" on the ends. The wheel nut socket represents future tire carrier spindle location. It would probably be located closer to the edge, but you have to realize the vertical face of the bumper also is 1" inside of vertical. Again, this is just for my desire to have a bumper that has shape.

The second photo shows something I wanted to tell you I figured out. If you put a square on the bumper, the vertical component will hit the chrome TOYOTA emblem about 3 1/2" from the edge of a 6" bumper. I didn't want to put a vertical tire carrier in the middle ( or whatever ) in the future, and find out it doesn't clear the tailgate!

The last photo shows a 31" arm of a projected tire carrier. I have a 31" long arm on the tire carrier on my FJ40, and it supports a 38.5"/14.5x15 TSL/SX. I wanted to confirm that I can carry any spare I might need. That tire is lighter than the 285/75R17 I have on the 60, but it is larger.

P1020762.jpg

P1020765.jpg

P1020766.jpg

These show the bumper template projected on the plywood. It shows how close I wanted to get the bumper lower edge to the bottom of the frame, and the relationship to the trailer hitch. OH, and FYI, the ID of the bumper is planned to be 6", this will figure into the brackets later. With the double bend on teh bottom, it doesn't seem to be that deep, and it doesn't look it either. But for info to come, there is a reason.

P1020781.jpg

P1020782.jpg

More later, sorry, but River Monsters is on. :D

P1020781.jpg

P1020782.jpg

Having been down the path of a similarly shaped front bumper you'll want to enclose the open side. I didn't and I regret it every time I even get near mud.

ooh, that's nice Pyro.

OP, I would toss a reciever in the bumper just in case because after your swingout is in place you won't need the hitch to protect your spare. These things have a horrible departure angle as it is and you're building a bumper well capable of deflecting rocks. My $.02, great fab skills by the way.

thanks 90FJ, thats the first big thing i have fabbed, im pretty happy with it
i do agree, put a receiver in your new bar. i did that on mine for two reasons, A) departure angle, and B) i have no chassis rails behind my spring hangers to mount a tow receiver to.

after looking at those pics is near impossible to tell that i have bobbed my 60

here is how i mounted my reciever to my new rear Xmember

plus its welded into the bar itself

another shot showing the side 'wings'

and a shot to show that its bobbed

soy for the little hijack :)

soooo awesome, I'm gonna go read your build thread now. what are those rims and how do you have Nevada plates?

OP, I too cut out my rear Xmember and added a spare tire carrier, I cut out my rear quarters and am finishing up a tube bumper. I think if you wheel you'd be happier in the long run. You have way more fab skills than I but here is what I came up with, I gained at least 15 degrees of departure angle.
DSC_0358.JPG

thanks 90FJ, thats the first big thing i have fabbed, im pretty happy with it
i do agree, put a receiver in your new bar. i did that on mine for two reasons, A) departure angle, and B) i have no chassis rails behind my spring hangers to mount a tow receiver to.

after looking at those pics is near impossible to tell that i have bobbed my 60

here is how i mounted my reciever to my new rear Xmember

[pics clipped]

soy for the little hijack :)

I love the bobbed with wings look. Gotta read your build thread now. Yours with dual pivots added is pretty damn close to what I'd like to do.

So I got some 1/2" x 6" flat and marked out the brackets. I had never used a plasma cutter prior to this build, so I went too slow, but the thing is amazing. The brackets go 9" into the frame, 1 1/4" past the first row of bolts that hold the rear body mount on. So it will have 6 bolts per side to hold it all together. I am leaving the trailer hitch on, so a little extra to fab around the bolts.

P1020837.jpg

P1020831.jpg

P1020838.jpg

P1020837.jpg

P1020831.jpg

P1020838.jpg

Then I marked out the holes and drilled them all at 1/2". I found out later that some had to be hogged out with a plasma cutter. My truck had an anomoly so I had to build in a compensation for a not perfectly square truck.

P1020849.jpg

A few years ago, this shop was a horse stall. I added to it, and there was a 18" elevation difference. Lots of people told me to build it up, but I saw a cool idea long ago, and my FJ40 will fit right thru that. It has been a real cool way to get at the under carriage on this build without always having to jack the truck up.

P1020849.jpg

P1020845.jpg

Last edited:
So I went down to my buddies at B&F. I helped Derek cut and press the new bumpers out. I'm really happy with them, and they are perfect shape!

P1020853.jpg

P1020853.jpg

soooo awesome, I'm gonna go read your build thread now. what are those rims and how do you have Nevada plates?

thanks FJ, they are called a sunraysia outback, i love the look of them over the standard sunraysias with the little triangles, the nevada plates are from when i was in Vegas a few years back for WERock, i bought them, cos i liked them :)

I love the bobbed with wings look. Gotta read your build thread now. Yours with dual pivots added is pretty damn close to what I'd like to do.

thanks spook, mine will be getting swing outs down the track :)

LOVE the little access door into your shop man, looks like it would make a lot of things very easy to do,
the folded up sections look great, cant wait to see more of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom