Shaped Bumper for purpose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here they are, painted and ready to go.

IMG_2354.JPG
IMG_2355.JPG
IMG_2356.JPG

Next three posts are just pictures of the fuel can holder. I incorporated a chainsaw carrier onto it. Damn it's been
handy to be able to just drop a hot saw in there and keep right on going!

IMG_2358.JPG
IMG_2359.JPG
IMG_2360.JPG
IMG_2361.JPG

Just a 3/4" bent sleeve for the saw bar. I dropped a plastic Hq blade protector in there and the saw rides nice and safe.

IMG_2362.JPG
IMG_2363.JPG
IMG_2364.JPG
IMG_2365.JPG

:clap:

any more pictures of the finished product?

Just some glory shots. the one has my Hq in a canvas cover, but it rode there for a couple of weeks. The second you can see the bar I use
for security, it has a padlock on the other end. Also the piece of heater hose I use a a saw bumper in the dirt. It's really solid and the lock
pins stop it from closing during dinner. I've also taken to turning the fuel cans facing forward to resist temptation of trying to just unscrew
and steal my fuel. I also cut those slots in the sides just to reduce weight.

P1000463.JPG
P1010374.jpg

Thanks. Glad you like it. I have a loop of 3/16” SS wire that I run through the saw handle
when I pass through urban areas. Makes it hard to just grab and run off with it.

excellent, well thought-out and designed bumper. nice job.

do you have any further details on your rear winch set up?

excellent, well thought-out and designed bumper. nice job.

do you have any further details on your rear winch set up?
No, it's an 11500 RUNVA XPS meaning synthetic rope. It's been used a couple of times lightly but
it gets tested regularly. The contactor is in a waterproof marine box back there. I ran dual 2/0 battery
cables along under center floor for power. No loss was the goal. I have a 750 A isolator switch under
the hood that controls both winches. Its off until I hit the dirt roads, then ON when tires go down. I have it
as an emergency off in event of dead shorts.
I just tab welded a 1/4" plate on top of the receiver hitch and mounted it feet down.
The hitch is only 1/2" lower than the bumper from straight line to bottom of the tires. It's been a hell of a
skid pad over the years, damned handy! I bent the tab on the hitch two summers ago, huge hit and it got
hung up, saved my butt. Only time I ever needed a snatch pull on the winch to get out of that mess.

what happened to the second bumper shell you had bent?
Standing in a corner. I've got a BJ74 which if I upgrade the stock bumper will get this one as well.
Hard to fit swingouts on BJ74 as the spindle pivots tend to block the tail lights. But I've been driving
the 60 too much to focus on the 74. I'd rather spend 4 weeks up north than a week in the shop!!

on your roof rack I notice that you are using the quick-n-easy rack towers. Are they the tall ones or short (unobtainium) ones?

on your roof rack I notice that you are using the quick-n-easy rack towers. Are they the tall ones or short (unobtainium) ones?
That's an Australian rack - Tradesman Brand. It has little chrome gutter clamps. I will be removing it. I've noticed they tend
to loosen off. With 8 clamps no problems, but it makes me nervous. It's also 3/4" steel square tube. I've since managed to
get a second pair of Thule gutter clamps so now I have 4 bars and the Thule clamping power is the best.
I'm messing with a plan to incorporate an awning. The front tube on the Tradesman used to hum in the wind, kinda
conflicts with the whine of my t case gears :confused:

No, it's an 11500 RUNVA XPS meaning synthetic rope. It's been used a couple of times lightly but
it gets tested regularly. The contactor is in a waterproof marine box back there. I ran dual 2/0 battery
cables along under center floor for power. No loss was the goal. I have a 750 A isolator switch under
the hood that controls both winches. Its off until I hit the dirt roads, then ON when tires go down. I have it
as an emergency off in event of dead shorts.
I just tab welded a 1/4" plate on top of the receiver hitch and mounted it feet down.
The hitch is only 1/2" lower than the bumper from straight line to bottom of the tires. It's been a hell of a
skid pad over the years, damned handy! I bent the tab on the hitch two summers ago, huge hit and it got
hung up, saved my butt. Only time I ever needed a snatch pull on the winch to get out of that mess.

Nicely done. I have a similar setup with custom swingouts, not as well thought out as yours. I may try and redo my jerry can carrier to a triple setup like yours.. Not sure about the winch .. Might be a tight squeeze. Love the thought of having two winches 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom