Shaped Bumper for purpose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I mounted up the brackets. Here is the reason why I am keeping the trailer hitch. It is a perfect platform for a rear winch, keeps the structural integrity of the rear end, and quite frankly isn't that much of a drag issue.

And yes, that is a MAC's Vice I got on speculation. I have to admit, it works amazingly well. Sort of a nice thing to have in the crash box in the back for repairs in the field.

P1020862.jpg

P1020862.jpg

Last edited:
So I made some little straight edges and got cutting. I measured the inner frame distance as base reference. It turned out to be 41 1/4" on my truck. When I removed the rear crossmember, it 41 1/16", I jammed a spreader bar back in there, and then tightened the hitch bolts to keep the frame from coming together again. So for me everything was measured from centerline.

P1020864.jpg

P1020863.jpg

P1020865.jpg

My cuts were really rough. I started to catch on as to how fast you have to move when using the Hypertherm 45. Basically for 3/16", as fast as you can pull the torch head smoothly is how fast it will cut. None of these were cleaned up, as it is all welded over anyways.

P1020864.jpg

P1020863.jpg

P1020865.jpg

Looking good dude and that pressed bumper is awesome... Is it just the camera angle or do the sides stick WAY out past the body?

Looking good dude and that pressed bumper is awesome... Is it just the camera angle or do the sides stick WAY out past the body?

Way out, I didn't want to be short!! I will have to cut the ends off at the brackets for shaping, and I wanted room for that, and if I screwed that up, I'd still have extra to mess with.

This is looking great. You're making me wish I had a welder now.

I'm following along on your bumper build. Turning out very nice.

Question: What Warn winch are you useing and did you have to disassemble it to fit in there.

Keep it going!

Wow, This is an awesome looking start! Cant wait to see the rest!!

Thanks for all the compliments :),

I am using an old 6000 lb winch. Before you all say it's not big enough, that is why God invented snatch blocks ! :flipoff2:

Here is a link to my getting it ready. https://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-recovery/733092-old-m6000.html

The winch was a gift from a friend. I would have preferred to put a 8000 lb winch there, but this will provide security nonetheless. Not to mention, it is a perfect fit.

I'm going to post 6 pics of the cutting of the bumper. What I wanted, and this is where shape comes into this. I wanted the side wings fo the bumper to lay forward 1 1/2" from straight. It gives the impression of clearance, and looks better to me.
I measured out 13 1/4 inches from the outer frame, that is where I decided that I wanted the bumper to end in theory. I had extra to adjust, but my measurements were based on that. I had drawn a line on the bumper and then with an angle finder, I just rotated the angle and measured the distance to the inside from a straight line. It turned out to be 11/16" @ 6", that would convert to 1 1/2" @ 13 1/4". I hoped....

P1020885.jpg

P1020883.jpg

P1020884.jpg

P1020885.jpg

P1020883.jpg

P1020884.jpg

Do you have access to a press? What tools or machines did you use to bend it? Is it fairly simple to have a local metal shop make those bends for a reasonable price?

I'd love to make something similar from one piece of steel then weld in all the extras.

Any info you could add would be appreciated. My knowledge of metal forming is poor.

I hope you're keeping measurements and angles recorded! So far I'm really liking this and would love to do a modified version for my rig (integrating a receiver and heavy quarter panel armor a-la the 4x4Labs bumper).

Do you have access to a press? What tools or machines did you use to bend it? Is it fairly simple to have a local metal shop make those bends for a reasonable price?

I'd love to make something similar from one piece of steel then weld in all the extras.

Any info you could add would be appreciated. My knowledge of metal forming is poor.

I don't know how to do multi quotes.

I used a local metal fab shop. They charge out for little DIY guys like me if you ask nicely. They have the shear and huge 2000 ton brake or whatever it is! It is fairly easy for them to do it. I've added most of the measurements as I go here, the first pic with the diagram has accurate bolt hole pattern. I am being tempted to offer the brackets to people for reasonable price, and maybe even a kit for someone to complete. I'd rather finish this one first before I get ahead of myself.

I hope you're keeping measurements and angles recorded! So far I'm really liking this and would love to do a modified version for my rig (integrating a receiver and heavy quarter panel armor a-la the 4x4Labs bumper).

I have definitely kept all measurements. I'll post a scale drawing later of the brackets that I used. The bumper shell dimensions are on the drawing as well.
I made the bracket with 1" x 6", and the bumper was created to fit just over this.

I kept the hitch for a couple of reasons, and I will be adding rear quarter panel armour. Its in the design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom