Shackles. How much of a problem is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
PO of my 40 put on a set of Downey 4" lift springs but didn't replace any of the bushings, shackles or Ubolts. I just picked up new parts to finish the job, but when I put the shackles on I realized that the Downey springs are only 2.5 inches wide. The shackles are 3+ inches wide, so there is a lot of slop.

How much of a problem is this? Should I try to fill the gap between the shackle and springs with washers or something? Should I scrap the springs and find something wider? Should I not use these shackles?

I'm confused why Downey would make the spring so much narrower than the mount on the frame. Here's a pic, you can see the width difference. The shackle and frame mount are right on. The spring has 1/2" of slop:

104587036-M.jpg

The new bushings I got with the shackles fit the frame mount perfect. The bushings that came with the downey springs are larger in diameter and the shoulders are narrower. It hasn't left the garage since I put them on. I snapped a pic after installing.

Is there a shackle available that tapers on the spring side to accomodate a narrow spring? I really don't want to swap out a new set of springs, but these 2.5" Downeys just don't seem right... How wide are stock Toyota and OME springs?

just get new bushings. those bushings look like they have too narrow of a shoulder anyway

just get new bushings. those bushings look like they have too narrow of a shoulder anyway

sor has all kind of diffrent size bushings. You can order them 1 by 1 also if you like.

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat289.tam?c...&lpt=1161623337&xax=12049&page.ctx=cat289.tam

Thanks for the replies and links. I'm going to get some measurements and order some different bushings from SOR. I'll probably have to use a washer or two as well.

forget sor cal kurt at cruiseroutfitters, he'll get you taken care of.

forget sor cal kurt at cruiseroutfitters, he'll get you taken care of.

I would say call kurt also but he sells kits not individules. And just has like stock sizes. I thought I had stock springs I was wrong. Kurt returned what I didn't use and prorated me on my return. Great vendor.

does the bolt fit the hole in spring bushing properly ? It looks like you got the wrong springs. Not meaning they willnot be fine just IIRC all fj40 were 2 7/8 ish wide with different bolt size depending on year.

does the bolt fit the hole in spring bushing properly ? It looks like you got the wrong springs. Not meaning they willnot be fine just IIRC all fj40 were 2 7/8 ish wide with different bolt size depending on year.

The inside diameter of the bushings on the spring fit the bolt. The outside diamter of the bushing is larger on the spring than the the frame mount. The spring bushings also have a narrow shoulder/flange.

I have two other questions about the shackles. These are 1.5 longer than stock. Will this change the driveshaft angles significantly enough to require shims? Just looking at it, I don't see much of difference, but I'm not sure how to take exact measurements.

Also, the taller springs and shackles have caused the steering wheel to be turned slightly when the tires are straight ahead. Where is the adjustment made in the steering to correct this?

Appears to me you have the wrong shackles, or wrong springs, too uch of a gap for wrong bushings..........How wide are those springs?

Appears to me you have the wrong shackles, or wrong springs, too uch of a gap for wrong bushings..........How wide are those springs?

Shackles are about 3" wide inside and fit the mount on the frame perfectly with new bushings. The springs are only 2.5" wide. They are the correct springs as sold by Downey. Just not sure why they didn't make them wider. I'm going to try and find bushings with extra wide shoulders/flanges.

That is cheesy in the extreme. One of the reasons that I don't use Downy for much of anything is their attitude that everything they do is the best way to do it and everyone else is ignorant. 2.5 inch springs for a Cruiser is a good example of that.

Personally I'd send them back and say thanks for nothing.

You will have to use some washer/spacers between the shackle and spring if you choose to use that setup.

Personally I would not use those shackles either (do a search here for "Shackel" and you will probably find more than one thread with my thoughs on proper shackle design.

If you didn't want to run washers on the springs, you could make a shackle sort of like the early model mini-truck shackles which are wider at one end than the other. It's be more work, and wouldn't really gain you anything over using washers.

Mark...

just opposite way, i know they make them for tacos

i would think their are lots of options. just a matter of findinr the right one

Those look like HFS shackles. Aren't their springs wider than most?

Try new bushings and a couple of thick washers. Or put them up for sale and get the narrower ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom