Selectro hub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

samatulich

SILVER Star
Threads
I noticed gear oil and/or grease coming out of my Selectro hub on my '76 FJ40 for the past several months. I decided to take off the hub and take a look. The metal ring (which I am guessing engages the wheel or not) was broken it two. Okay. I removed that metal ring and put the cover of the hub back on.

I would like to know if I may drive the 40 like this or if I will cause more internal damage to that part of the axle? Obviously I am not going to engage the 4 wheel drive.

I searched and found out that these hubs are known for "exploding internally" not sure if this is what they mean, but it's broken now.
I am also now in the market for new hubs. I always like these selectro's but I don't think I can get them anymore. From the searching I did my choices are Warn or Aisin not sure which to go with.
Selectro Hub.jpg
Inside Selectro Hub.jpg

Stock are stronger, but 76 is an oddball year so they may be hard to find. Warns will work fine. You also will need to at least replace the inner axle seal and repack the birfield with moly grease as the gear oil is leaking past the seal and washing the moly grease out of the knuckle. You might as well rebuild the knuckles since you have it apart anyway.

PM OrangeFJ45 on this board and get a set of Aisians

PM sent to OrangeFJ45 regarding a set of Aisian hubs.
I also figured that I would need to replace the inner axle seal and yes I have read many threads stating that I might as well rebuild the knuckles while I have it apart. So that is on the "list" of items to be dealt with.

Get ready for sticker shock from long body Asian hubs. Maybe the internals are the same as on course spline hubs should be able to get one of those cheap

Hi Samatulich,

Glad to see you post these pictures. They helped me ID my hubs!
(Which then led me to this old thread with lots more pictures https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/171688-ultimate-locking-hub-thread-library.html)

I know where you are coming from regarding these hubs - very simple to use. From what I can tell the selectro brand is now made by MileMarker, but they no longer produce these for old cruisers. Might be worth a call to double check, but no longer on their cross reference list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom