FJ40 Four Wheel Drive Test Video after New Aisin Locking Hub Install broke hub…? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ackcruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
Just installed new Aisin locking hubs on my 1976 Non USA FJ40. Made video to confirm four wheel drive is engaging front axel.

I jacked up all four wheels and shot this video. Is the rear differential only driving the drivers side rear wheel when 4x4 is engaged? Is this normal?

IMG_1588.jpeg

Normal with an open differential. Maybe the rear passenger side brake is stuck or dragging on the drum just enough.

That’s an excellent point. I’ll check the drag on the passenger side rear. I adjusted the drums about a month ago.

Unfortunately, the Aisin Fht 013 dial hub broke after install and test run. As you can see from the images below, the inside of the dial broke. Now, comparing the size of the no name Aisin knock off hub clutch and comparing it to the Aisin FHT 013 hub, the knock off hub clutch is much more narrow in thickness.

IMG_1603.jpeg

IMG_1602.jpeg
Are these Aisin hubs not the right ones? I‘ve unfortunately have had a challenge in trying to find the right hubs for my 1976 South American Fj40. I purchased the long body hubs thinking I had the long birfields but they did not fit. Here is my thread about that. Here post #14.

I need to get to the bottom of this locking hub issue. The birfields in the 1976 South American are what appear to be the longer type.

Images below are my birfields.

IMG_2907.jpeg

IMG_2906.jpeg

IMG_2925.jpeg

7.42 inches and 188.57MM.

On other threads, the below images identify this birfield by markings on the birf and by measurements as the stock 1976 longer type birfield measuring the same.

IMG_2106.jpeg

The Cityracer Asco long body hubs would not fit as the c clip on end of birf would not clear the inside gear in the body of Asco hub shown below on left.
IMG_3066.jpeg

Last edited:
How does the c-clip not clear? IIRC I had to reach in to the threaded axle hole with a pick and pull the axle out so I could put the clip on. It was like 30 years I re-did the knuckles so its a little foggy.

I would consider milling out some aluminum to provide the necessary clearance to get the clip installed.

You shouldn't have to mill anything. Long birfs require long body hubs. You can thread a bolt in the end of the birf to pull it out so you can install the C clip.

Unfortunately, the Aisin Fht 013 dial hub broke after install and test run. As you can see from the images below, the inside of the dial broke. Now, comparing the size of the no name Aisin knock off hub clutch and comparing it to the Aisin FHT 013 hub, the knock off hub clutch is much more narrow in thickness.

View attachment 3477222

View attachment 3477218Are these Aisin hubs not the right ones? I‘ve unfortunately have had a challenge in trying to find the right hubs for my 1976 South American Fj40. I purchased the long body hubs thinking I had the long birfields but they did not fit. Here is my thread about that. Here post #14.
Ref pic: These went on my 76 US Spec LC. Long body.

51E054A0-57D9-43AC-9CDE-049DBA81C4B1.jpeg

I must have missed something while trying to fit the City Racer long body ASCO hubs. It was summer or 2022 and was in middle of knuckle rebuild. I sold the hubs for a discount thinking my short body hubs would work. Just ordered them again.

For visual reference, the images below from CityRacer shows the C clip attaching nicely in groove on the end of the birf. I could not get it to fit but possibly I was rushing it and failed to pull the axel far enough out to clear the inside of the hub.

IMG_1606.jpeg
IMG_1607.jpeg

Below is image of the end of my axel as it sits now waiting for round two.
IMG_1609.jpeg

The CityRacer ASCO long body hubs work perfectly. @Racer65

It was installation error. I failed to pull the axel all the way out to get c-clip installed. Also, thought the play required was greater than the 1/8” play that I have. Onwards!

IMG_1610.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom