IFS Hub swap for bigger brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am tearing down and rebuilding my front axle.
I am upgrading hubs to IFS hubs.
I plan to use frontrange caliper bracket (that is if they ever answer the phone).

With that said, which year and model brake calipers are some of you guys using?

Thank you

I did this on the 62. Got whatever the Marlin Crawler website suggested. I think there aren’t many options.

I did have to carve out the backing plate a bit, it’s soft metal and just used tin snips and needle nose pliers to get it back in shape.

Personally, I wouldn’t do it on my 40 (I rebuilt my calipers) but the 62 is quite a bit heavier so…

Hope this helps?

Ian

I did this on the 62. Got whatever the Marlin Crawler website suggested. I think there aren’t many options.

I did have to carve out the backing plate a bit, it’s soft metal and just used tin snips and needle nose pliers to get it back in shape.

Personally, I wouldn’t do it on my 40 (I rebuilt my calipers) but the 62 is quite a bit heavier so…

Hope this helps?

Ian
I have 1.5” spacers and want to get rid of them and get bigger brakes. Im soa and 37” geolanders.

I am tearing down and rebuilding my front axle.
I am upgrading hubs to IFS hubs.
I plan to use frontrange caliper bracket (that is if they ever answer the phone).

With that said, which year and model brake calipers are some of you guys using?

Thank you

Post 141 has info and links to Tundra calipers.

I ordered two pairs of brackets from FROR last week and had them in two days after ordering.
I would recommend tossing their cheap hardware and using OEM Toyota fasteners though.

Honestly I think stock 40/60 brakes with the 60 MC/booster is plenty for a 40 even with 35-37’s, but if you really wanted more and to delete the spacers then 03-06 Tundra rotors and calipers would be plenty for you.

I ordered two pairs of brackets from FROR last week and had them in two days after ordering.
I would recommend tossing their cheap hardware and using OEM Toyota fasteners though.

Honestly I think stock 40/60 brakes with the 60 MC/booster is plenty for a 40 even with 35-37’s, but if you really wanted more and to delete the spacers then 03-06 Tundra rotors and calipers would be plenty for you.
Is fror better than sky?

Is fror better than sky?

I think FROR did it first… no first hand experience with Sky’s kit but is neat that have the 2nd set of bolt holes so you potentially use to mount a 2nd caliper to use a as a dedicated parking brake.

FROR ifs wheel hubs. FROR big brake mounts ( I use FJ cruiser calipers and Rotors And stop my 40 on 40s with FJ 80 non abs master Fwiw they don’t talk on the phone much but always get back to me fast with email or even messenger

IMG_4535.jpeg

IMG_4460.jpeg

IMG_4454.jpeg

IMG_4304.jpeg

Red Line in CO has
CLEARANCE ISSUE FOR THE ALIGNMENT BAR AND CALIPER.jpg
a complete kit for big rotors that I just installed on my axle. The IFS wheel hubs will move the rim out 1.5" on each end of the axle.

I built a FJ60 full floater axle so that both axles are the same track.

You will need a bigger master cylinder and may have to upgrade the booster also.

FROR ifs wheel hubs. FROR big brake mounts ( I use FJ cruiser calipers and Rotors And stop my 40 on 40s with FJ 80 non abs master Fwiw they don’t talk on the phone much but always get back to me fast with email or even messenger

View attachment 3439106

View attachment 3439108

View attachment 3439109

View attachment 3439110
You might want to double check that you have the calipers mounted on the correct side. In the photo is looks like the bleeder is at the bottom and they need to be at the top or you'll never be able to get all the air out of the system.

You might want to double check that you have the calipers mounted on the correct side. In the photo is looks like the bleeder is at the bottom and they need to be at the top or you'll never be able to get all the air out of the system.
LOL that was just mocking things up. it’s all good But thank you. Sorry I have not cleaned it since Rubithon

IMG_5610.jpeg

Last edited:
I did early tundra brakes with fror brackets on mine. I don't have a brake booster on my 66 so I went tundra calipers for the bigger pistons to lighten pedal effort. works ok. brakes are much bigger than the 40/60/ifs vented parts. had to do a little grinding to run split rims. looked to me like you could probably run the calipers on front side of knuckle with some effort but swapped them around anyways to the 'normal' position

IMG_4700a.JPG
IMG_4692a.JPG
IMG_4781a.JPG

my fror brackets for Tundra calipers just arrived. I just bought new oem 100 rotors, had hubs turned down. Knuckles and 4Runner hubs bs are getting blasted today then painted - assembly scheduled for this weekend…
I already have rear disc brakes and new 80 master cylinder and new 60 booster.

IMG_3895.jpeg

IMG_3880.jpeg

IMG_3878.jpeg

IMG_3639.jpeg

IMG_3638.jpeg

my fror brackets for Tundra calipers just arrived. I just bought new oem 100 rotors, had hubs turned down. Knuckles and horns bs are getting blasted today then painted assembly scheduled for this weekend…
I already have rear disc brakes and new 80 master cylinder and new 60 booster.

View attachment 3442103

View attachment 3442104

View attachment 3442106

View attachment 3442107

View attachment 3442108
I removed that shim on the adapter plate and replaced it with a plate with a brake line support

LONG SIDE BEFORE THE HUB.jpg

I think you will be happier with T100 1-1/16" bore master

Those red calipers look like 60 calipers, not 00-06 Tundra?

What do you think of FROR’s wheel studs? Their add says stronger than OEM.
Anybody here using them?

What do you think of FROR’s wheel studs? Their add says stronger than OEM.
Anybody here using them?

No Idea, I use OEM Toyota Matrix rear studs, they are a little bit longer then the IFS hub studs that would normally go in these hubs

No Idea, I use OEM Toyota Matrix rear studs, they are a little bit longer then the IFS hub studs that would normally go in these hubs
What rotors are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom