Selectable diff locker debate (aftermarket). (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We could continue with some more snarkiness, e.g. about someone complaining several years ago that a selectable front locker causes too much mental anguish because you have to, you know, select... :)

But we won't do that. We want to know what the ARB parts in that front pumpkin look like.
And is there a new way to work on front diffs that requires 2nd amendment equipment? Some shortcuts, perhaps? Will it threaten the cone washers enough so they come on out all by themselves?

Lets not forget that only unskilled and bad drivers choose selectable lockers and tires bigger then 33s :cool:

I took a 'no expense spared' approach with the preparation of my competition built Discovery. It was mentioned earlier about the collateral damage being caused by using lockers.

I took a different approach and I built the car properly, ARB'S front and rear (wired separately of course), tougher axles, CV's, flanges, steering gear, I even binned the alloy wheels and went with steel, only Toyota build a decent alloy wheel for off road use. If you plan to be working your rig hard then do it properly.

My avatar shows one of my runs in my Discovery, that was taking on all comers at the Land Rover competition in Lorca around 11 years ago. It was one of the toughest tracks I had ever competed on, I did not break a thing.......well OK, I tore a tendon/ligament in my left shoulder.

In a nutshell, think carefully about what you envisage using the vehicle for, then build the vehicle for it's intended use.

Regards

Dave

It's fun to successfully plan out and build a great off road vehicle. Overlander, rock crawler, mudhole blaster, all around trail beater. As long as you enjoy it to each his own. I honestly think the young guys with cherokees modded with sawzall and used tires probably have the most fun.

All of these noted issues are why I put detroits in mine, front and back
and once you get used to them they are very predictable in their driveability and you can always depend on them to work
the issues of it being hard to steer is kind of a non issue as you can shift out of 4x if you need to
i realize this thread isnt about the viability of non selectable vs selectable lockers... but you can mitigate alot of said issues by going detroits
and in my mind its actually easier on things as you dont have the front diff trying to change the tires thats spinning when in 'open diff mode'
just a thought
can you say more about your Detroit locker experiences?

examples of obstacles and how well they perform etc?

I have to make a decision and obviously it's costly. need to get this right.

How often are you backing up and going forward? I mean to be honest, I really cant think of a time when i would be just rocking back and forth like this. Sure you reverse/roll off an obstacle or take a new line but these are large movements when you are locked. Moreover, on difficult climbs or off camber crawling, your tries are slipping anyway sometimes while locked anyway so its not like you really lose anything having to wait for a small rotation.

The only time I can think that it might be annoying is if you roll back to give your self a bump but they re just going to lock back up when you move forward.

so apparently not. after it disengages, the reengagement doesn't always happen predictably or reliably.

there's video of people spinning one tire while locked. the engagement isn't happening.

I think the scenario that people are leery of is being locked, driving forward, rocking back momentarily, then getting on the gas to go forward again, and having the mechanism unlock in that half tire rotation. So, when you got the gas again the kicker is momentarily unlocked.

I can picture it being a potential downside, but without playing with it in the bush, not sure if would actually translate to being a problem
I wonder if some of this shortcoming can be addressed or mitigated with left foot braking. does that help build load and keep the diff locked or help the diff lock up before you reengage an obstacle?

I wonder if some of this shortcoming can be addressed or mitigated with left foot braking. does that help build load and keep the diff locked or help the diff lock up before you reengage an obstacle?
It would tend to occur more when in mud or snow trying to move forward, then shift to reverse. There is that moment where everything is unloaded and in a "neutral" position. Then it ramps up the other side while inertia is building. Holding the brake will have no effect.

so apparently not. after it disengages, the reengagement doesn't always happen predictably or reliably.

there's video of people spinning one tire while locked. the engagement isn't happening.

I would have to see a video and I’ve already seen plenty as this would contradict the mechanical operation of the locker

It would tend to occur more when in mud or snow trying to move forward, then shift to reverse. There is that moment where everything is unloaded and in a "neutral" position. Then it ramps up the other side while inertia is building. Holding the brake will have no effect.
Actually, left foot braking would make it worse, because with the brakes on, you're inhibiting wheel rotation and it's the rotation that's necessary to engage the locker(s).

Actually, left foot braking would make it worse, because with the brakes on, you're inhibiting wheel rotation and it's the rotation that's necessary to engage the locker(s).
I hear you, but the videos show clearly that sometimes multiple full rotations of the wheel do not actually engage the locker. manufacturer language mentions load, so my query is of you need that half revolution of travel to be loaded for the locker engagement.

or is something else at play?

I hear you, but the videos show clearly that sometimes multiple full rotations of the wheel do not actually engage the locker. manufacturer language mentions load, so my query is of you need that half revolution of travel to be loaded for the locker engagement.

or is something else at play?
After watching the video you posted in your post #231, I truely believe that there is an electrical issue with that rig's lockers. It's also possible that the wrong gear lube is being used. They are NOT that complicated. If the electromagnets are getting the voltage, there's no excuse for them not to engage, with proper rotation, unless there is excessive friction in the gear set. My Harrop manual indicated using 100% synthetic 75w-90. I use Amsoil and have not seen that kind of performance with mine. Also, if a wiring error causes intermittant opens at the locker, than it makes sense that it's performing like that

Last edited:
After watching the video you posted in your post #231, I truely believe that there is an electrical issue with that rigs lockers. It's also possible that the wrong gear lube is being used. They are NOT that complicated. If the electromagnets are getting the voltage, there's no excuse for them not to engage, with proper rotation, unless there is excessive friction in the gear set. My Harrop manual indicated using 100% synthetic 75w-90. I use Amsoil and have not seen that kind of performance with mine. Also, if a wiring error causes intermittant opens at the locker, than it make sense that it's performing like that

I am glad to hear your experience because that's encouraging. again, there's a lot of satisfied customers. I am thinking of a Harrop for a front locker and sticking with factory Toyota in the rear.

to be honest I'm not trying to crawl up rocks and intentionally damage my rig to get the "win"

I just want to be able to get to camp, wherever it is. I only want to do this job once this decade if you get my meaning. I'm not loaded with money and just want to do the due diligence to get it right on the first time around.

Hmmm I have seen that video and I guess never made that much attention. Thanks for sharing. That’s a bit curious. Wonder what the cause is, sounds like one of the dudes had them replaced twice already. As mentioned maybe it’s more of an electrical issue.

Hmmm I have seen that video and I guess never made that much attention. Thanks for sharing. That’s a bit curious. Wonder what the cause is, sounds like one of the dudes had them replaced twice already. As mentioned maybe it’s more of an electrical issue.

and I don't want to be biased... the guy making the video is being obnoxious as ****. he's clearly all about ARB lockers and their solid engagement.

if I was traveling with someone that said E LOCKEEER every time my locker wasn't working, while he was filming, I'd stop traveling with that guy.

I am glad to hear your experience because that's encouraging. again, there's a lot of satisfied customers. I am thinking of a Harrop for a front locker and sticking with factory Toyota in the rear.

to be honest I'm not trying to crawl up rocks and intentionally damage my rig to get the "win"

I just want to be able to get to camp, wherever it is. I only want to do this job once this decade if you get my meaning. I'm not loaded with money and just want to do the due diligence to get it right on the first time around.
To be honest, the Harrop is not a locker that you'd use for competition or technical rock crawling. It's forte is simplicity and reliability. BUT, it must be installed, including the wiring or especially the wiring, with care away from heat sources like exhaust pipes, and allowed to flex safely between axle and frame/body. Lastly, use the best quality 100% synthetic gear oil and keep it maintained. Most have not experienced the difference between mid quality dino gear oil and the high quality 100% synthetic gear lube such as Amsoil Severe Gear. When I lived in Wyoming, I had to park my work truck outside in sometimes -20 F and colder at night. One morning, I started the truck and couldn't move the manual gear shift into neutral until it had warmed up after about 20 minutes. Had to sit there with the clutch depressed all that time. I switched to Amsoil 100% synthetic 75w-90 gear lube, in the transmission and never had that problem again. Just one example of the performance of true synthetic gear lube.

I considered the comment on the 2 replacements, too. But like @trinydex mentioned, the author is clearly an ARB believer, so he could be lying or fed bad info from the Harrop rig owner. It could even be the installer is totally inept and keeps screwing up the installs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom