Selectable diff locker debate (aftermarket).

mudgudgeon

Resident galah
SILVER Star

The English language got murdered and buried in a shallow grave, only reachable with 33" ATs, mad skills, and LSDs a few pages back, and now you say "what?". :lol:

ChaseTruck

--
SILVER Star
We could continue with some more snarkiness, e.g. about someone complaining several years ago that a selectable front locker causes too much mental anguish because you have to, you know, select... :)

But we won't do that. We want to know what the ARB parts in that front pumpkin look like.
And is there a new way to work on front diffs that requires 2nd amendment equipment? Some shortcuts, perhaps? Will it threaten the cone washers enough so they come on out all by themselves?

Broski

I love Wheelin my 80
SILVER Star
Morro Bay, At the edge of the Pacific ocean
Lets not forget that only unskilled and bad drivers choose selectable lockers and tires bigger then 33s :cool:

Dave 2000

Not all Land Rovers are useless!
I took a 'no expense spared' approach with the preparation of my competition built Discovery. It was mentioned earlier about the collateral damage being caused by using lockers.

I took a different approach and I built the car properly, ARB'S front and rear (wired separately of course), tougher axles, CV's, flanges, steering gear, I even binned the alloy wheels and went with steel, only Toyota build a decent alloy wheel for off road use. If you plan to be working your rig hard then do it properly.

My avatar shows one of my runs in my Discovery, that was taking on all comers at the Land Rover competition in Lorca around 11 years ago. It was one of the toughest tracks I had ever competed on, I did not break a thing.......well OK, I tore a tendon/ligament in my left shoulder.

In a nutshell, think carefully about what you envisage using the vehicle for, then build the vehicle for it's intended use.

Regards

Dave

It's fun to successfully plan out and build a great off road vehicle. Overlander, rock crawler, mudhole blaster, all around trail beater. As long as you enjoy it to each his own. I honestly think the young guys with cherokees modded with sawzall and used tires probably have the most fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom