Selectable diff locker debate (aftermarket). (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How a lunchbox type locker allows differentation: The pinion gear turns the ring gear which turns the carrier... The carrier pin turns with the carrier and turns the 2 halves of the lunchbox locker which lock into the side gears...The carrier pin pressing against these 2 halves forces them apart to lock into the side gears. When your outside wheel begins to turn faster than the inside wheel in a turn the half of the locker will move faster than the pin slightly and unlock from the side gear and "ratchet ahead sliding over the locking lugs". As soon as it is getting force from the carrier pin it will lock back in..........The lunchbox type will never allow either wheel to spin slower than the gear ratio. It will allow the outside wheel to turn faster....This is the differentation that gives you better steerability than an air, electric, or cable locker when locked. When you turn on slick terrain with a manual locker the outside wheel acts as a brake working against your turning the vehicle.

Detroit and lunchbox type is called a locker because it will not allow a wheel to slip or spin slower than driven. It will allow to ratchet ahead faster.
Obviously I will be in camp roasting dinner of my choice while you are stuck and drawing pictures.

clearly more locker threads are needed :rofl:

that or we all need to just go chewing and bs about it after

The thread got derailed in the first few pages!!!
It started out about the differences of selectable lockers, Air versus Electric
The OP tried to keep it track but the Peps weren't listening.
It was never about what type of lockers are best.
Of course people always tend to think whatever they have is the best😂🤣😁
I always advocate and try to sell people on the lunchbox type because they've done so well for me and they are the cheapest/easiest install. I also do add the disclaimer "I don't drive on ice and snow". It has been in the past year I've seen newer high dollar jeeps having trouble with manual lockers and steerability on slick clay uphills with trees and rocks to go between.........Install is 2 hours of heavy dirty work, but totally not complex as you don't have to reset preload and backlash.

I always advocate and try to sell people on the lunchbox type because they've done so well for me and they are the cheapest/easiest install. I also do add the disclaimer "I don't drive on ice and snow". It has been in the past year I've seen newer high dollar jeeps having trouble with manual lockers and steerability on slick clay uphills with trees and rocks to go between.........Install is 2 hours of heavy dirty work, but totally not complex as you don't have to reset preload and backlash.
I believe myself a man of poetic words and broken parts living north of most here, what did you say?

egos and icons..... :rofl:

a slectable AUTO locker would be cool

I’m not trying to sell anybody on anything, just trying to educate people on what I feel is the optimum traction adder that I’ve experienced which includes selectable lockers and Aussie lockers.

Kaisers are by default locked. It’s the rotational difference across the axle (binding) that forces the slower rotating side to slip proportionally to the rational difference. That doesn’t mean that the slipping side isn’t driven, it’s just driven at a reduced amount.

Our 80s are especially adept to use these locked differentials as we have a VC in the transfer case. The VC links the front axle to the rear axle with basically a sophisticated limited slip differential.

This allows our front and rear axles to be passively linked allowing rotational differences but also providing a minimal amount of drive to axle under bind to support forward motion.

@landtank how do the Kaisers feel on the road when, for example, rapidly accelerating from a right turn into traffic?

From what I experienced and read, it sounds like most auto lockers behave poorly in turns unless you coast. Personally, I'm not willing to change my driving style in favor of better traction in the 1% of use cases where I'd need it. Obviously others have different priorities and some will care far more about peak off-road traction than road manners.

Also, what about slick, cambered surfaces? I've seen videos where rigs with auto-lockers slide off the side of a trail when open differentials would have maintained sideways grip with one front and I've rear wheel.

Yes and I have supplied much BS but I had hoped this thread would serve the future.

It will, at least until it diverges into politics or current events. It's still a technical discussion. It's not ideal for searches, but that's already a whole skillset due to decades of poorly named and meandering threads. Unearthing the specific information you were looking for is half the fun!

It will, at least until it diverges into politics or current events. It's still a technical discussion. It's not ideal for searches, but that's already a whole skillset due to decades of poorly named and meandering threads. Unearthing the specific information you were looking for is half the fun!
What skill set demans the posting of poorly named and meandering threads? Locked or not locked.

Almost all rock crawlers uses ARB air lockers...just stick with that dude.. you have a rock crawler and not a mall crawler...
I am out again. i love not beeing around MUD...lol

Oh yeah, it’s out….
DDFCDB29-4ABF-4100-975E-06F74606C5F0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom