Seeking advice: Replacing entire rack and pinion or just inner tie rods on LX470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seeking advice on some maintenance that was neglected on my new-to-me 2002 LX470 with 179500 miles on her. I just took my lx to my local tire + axle guy who pointed out to me that I had some significant issues with my front end.

First off, all ball joints were totally shot. That's a no-brainer, need to replace. Ordered a set from Senkei 555.

Secondly, he pointed out that he was able to physically grab the outer tie rod and move the entire rack and pinion assembly back and forth (perpendicular to the direction of the vehicle, of course.) He recommended the following: Replace both inner tie rods, boots, and boot clamps. Replace rack & pinion mount bushing.

Now, his recommendations do make sense to me, however, I'm concerned there may be damage to the rack unit since it was had a MASSIVE amount of play in it - like literally a scary amount.

As an alternative, I think it may be smarter to replace the entire rack & pinion unit. So my alternative idea: purchase new OEM rack and pinion, new power steering fluid lines, new reservoir, new fluid + drain and flush, new tie rod ends. Clearly, this is an entire system re-vamp and will be a lot more expensive.

The question is: Would anyone expect my rack and pinion to be in a damaged conditioning considering the large amount of play in it from worn out inner tie rods (or maybe it's something else....)? I'm thinking I should only go for my alternative/plan B if I remove the skid plates and see that my rack is leaking fluid, etc. If not, maybe the cheaper OEM route is worth it... Replace inner tie rods, rack mount bushing, align, and hope for the best... Thanks in advance!

Would anyone expect my rack and pinion to be in a damaged conditioning considering the large amount of play in it from worn out inner tie rods (or maybe it's something else....)?
Yes.

IF you intend to keep the vehicle long term, revamp it all and be done with it.

Labor to replace certain parts vs. just pulling the old steering rack and replacing with new will end up being false economy.

Have a look at all your bushings while you are at it. I went through my complete front end at about 230K and man what a difference.

If finances permit.....just do it right, no bandaid (minimal) fixes.

IF you intend to keep the vehicle long term, revamp it all and be done with it.

Labor to replace certain parts vs. just pulling the old steering rack and replacing with new will end up being false economy.

Have a look at all your bushings while you are at it. I went through my complete front end at about 230K and man what a difference.

If finances permit.....just do it right, no bandaid (minimal) fixes.
Very true.. Unfortunately i don't have the space to do the work myself, im assuming with a lift and proper knowledge it seems like a fairly simple job for any seasoned mechanic... Have you taken the full rack out of yours? How much of a pain is the job? Thx

Very true.. Unfortunately i don't have the space to do the work myself, im assuming with a lift and proper knowledge it seems like a fairly simple job for any seasoned mechanic... Have you taken the full rack out of yours? How much of a pain is the job? Thx

Not a challenging job for a decent mechanic. A lift would be nice....but not absolutely necessary. Yes, I've replaced mine and more.

frt parts ready1.jpg

Not a challenging job for a decent mechanic. A lift would be nice....but not absolutely necessary. Yes, I've replaced mine and more.

View attachment 2836121
Awesome, thanks for letting me know. I think I have decided on replacing the rack, fluid reservoir, HP lines, and return lines to make a new clean system for the power steering. My pump is fine, which is great... I think it's pretty new actually.

Did you replace with a OEM rack? Did you consider using a Detroit Axle or other off-brand?

I'd do the replacement; it's probably double the labor but you're not going back in there to redo it.

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. I think I have decided on replacing the rack, fluid reservoir, HP lines, and return lines to make a new clean system for the power steering. My pump is fine, which is great... I think it's pretty new actually.

Did you replace with a OEM rack? Did you consider using a Detroit Axle or other off-brand?

OEM and I am not a Toyota purist, but this is one of those areas where you want to put the best possible part back in.

(Timing Belt job, same thing) don't scrimp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom