Tie Rod Ends (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Morning All!

275K 2000 land cruiser. Just purchased recently, 2 inch lift. I have been adjusting the torsion bars in front to get the ride height correct, 21.5 inches hub to fender on passenger and 21.75 on drivers side (finally got it!). Also was able to successfully adjust the panhard bar in the rear to align the rear axle, feels good! I need to get the vehicle aligned, badly, BUT, the original owner installed the 2 inch lift at 273K, it still has original upper control arms but he purchased SPC uppers and included them when I bought it. I am about to go in and install those. Yesterday when I pulled the tire off I noticed a few things about my tie rod ends. The boot for the outer tie rod (more towards front of vehicle, right?) had some grease on the bottom and generally looked "wet" on the underside. I wiped off the grease I could and just assumed that it was from over greasing? Pic 1 and 2 below. The small boot on the outer (pic 3) looks packed as well, haven't touched it. Also noticed that there is some wear on the inner tie rod (pic 4) rubber bushings (are they rubber bushings?).

Anyway, today I am going to go and do the wiggle test when I lift it back up to see if there is any play. But from these photos, should I just replace all of it while I am in there? Anything else before an alignment, just because?

Thanks,

Alex

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 8.06.40 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 8.06.28 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 8.06.35 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 8.06.44 AM.png

The last pic (4?)...that's your sway bar bushings. And yeah, they're hammered. With the lift you can go with something like extended links to restore geometry, or just replace with OEM. Not an emergency, just a nice to have while you're in there.

As far as the grease—just wipe it up and then check for play. If there isn't any play in it, then your only issue is that it's dirty. Good problem to have!

Pic 1 & 2, are (among others parts), inner TRE boot. When we see wet on bottom of boot, from oil (ATF fluid (AKA power steering fluid)) and not wet on top. It's a clear indication, the steering rack & pinion (R&P) out put seal is leaking. ATF passes the seal and pools in the boot, until finding it's way out. Further sign is PS reservoir level low/dropping. Cure, replace R&P. Can we live with a weep, sure. But keep are clean, as oil soaking bushing trashes them Also keep PS res topped or vane pump may run dry.

Outer TRE ball joint boot. If not torn, is fine. It's not an indication of a bad joint. Some grease, likely squishing out due to excessive angle lift imposed. pic #3

Pic #4 is a stabilizer link. Consider extended kinks from TT, with your 2" lift. When you see metal to metal, inside the LCA bracket it bolt into.

I see a lot of angle on FDS (AKA CV). Consider installing a diff drop from Slee Off road.

Start saving for new FDS! Lifts done after ~20K, the inner CV start clicking 7 out of 10 times in 5k to 20K.

Pic 1 & 2, are (among others parts), inner TRE boot. When we see wet on bottom of boot, from oil (ATF fluid (AKA power steering fluid)) and not wet on top. It's a clear indication, the steering rack & pinion (R&P) out put seal is leaking. ATF passes the seal and pools in the boot, until finding it's way out. Further sign is PS reservoir level low/dropping. Cure, replace R&P. Can we live with a weep, sure. But keep are clean, as oil soaking bushing trashes them Also keep PS res topped or vane pump may run dry.

Outer TRE ball joint boot. If not torn, is fine. It's not an indication of a bad joint. Some grease, likely squishing out due to excessive angle lift imposed. pic #3

Pic #4 is a stabilizer link. Consider extended kinks from TT, with your 2" lift. When you see metal to metal, inside the LCA bracket it bolt into.

I see a lot of angle on FDS (AKA CV). Consider installing a diff drop from Slee Off road.

Start saving for new FDS! Lifts done after ~20K, the inner CV start clicking 7 out of 10 times in 5k to 20K.
In regards to TRE Boot, Thanks! I will remove boot and see what is going on in there. I checked my ATF fluid, looks like I have lost only a tiny bit, if any.

I was mistaking the sway bar as a tie rod. Now I understand that the tie rod inner and outer are attached, duh. I am going to go look for play right now. Will report back.

I will clean the TRE ball joint boot today and monitor going forward. Any reason to re grease?

All of these pictures are taken when the truck is lifted on jack stands in the front, with the wheel off, but fully "drooped". Here are some of it on the ground. There was a front diff drop included in the install of the stage 3 foam cell pro ironman lift.

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 11.07.41 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 11.07.47 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom