Events/Trails Seattle area role call and planning thread (1 Viewer)

Let’s do a Tahuya trip. When can you go?

• Saturday July 24

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Saturday July 31

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saturday Aug 7

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@MrMikeyG a few months back @tbisaacs posted a free fridge slide and I ended up grabbing it...I no longer have an immediate use for it and if you are still interested, I would be glad to pass it along to someone who would get use out of it sooner than I will...let me know. Located in North Seattle.
If he doesn't respond, I'll happily take it.

I have added a (free!) canoe to my ongoing classifieds thread.

Hey Fellas,
So I had the pleasure of hydro-locking my engine on Xmas eve last year. I just got it back from TorFab and they did an amazing job of bringing my baby back to like. But after this experience I want to get a snorkel. My issue is I really hate the way many of the snorkels on the market look.

I have found 2 options I like the look of;
Telawei LC200 Snorkel 4WD Snorkel kits - https://www.tlv4x4.com/product--id-6109.html
&
Monster Service https://monsterservice.pro/shop/cars/lexus-lx570/aerodynamic-snorkel-lexus-lx570-2007-2015/

The Telawei is way cheaper but they don't say it will fit an LX570 only LC200. So are the quarter panels that different?

The Monster one says it works. But it is super expensive and I only know of one person that has one and it sounds like it was a major hassle to get it from Russia where the company is based. And their FB reviews mirror this issue.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

@grinchy which one did you get?

Hey Fellas,
So I had the pleasure of hydro-locking my engine on Xmas eve last year. I just got it back from TorFab and they did an amazing job of bringing my baby back to like. But after this experience I want to get a snorkel. My issue is I really hate the way many of the snorkels on the market look.

I have found 2 options I like the look of;
Telawei LC200 Snorkel 4WD Snorkel kits - https://www.tlv4x4.com/product--id-6109.html
&
Monster Service Aerodynamic snorkel Lexus LX570 2007-2015 for LEXUS LX570 - Monsterservice - https://monsterservice.pro/shop/cars/lexus-lx570/aerodynamic-snorkel-lexus-lx570-2007-2015/

The Telawei is way cheaper but they don't say it will fit an LX570 only LC200. So are the quarter panels that different?

The Monster one says it works. But it is super expensive and I only know of one person that has one and it sounds like it was a major hassle to get it from Russia where the company is based. And their FB reviews mirror this issue.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

@grinchy which one did you get?
That first one someone is selling one on the forum. I forget who though.

I have a clone of the TJM, it's on ebay for around $250. I'd recommend just getting the actual TJM though, I had to do some plastics sizing (10 min with a dremel) to get the two parts to fit together. Otherwise it's been fine.

Bummer about the hydrolocking. I did a BMW straight 6 in a 325es in my youth and that was a painful lesson.

That first one someone is selling one on the forum. I forget who though.

I have a clone of the TJM, it's on ebay for around $250. I'd recommend just getting the actual TJM though, I had to do some plastics sizing (10 min with a dremel) to get the two parts to fit together. Otherwise it's been fine.

Bummer about the hydrolocking. I did a BMW straight 6 in a 325es in my youth and that was a painful lesson.
I got lucky and it was covered by insurance. But they totaled the truck and I had to buy it back.

Also TJM doesn't make one for L570) on the site.

I got lucky and it was covered by insurance. But they totaled the truck and I had to buy it back.

Also TJM doesn't make one for L570) on the site.
does anyone make an LX specific snorkel?

does anyone make an LX specific snorkel?
These guys do but they are super expensive and in Russia and their customer service seems to be terrible. I know of a guy that got one but apparently it took forever.

Nope, not me.

I sold my extra LC one to an individual that is building a really nice LC on 37’s 🤙🏼

Anyone going down this road would want to make sure to get the specific model for either a LC or LX. They are not the same and won’t fit the fender contour well if they’re the wrong part.

Also, the installation isn’t straight forward, or plug & play. As has been mentioned before, the inner fender tubes don’t fit perfectly and I had to cut the inner tubes shorter and trim the factory plastic tube that goes from the engine to the inner fender. Have to be a little resourceful to make it work.

This is the proper one on my LX…

IMG_5110.jpeg

Nope, not me.

I sold my extra LC one to an individual that is building a really nice LC on 37’s 🤙🏼

Anyone going down this road would want to make sure to get the specific model for either a LC or LX. They are not the same and won’t fit the fender contour well if they’re the wrong part.

Also, the installation isn’t straight forward, or plug & play. As has been mentioned before, the inner fender tubes don’t fit perfectly and I had to cut the inner tubes shorter and trim the factory plastic tube that goes from the engine to the inner fender. Have to be a little resourceful to make it work.

View attachment 3286232
That definitely looks amazing!

Nope, not me.

View attachment 3286232
Are you tiny on insta?

Yep, that’s me
Nice I think Nick fromTorFab asked you a few questions for me.

Would you recommend the monster snorkel?

Are you satisfied with it?

How long did it take to get?

Did you document the install?

Did you pay for expedited freight?

Last edited:
Nice I think Nick fromTorFab asked you a few questions for me.

Would you recommend the monster snorkel?

Are you satisfied with it?

How long did it take to get?

Did you document the install?

Did you pay for expedited freight?
Yep, Casten did ask me about it.

So, my primary motivation was the look, to be honest. I had taken both my 80 and 100 through water deep enough to be a concern w/o a snorkel, then after installing snorkels on both of those rigs, I never found myself in deep enough water to need them. Now on 40’s, I doubt I will ever be in deep enough water to need it, but I do like the look enough to have justified the cost and installation.

I think my first one took a couple months to arrive after ordering right when the war started. Then the second one, there was a shipping mix up and it took at least that long. I think they are able to arrive much more quickly, but it didn’t happen for me. And no, I didn’t pay for expedited shipping.

I didn’t document the install, but I’m always happy to answer any questions. The plastic OEM tube that extends through the inner fender isn’t round, and the tube and silicone gasket is round, so it’s a lot of work. I trimmed back the OEM tube and you can place the silicone gasket on that first, then the Mons part can slide into that, with a lot of frustration and no room to wiggle it around.

IMG_5140.jpeg

Then you’ll find (or at least I did) the two fiberglass tubes are too long to properly fit together. So off to cut, trim and slot those. I haven’t completely finished installing yet but I can admit it isn’t perfectly sealed up watertight in my opinion. You can probably make it watertight with some RTV (which I think someone else mentioned doing this) or similar sealant. There is also a rubber water drain on the bottom of the first inner fender part that doesn’t look like it would open easily but just isn’t exactly watertight either.

That said, I would still do it again 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Yep, Casten did ask me about it.

So, my primary motivation was the look, to be honest. I had taken both my 80 and 100 through water deep enough to be a concern w/o a snorkel, then after installing snorkels on both of those rigs, I never found myself in deep enough water to need them. Now on 40’s, I doubt I will ever be in deep enough water to need it, but I do like the look enough to have justified the cost and installation.

I think my first one took a couple months to arrive after ordering right when the war started. Then the second one, there was a shipping mix up and it took at least that long. I think they are able to arrive much more quickly, but it didn’t happen for me. And no, I didn’t pay for expedited shipping.

I didn’t document the install, but I’m always happy to answer any questions. The plastic OEM tube that extends through the inner fender isn’t round, and the tube and silicone gasket is round, so it’s a lot of work. I trimmed back the OEM tube and you can place the silicone gasket on that first, then the Mons part can slide into that, with a lot of frustration and no room to wiggle it around.

View attachment 3286797

Then you’ll find (or at least I did) the two fiberglass tubes are too long to properly fit together. So off to cut, trim and slot those. I haven’t completely finished installing yet but I can admit it isn’t perfectly sealed up watertight in my opinion. You can probably make it watertight with some RTV (which I think someone else mentioned doing this) or similar sealant. There is also a rubber water drain on the bottom of the first inner fender part that doesn’t look like it would open easily but just isn’t exactly watertight either.

That said, I would still do it again 🤦🏻‍♂️
Did you pay to have it painted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom