Seat Coolers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The key to making it work is the reticulated foam that allows air to flow through to the perforated inserts:

4624003C-D563-4CC1-A75C-E007C435BB13.jpeg

5AA449B8-2EC9-4F3A-8770-C2611673FC8C.jpeg

Last edited:
Another item on my 'didn't know I needed this' list. The boys thank you, Cam!

Ok, I so need this!

I’ve been dwelling on what to do for seats since I’ve had my rig.

I still really want to do the 2014 Audi seats that a member did, but this option intrigued me.

I’m on the fence with factory seats, due to the plastic worm gear issue.

A good write up of the A/C ducting componets would be fantastic! A must!!

Then I’ll see if braiding that into aftermarket seats is an option.

I liked the photos of what appear to be ducting & wiring, I’d like to see how that assembles in the cruiser.

Ok, I so need this!

I’ve been dwelling on what to do for seats since I’ve had my rig.

I still really want to do the 2014 Audi seats that a member did, but this option intrigued me.

I’m on the fence with factory seats, due to the plastic worm gear issue.

A good write up of the A/C ducting componets would be fantastic! A must!!

Then I’ll see if braiding that into aftermarket seats is an option.

I liked the photos of what appear to be ducting & wiring, I’d like to see how that assembles in the cruiser.

Here’s a quick video. It glosses over a lot of the little details, but gives you an idea of how it assembles...

I’ll post up the more detailed set of instructions from the manufacturer with close up pics of the actual components, and then any 80 specific steps once we get the install rolling.

What's the working principle?
Cabin floor air, blown upward through the little holes?
Any chilling involved?
Seat bottom only? Or seat back too?

What's the working principle?
Cabin floor air, blown upward through the little holes?
Any chilling involved?
Seat bottom only? Or seat back too?

It uses a fan, ductwork, and a thermoelectric cooler/heater unit to blow cool air into the reticulated foam and out the perforations to your sweaty junk.

The thermoelectric cooler/heater (TED) operates on the Peltier effect (more explanation) to create a cool airstream at the expense of a hot exhaust airstream. This is the same working principal as a Coleman electric cooler. It doesn't get refrigeration "cold", but creates a 10-20 degree temperature differential (making this number up, I feel like I read it somewhere), which makes a huge difference when blown across your skin.

Heating mode reverses the electric current in the TED (thermoelectric device) and blows hot air with a cool exhaust. It pulls more amperage in heat mode, and I believe (based on the fan noise and lack of airflow felt) that it puts out a much lower airflow, the combination of which puts out a much higher temperature differential in heating mode.

upload_2018-8-19_10-49-22.png

Last edited:
It uses a fan, ductwork, and a thermoelectric cooler/heater unit to blow cool air into the reticulated foam and out the perforations to your sweaty junk.

The thermoelectric cooler/heater (TED) operates on the Peltier effect...

Got it. Thanks for explaining.

I found the Katskin webpage too, and they seem to be all about leather, so, I don't suppose...
Any chance of a cloth option?... nah, I bet not. (me - NOT a leather fan)

Man, I am originally from bumper-to-bumper traffic in California. Which really sucked for many reasons but no less a reason than the sun sitting across one’s lap for 6-7 months out of the year during evening’s rush hour traffic. Tinting the front windows got to be a real expensive proposition in any part of the state as well. SO GLAD I am out of California.

This is rad--I dig it. It was only a matter of time I guess.

--It will be sometime before I start trying to rehab the seats so I will simply follow the thread. Might be real handy down the line?

Got it. Thanks for explaining.

I found the Katskin webpage too, and they seem to be all about leather, so, I don't suppose...
Any chance of a cloth option?... nah, I bet not. (me - NOT a leather fan)

The leather is not Katzkin, as they don't support Cruiser models, however this company also does not offer any fabric options. I can do Vegan leather, vinyl, and exotics though :grinpimp:

I’ve got a big project I’m trying to wrap up, so the install is getting pushed to next week.

So no in-progress pics yet, but I can show you more pics of the leather...

Here’s a front seat bottom & back. For maximum ventilation, we’re extending the perforations along the full length of the inserts.

954D9A21-3C4F-4FC2-985D-93986E768DD5.jpeg

Here’s half of the rear seat. These aren’t getting coolers, but are getting perforations to match the fronts.

B9171738-021C-4239-BBF6-C21E9B93D3CA.jpeg

Here’s the back of the rear seats, showing the carpet that is exposed when you fold the seat forward:

D7B307A8-72FA-43D4-95D4-A9AD5FE217D8.jpeg

The color seems a little off in the pics, but here’s the samples laid out against a 40th interior...

5314B12C-59E6-45F2-8CFB-6285B19251C4.jpeg

FE3DFECA-C577-4E9E-B7A1-4699796AE10A.jpeg

It looks even better in person. Any differences in sheen, texture, or angle throw off the color through the camera.

If we ask real nice, can we get a ballpark price? Will there be a 2nd row seat option as well? :) Kids asking and might help fund this project.

If we ask real nice, can we get a ballpark price? Will there be a 2nd row seat option as well? :) Kids asking and might help fund this project.

The seat heater/cooler kit is $350 each at leather seats.com

Since you asked nicely ;)

---> Leather Interiors <--- (www.mosleymotors.com)

The full cost of adding a seat cooler is more than the $350, since the leather kit must be made with the special foam and reticulated leather. There are three components to adding them - leather upholstery, cooler setup, coolers - and I'll break down the prices of each so you can see the full picture.

The cost is $767/$999 for 1/2 rows for the standard kit (uses more vinyl on 2nd & 3rd rows, plus vinyl console & door armrests), or $867/$1125 for the premium kit (gets upgraded to leather console & door armrests, and full face leather on all rows). Two tone kits (such as the 40th color pattern), contrast stitching (like the popular dark brown w/oak stitching), or regular perforated leather incur a small setup charge to the above prices.

Cooler setup is $195, which includes the perforated inserts backed with the reticulated foam. Since this is a major manufacturing operation, you are basically paying for pattern setup, and is the same price whether you are adding coolers to one seat or all three rows.

The coolers themselves are $350 for the 1st cooler, $325 apiece after that. If you are only interested in heated seats, ceramic heating elements are available for $99/seat and do not require any special set up.

All of the prices include shipping in the U.S., as well as excellent communication with a real person (me!), fast service, and order updates as I get them.

Last edited:
The leather is real deal high quality top grain stuff from authentic cows. Since it is from a living creature, it will have irregularities, so they add texture to the surface for a uniform appearance. (vs. Factory leather which has been sanded to a smooth surface).

I bought 1/4 hide for a sample, so I was able to see it without the foam backing...

952BECDB-147E-4D6C-B4B6-9B1CFABA4EFC.jpeg

Interestingly, when I unrolled it, you could see the mirror image of this cow’s brand, which scars all the way through the hide:

0E2DB11F-DEC3-4C26-A5BD-A8106F5CB053.jpeg

Turned over, you can still see it through the texture if you are looking for it:

9D4A5634-272F-4125-8D8A-765C78F31A99.jpeg

Last edited:
Something learned from Top Gear (not the hilux stuff)....Rolls Royce only uses leather from bulls, because cows have stretch marks from birthing.

That is an awesome product!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom