SBC, Taurus e-fan, clearance? long or short water pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got an SBC with a long water pump, with 4" between the stock radiator and the pump. I was looking at putting the Taurus fan in, but I don't have the room. Just wondering if people with the same setup are running the short pump? Looks like my options are to switch to the short pump or run a slim line e-fan. I don't even have the room to remove the crap flex fan and put in a proper fan/clutch.

Ideas?

Sent from Cygnus X1 on the ship Rocinante

If you have an overheating problem and a flex fan, that could be the reason.

The flex fan will go definitely one way or the other.

I need at least an inch more room for the Taurus fan. I can get the inch by swapping to the short pump, of course then ill Ned to reconfig the pully setup. Was wondering what others with the SBC and Taurus fan have for their setup, short pump? Or is my motor just mounted further forward than normal?

You won't like my answer. I had a similar problem. I moved the engine, trans, and transfer case back about 2". Then installed a long pump with all the proper bolt holes for mounting PS pump, altinator etc. A real 7 blade fan with clutch. A lot of work but no heating problems and all the bolt on stuff can be had at any chain auto parts store.

chevurai said:
You won't like my answer. I had a similar problem. I moved the engine, trans, and transfer case back about 2". Then installed a long pump with all the proper bolt holes for mounting PS pump, altinator etc. A real 7 blade fan with clutch. A lot of work but no heating problems and all the bolt on stuff can be had at any chain auto parts store.

Yeah, I kinda figured that would be the answer. Though I think ill try to see if the short pump I have will fit up correctly before I resort to moving the engine ;).
It looks like the short pump will line up with my ps pump, the only thing I would need to move will be the alternator. The short pump should work if not then a 16" dia slim e fan might be the option. There is one on summit that is 2 3/4 thick and blows 2500 CFM .

Short pump and Taurus fan, no problems here.

By all means if you have the short pump give it a try. That set up may work for you. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I've got an SBC with a long water pump, with 4" between the stock radiator and the pump. I was looking at putting the Taurus fan in, but I don't have the room. Just wondering if people with the same setup are running the short pump? Looks like my options are to switch to the short pump or run a slim line e-fan. I don't even have the room to remove the crap flex fan and put in a proper fan/clutch.

After going to the trouble of changing water pump and fan the stock radiator is still going to be marginal. Unless pressed for time/money I'd address it at the same time.

What's the measurement along the frame from rear of shock tower to centerline of SBC motor mount?

I can post a pic of a Taurus fan and short water pump if you like...

Flex fans can work, they don't always. Millions of 350s were installed in trucks with solid blade, steep pitch fans that are activated with a temp controlled clutch or a cintrifical clutch. Very reliable.

Same Issue

I had the EXACT same issue and my 350 was running a little hot. I think my motor is mounted even farther forward than yours because I bought my cruiser with an e-fan mounted in front of the rad cause I had like 3" between the pump and rad. Rather than move the entire drivetrain to the rear, I decided to use a thinner and wider Summit aluminum cross-flow radiator which I mounted as close to the front bib as I could with a custom mount. I found a pretty thin (3.7") e-fan from Be Cool, which is actually made by Spal to my delight, that fits perfect and runs like a champ. I also threw in a high flow pump and 195 thermostat just to make sure. And so far, it runs at about 195-210 in Hawaii.

Do me a favor and send a pic of your belt/pulley config?

This is what mine looks like. Powersteering pump is located
down on the drivers side low.
waterpump.jpg
waterpump3.jpg

I just don't personally trust flex fans, and I dislike the (great deal) of noise they make.

After going to the trouble of changing water pump and fan the stock radiator is still going to be marginal. Unless pressed for time/money I'd address it at the same time.

What's the measurement along the frame from rear of shock tower to centerline of SBC motor mount?

Really? I'd seen on this board that a stock radiator is plenty for an SBC? I honestly don't even know if I have an overheating issue yet. I drove the thing home after buying it, about an hour on the highway @ 60mph. Temp was fine until the very end of the trip when it started slowly climbing. However, there are many factors that could have contributed to this issue. Timing could be wrong (PO said the motor was a 350, when in reality its a 307 and they are timed different). There is a 12k lb winch on the front, and I am unsure as to how much it may be redirecting the airflow up over the radiator at highway speed. There was a flex fan on it, and a very poorly designed shroud. Could be a combination of all those things that caused the temp to climb :meh:

This is what mine looks like. Powersteering pump is located
down on the drivers side low.

That looks exactly like my existing alt bracket with the long water pump.

terxx said:

Ill check that measurement out and get back to you. The one I do know is 21.5" from the inside of the front cross-member to the centerline on the motor mount. I know my drivelines are almost identical in length, the front is slightly longer (SBC, SM420, Advance Adapters plate to stock Tcase)

I have the short pump, which I will check the fit. Actually the short pump should give me about an inch to spare with the Taurus fan, as the short pump is 1 3/8 shorter than the long pump. The issue with the short pump is relocating everything to do with the alternator.

BrianSanDiego said:
I can post a pic of a Taurus fan and short water pump if you like...

IF you have v-belts, and not a serp belt setup, yes it would be very helpful to get a pic of the alternator setup and mounting.

Well here is my setup, but seeing the pics of yours, it sure looks like you could swap out that flex fan for a fan clutch and big fan that fits your fan shroud, and you would be golden. Completely reliable and will pull more air than an E-fan can dream of. ...just my 2cents...

Your current setup here?
landcruiser :: 0_5153_sm.jpg picture by diskord_ - Photobucket

And my setup...
P1010586.jpg

Last edited:
The one I do know is 21.5" from the inside of the front cross-member to the centerline on the motor mount.

That should be enough to use a long water pump and clutch fan. As a point of reference my 40 has the same measurement as you gave - 21.5". The conversion was originally done with an OEM style radiator (dimpled 4 core), long water pump & passenger side alt driven by v-belts. It's got a 7 blade clutch fan cut down to 15.5" diameter which pulls a lot of air. I've since replaced the radiator with a larger aluminum and custom bracket that moved it forward. Currently there's 6" between water pump and radiator fins. Don't remember how much clearance there was with the OEM, but it was enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom