SBC Alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tried searching for this on here and didn’t see anything come up.

Has anyone on here have any experience with the SBC alternators that claim to be a drop in replacement fit to the existing alternator.

SBC 1FZ-FE 180 Amp Alternator

Tried searching for this on here and didn’t see anything come up.

Has anyone on here have any experience with the SBC alternators that claim to be a drop in replacement fit to the existing alternator.

SBC 1FZ-FE 180 Amp Alternator
Wow, their most powerful one will draw up to about 5.5 hp at idle! (if you draw that much load, such as with a winch)
It also makes sense that the pulleys are aluminum at those loads, anything to reduce surface temperatures at those power levels will help.

Might want to mention that SBC is Smart Battery Charger, not small block chevy as is normal.
Just a quick check since I can't find any reviews from them, their website has been around since 2009 so I'd assume they're legitimate as a company at least.
The biggest issue is how utterly generic their name is... any search brings up way too much other stuff to even hope to find them.

This is pretty goofy though:
1631601127382.png

Imagine quadruple 390 amp alternators (220 amps at idle), putting over 20 hp of load on the engine to power some kind of ridiculous sound system or whatever.

I agree, i had fitted ammeters everywhere on my dual battery set up to see what real time current draw was. The highest i saw off the back of the ammeter was 63amps and that was with a 1/2 charged second battery. When the second battery was charged the system rarely pulled 40amps even with headlights, spots and blowers on..I would be spending my money on a better charging solution for the second battery.

The real question is why? More is not always better.
Your 80 amp OEM alternator is more than enough.
Good luck running your hairdryer off of it

I don’t run dual batteries and I want to make sure the alternator is rated high enough for my winching needs. That’s why.

So no one has any experience? I found that some of the Aussies like them on their 80s, I guess I’ll be the first to try it here.

I don’t run dual batteries and I want to make sure the alternator is rated high enough for my winching needs. That’s why.

So no one has any experience? I found that some of the Aussies like them on their 80s, I guess I’ll be the first to try it here.
You don't need dual batteries or a high output alternator to run a winch. The alternator's job is to recharge the battery based on state of charge.
What you want is a really good battery, good connections, and properly rated cables.
A Warn M12K will pull 400 amps at full load. No alternator will supply that.

Last edited:
I think a hand throttle is all that's needed for most winching needs.

Some of the aussies like to do winching competitions with crazy 8274 winches with double motors. Dual batteries association maybe a result of that.

Just my opinions... happy modding.

The biggest advantage you get with that alternator is the power at idle. The alternator uses the hairpin windings. More efficient than the old school delta or tri windings.

I'm running a Tundra modified to hairpin windings. On my alternator load test, I put out 102 amps at 700 rpm and 227 amp at 2500 rpm. I don't need and cant use 200 amps but, I have a trailer. 2 batteries there and 2 in vehicle. "IF" both batteries in trailer are very low (Parked in forest) the max draw from them will be about 40 amps each plus my fridge. If I have one or both in the vehicle low, that can be as high as 160 amps, total max draw from alternator. Now factor in slow off road driving and a normal alternator wont keep up.

The point is, your stock alternator is designed to maintain battery charge and run the vehicle once started, not charge a very low battery. With a stock alternator with an 80 amp output, one low battery driving down the freeway (max output) the alternator is happy and you wont burn out the stator. Add in another low battery and now your running at max output. If your lucky the stator wont burn.

In my case, I don't have a stock vehicle. My electrical system is modded. Stock doesn't cut it. I know the responses I normally get are "I've been running stock for 100 years and I don't have an issue".
Starting in the 70's I have been upgrading alternators to match my needs. In the shop, I had seen enough burned stators with 60 amp alternators. The customer jump started the vehicle then hit the highway. Alternator hit close to max output for too long and fried the stator.

So, does the alternator fit your needs? If so look into it. I would suggest you research hairpin alternators. The prices have come way down. Something in the 120 -150 would rock for us if it bolted in. I wasn't able to find a well priced direct bolt in. The Tundra Alternator I bought, I think was under $350 when I bought it 2 years ago, plus the conversion. The 220 amp was the lowest output and the most reasonable. I found the same alternator as high as $1200 dollars.

I'm very happy with my 150 amp Sequoia alternator and Photoman's bracket and smaller pulley. Extremely stable voltage with no dimming at idle. There are only two negatives: 1) it's a bit harder to get the belts on and off and 2) the supplied fasteners aren't JIS which was so upsetting that I nearly spilled my pumpkin spice latte.

I bought the alternator for ~$40 from a local parts yard and rebuilt it myself, which was a fun experience. Had to pull it a second time to replace the regulator with a Korean-made unit off of eBay, which has worked flawlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom