SAS SAS #6 Official Thread Aug 1 - 5 2022 (2 Viewers)

SAS #6 Colors for Shirts and Trail Flags

• • Capri Blue

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • • Sky Blue

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • • Pollux Orange

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • • Spring Green

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • • Yellow / Mustard

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • • Freeborn Red

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • • Rustic Green

Votes: 21 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oops. Double post

Last edited:
Well 6 days straight working till midnight in preparation and I'm throwing in the towel on driving my 60. My wife and kids decided to join a couple of weeks ago (instead of originally bring a solo trip driving my 70 series) and I've been working night and day to build my camper up for accommodations for the four of us. I had a small punch list I was going to knock out on the 60 and just couldn't get to it. Just finished the camper a few minutes ago though. I'll be in my 100 and unfortunately it doesn't have a solid front axle so hopefully y'all won't kick me out of camp. Building a camper is alot lot building a house and a car in one task. Ive done electrical, plumbing, woodworking, welding, and everything in between. This thing was literally a hollow shell with no electrical or anything couple weeks ago. I wired it inside and out, installed a stove, porch light, furnace, fridge, battery, hardwood counter, faucet, plumbing and water pump, built bunk beds, installed a headliner, vinyl plank flooring, powdered wheels, built a receiver hitch, spare tire carrier and front glass rock guard along with a million other things.

View attachment 3070993View attachment 3070996View attachment 3070998View attachment 3070999View attachment 3071000
I hear ya. There's been way too many midnight and 3 am days in the past 2 weeks for me. It's exhausting. Finally got the wiring and ecu tucked away and off the passengers seat last night and this AM my AC isn't working. There's been some noise from that area, may have a dead compressor.. would have been a lot easier to get at it when I had that cyl head off a week ago. Better now I guess than 6 hours into the drive..

I tell ya, things were simpler and easier the first 2 years when we rolled out in more or less stock truck 😆.

I've still gotta get a trailer plug wired in, change the oil again, double check bolts, address whatever my AC issue is, hook up the 4wd vacuum stuff and pack

Regarding AC - assuming my compressor took a dump, there was some noise down there..
(sorry tech stuff - but if I can't get AC working again I can't take the 62 - and I know there are some smart folks watching this thread closely about now) - they've got a new compressor in town, but I'm curious - who is successfully using an HU6 compressor with everything else Toyota? Is there something I'm not seeing that makes it die with swap setups? I've read they're variable diaplacement, their garbage, etc. Seems most people have the fixed displacement Denso 10S compressor. Apparently the were both used in Silverados rather indiscriminately. I also don't know if the brackets are the same - i.e. can I just get the Denso and bolt it on and have a better compressor, or..? (I do have the hose connections covered).
delphi-vs-denso1-300x300.jpg

I hear ya. There's been way too many midnight and 3 am days in the past 2 weeks for me. It's exhausting. Finally got the wiring and ecu tucked away and off the passengers seat last night and this AM my AC isn't working. There's been some noise from that area, may have a dead compressor.. would have been a lot easier to get at it when I had that cyl head off a week ago. Better now I guess than 6 hours into the drive..

I tell ya, things were simpler and easier the first 2 years when we rolled out in more or less stock truck 😆.

I've still gotta get a trailer plug wired in, change the oil again, double check bolts, address whatever my AC issue is, hook up the 4wd vacuum stuff and pack

I know exactly what you mean. All mine has been juggled with school finals and work while only getting a few hours of sleep every night. I was at the beach last week (solely for the family's enjoyment since I despise the place) anxiously twirling my fingers and ordering parts to finish the camper. I had a really small punch list on the 60 I wanted to knock out but I literally never even got a chance to touch it.
20220728_123250.jpg

No worries Roma, you haven't been able to make it since year 2. Bringing the family and hanging out is more important than missing one lug per wheel. Looking forward to seeing you brother. Safe travels.
Casey ironically enough my COA #1 was driving my 70 series from Yuma which checks the box for a solid front axle but still only 5 lugs.

Last edited:
FYI: Our KOA spot is booked Sunday night through Saturday night but we aren't arriving until Wednesday afternoon. If it's helpful to somebody you can have our spot Sunday night through Tuesday night. I'm not sure where you'd go after that, but hey - I figured I'd offer it up! I was told we're spot #46 but that they can change it at any time (because of the "new owners"). PM me if interested.

@CruiserTrash If I can crash in your spot Sunday night that would be rad! I am sure this will all work itself out, depending on the new "owners" and whether we can share spots or not. New owners of the KOA, if you read this, we love you and thank you for hosting all of us.

Thank you for the sharing suggestion @John McVicker - I'll just see how it goes when I arrive Sunday and whats available. Worst case, I go find a mountain to sleep on for a night.

Many thanks!
Kristian

Just a heads up - I'm seeing some trail closures due to mud & rock slides or washouts with more heavy rain expected. CR361 Camp Bird rd (access to Imogene & Yankee Boy Basin from Ouray side) is closed through the weekend at least.

Keep an eye on the Ouray county (Road & Bridge | Ouray County, CO - Official Website - https://ouraycountyco.gov/151/Road-Bridge) and San Miguel county (Road Conditions | San Miguel County, CO - Official Website - https://www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov/406/Road-Conditions) websites.

Just a heads up - I'm seeing some trail closures due to mud & rock slides or washouts with more heavy rain expected. CR361 Camp Bird rd (access to Imogene & Yankee Boy Basin from Ouray side) is closed through the weekend at least.

Keep an eye on the Ouray county (Road & Bridge | Ouray County, CO - Official Website - https://ouraycountyco.gov/151/Road-Bridge) and San Miguel county (Road Conditions | San Miguel County, CO - Official Website - https://www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov/406/Road-Conditions) websites.
SHHHHHH.... Im going to get accused of stirring the s*** pot again.

S.A.S. = Swamped to the Axle Summit

I don't care if we only have one trail and sit in camp half the week. I'm ready to go.

Heat, humidity, work. A reprieve is needed.

I don't care if we only have one trail and sit in camp half the week. I'm ready to go.

It's this or use my vacation time to see family in Ohio.... not really a hard choice on which one I would rather do.

Recovery gear. Check.

A9258E0A-6BD4-4A60-A466-0612D8E39260.jpeg

8AD4B400-B16B-4EE7-8454-DA863ECCCE8B.jpeg

Yea, there are plenty of other trails around there - just a head's up is all. I'm not going - just thought of you guys when I saw this.

Nothing like last minute. Had issues with 4 lo. Transfer case isn’t shifting quite right and issues with a hub but getting better. Might have to shift it into 4wd and leave it, using hubs to lock and unlock while there but good enough!
Went for a woods test ride
5F49B230-7616-48ED-805D-1906EE8FFFDB.jpeg

I won’t make it in person but know that I’m there in spirit. Check out my new camping setup. 😉

A1B5AD74-ACA3-4807-9543-72695BC78C3F.jpeg
95C4B200-C25E-4662-A951-66ADE096CB92.jpeg

Leaving in the morning. Spent about 10 hours prepping the truck and had a fellow 60 Series owner come help me get the sliders off my red truck and onto my blue truck tonight. I’m calling her done. Now to pack clothes and camp gear…

1008CD12-15AD-4DA9-B041-1B034323F5D1.jpeg

I've got trailer lights and working AC now ($400 of new compressor and more R134a later). No way we can leave tomorrow though. Still need to pack. Looks like it will be saturday morning departure, assuming the AC passes muster on tomorrows commute. Tools and a bunch of camp stuff is loaded up.
20220728_234134.jpg

Good morning SAS folks.
Looks like we will have a wet year so pack a raincoat and be prepared for road delays from mud slides.
That being said, the few trails that are currently affected are being worked on.
There are many options for exploring in the San Juan's and we will have suggestions for alternatives if our usual runs are affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom