Builds Salt wagon My first fj40 (build) (38 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought they were, but I just looked in the ‘65 parts book and don’t see it. So maybe not. But still a cool piece I’ve seen on a few rigs. I think Ken @KT40 and/or Mark @cppilot were looking into getting these replicated over in the 45 section. Brian @whitey45 or Mark @65swb45 might know if factory (@Living in the Past also).

I just did the same. Not in the parts book. Mine also doesn't have one...

I doubt it's anything but an aftermarket replacement. OEM would match the driver's door. Pull it and guessing you will see the index slit to keep the switch from rotating. When I bought my 68 in 1974 a PO had replaced the ignition switch with another OEM switch. Lucky for my the old switch was in the glovebox. Switched the lock barrel and back to original keys working on front driver's door, back hatch and ignition working from one key.

Mine has one with original switch. This has been discussed before. I thought it was determined OEM. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

20230720_194409.jpg

Last edited:
Genuine Toyota, so OEM, though not OE that I’ve ever seen. I just recently sent off an NOS one that will be repop-ed. Stay tuned.😊

Last edited:
Mine has one with original switch. This has been discussed before. I thought it was determined OEM. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

View attachment 3378912
Genuine Toyota, so OEM, though not OE that I’ve ever seen. I just recently sent off an NOS one that will be repop-ed. Stay tuned.😊
sounds like its at least cool to have. I honestly was going to throw it away after I replaced the switch. Glad I posted a picture!

I am exited as I purchased an early ignition cylinder along with a set of keys! It will be nice to get rid of the current one that I believe is a replacement. the key also looks like from a pad lock haha. I also purchased the little grommet for the license plate light wiring. Ill post some pictures when that stuff comes in. I keep delaying my soft top purchase due to unexpected bills. (such as life) I should be able to soon though.

Picture below is what is currently installed.

View attachment 3378713

I don't know what all those keys are for, but I strongly recommend getting them off your key ring.

That amount of weight will wear your cylinder out prematurely.

Headliner has not come in yet but I did finally finish the passenger side step. After I was done It looked like I jumped in a pool I was so covered in sweat. But I think It looks good. Degreased it and rust converted what I could. I wanted to keep as much patina as I could. pardon the grease finger prints all over it. Ill wash that off soon.

IMG_3592.JPG

I am also very excited for my Early dash ignition switch order from @ToyotaMatt

Last edited:
Look at this crazy toyota camper that pulled up in the parking lot at work. I wish that lift was finished/ looks like it would be pretty cool to convert it to 4x4. still early trucks like this still running are pretty cool!

He drove off before I got a chance to talk to him but maybe he is on Mud? He took quite a few pics of my fj40

IMG_3616.JPG
IMG_3615.JPG

Look at this crazy toyota camper that pulled up in the parking lot at work. I wish that lift was finished/ looks like it would be pretty cool to convert it to 4x4. still early trucks like this still running are pretty cool!

He drove off before I got a chance to talk to him but maybe he is on Mud? He took quite a few pics of my fj40

View attachment 3385056View attachment 3385058

My family still owns a running/driving 1981 Chinook. I think my nephew has it and is refurbishing the camper. The truck itself still runs fine with minimal maintenance over the years.

My family still owns a running/driving 1981 Chinook. I think my nephew has it and is refurbishing the camper. The truck itself still runs fine with minimal maintenance over the years.
Thats pretty cool! Yeah I could not remember the model these were called. I know they had the dolphin and Chinook but I feel like there were. a few more. Super cool! I love those early truck engines though. The 20R is a fantastic little guy. I have been off and on just looking for a 2wd truck like a 78

Thats pretty cool! Yeah I could not remember the model these were called. I know they had the dolphin and Chinook but I feel like there were. a few more. Super cool! I love those early truck engines though. The 20R is a fantastic little guy. I have been off and on just looking for a 2wd truck like a 78
The one in the picture is one step down from the Chinook.

Just googled the names and they were Dolphin, Chinook, Sunrader Winnebago, Odyssey, Itasca.

Edited to add: The one you pictured was actually a different year Chinook.
They are pretty cool vehicles. I would love to convert a chinook to 4x4. Should not actually be that crazy hard. would be an ultimate adventure vehicle. (other than an fj40 of course)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom