Builds Salt wagon My first fj40 (build) (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tore apart my center arm today to get it ready to rebuild. I almost lost the little keys for it. they flung out when I got it apart. Luckily I found them. I also painted the main 3 parts with rostolium enamel paint. I am sure there is better paint but thats what I had laying around. also using my new drill press as a work table. the center pin looked to be in good shape. Additionally I received in the mail today the first of many purchases from dobinsons. I bought a steering dampener from them. I hope to completely replace the suspension with dobinsons stuff soon.
IMG_3081.JPG
IMG_3086.JPG
IMG_3082.JPG
IMG_3087.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG

Last edited:
Yesterday was my birthday and I got a new fj45 land cruiser guys!
70774152338__07A9854C-5FED-4B8F-96E9-A34A39320A18.JPG

This thing is epic! when I get home Ill send some more pictures, but it has real leaf springs, a 2 speed transfer case, real ring and pinion front and rear axels, drive shafts, ubolts holding the axels on! its like a real 4x4. Unfortunately its a 1/12th scale RC car. But this will be fun play around with at the beach for sure.

I got a few afternoon projects accomplished. I got my center arm all put back together and I have my drag link end rebuilt. the draglink end was way easier than I thought it would be. the hardest part was getting the last "cup" out of the drag-link end. the grease was creating a suction making it hard to get out. I got this kit from @cruiseroutfit
IMG_3100.JPG
IMG_3102.JPG

The center arm was pretty easy. the hardest part was hamering out the races to replace with new races. The kit from @cruiseroutfit seemed to be pretty perfect. Looking at the internals, I dont think I needed to rebuild it. but I am happy I did. Unfortunutly I did not take many rebuilding photos. I pretty much followed this mud members method. Center Arm Rebuild - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/center-arm-rebuild.245388/
IMG_3103.JPG
IMG_3106.JPG

cotter pin. Just sayin'...

You're batting at all-star levels for old rig restoration functionality! That surf shop building is totally tripendicular. Wished I surfed, I'd be out there in a flash, outer banks, ocean, ... 🤟 But being an old fart someone would try and throw me back in to "save the beached whale" 😄 .

I need to get to my shop, I have a steering column from the early side-shifter tranny days, not sure if I still have that shift arm pivot though, I'll check.

Last edited:
cotter pin. Just sayin'...

You're batting at all-star levels for old rig restoration functionality! That surf shop building is totally tripendicular. Wished I surfed, I'd be out there in a flash, outer banks, ocean, ... 🤟 But being an old fart someone would try and throw me back in to "save the beached whale" 😄 .

I need to get to my shop, I have a steering column from the early side-shifter tranny days, not sure if I still have that shift arm pivot though, I'll check.
I have cotter pins don't worry :). I was not going to install it until I attach it to the pitman arm. I was unsure if I was going to need to loosen the back cap thing to put it all together. the center arm still needs the pins too.

Haha thanks! I really like originality and its kinda fun for me putting it all back together. like the feeling when you finish a hard puzzle. Eventually I would like this fj40 to be as close to original as I can get it.

That would be wonderful if you had that shift arm pivot. you could always try surfing! my summer job when I am not teaching is running a kayak stand/surfcamp and surf lessons. I am sure I could get you on a wave!.

Sorry, no go on that part here. I must of not got one with the replacement top shifter parts, so I had to use the one I had. GL finding one.

Some annoing news. the hunt for a inline 6 toyota engine continues. I could never get the guy back on the phone that had the 2f for sale near me. He seemed a little untrustworthy anyway.

I have a lead on a turn key 1f running complete here local. But add a zero to your price you posted on the one earlier.

It was pulled for a diesel swap.

If it was half the price I’d probably own it. But I don’t. 😂

I have a lead on a turn key 1f running complete here local. But add a zero to your price you posted on the one earlier.

It was pulled for a diesel swap.

If it was half the price I’d probably own it. But I don’t. 😂
I am hoping one will pop up locally but they are few and far between. Most that pop up are worn out 3fe engines. witch if I could make a 3fe work and keep my 3 speed vacumm actuated tcase I might do that. I have not done the research though.

Thats not a terrible price. if you have pictures let me know. 1500 is not terrible. Shipping will make it a bunch though. I think there is a rebuilt one I saw in Tennessee but I think they want 4,000 for it. I am sure its worth that if its been rebuilt. I just dont have the 4k to give right now.

Not alot done today. but I did replace my drivers door regulator. The old one started getting super loose and hard to use at the same time. Not sure if thats somthing that can be fixed but a new one works too. Any body know where to get a good door screw/hardware kit? I am missing a few and the rest are worn out from using an impact screwdriver when I took apart the door to replace all the felts and rubber weatherstripping.

IMG_3131.JPG

I also finally got my racks on the 40. just some basic yakima ones but at least I dont have to hang the surfboards out the back when I go to the beach.
IMG_3129.JPG

Last edited:
Not alot done today. but I did replace my drivers door regulator. The old one started getting super loose and hard to use at the same time. Not sure if thats somthing that can be fixed but a new one works too. Any body know where to get a good door screw/hardware kit? I am missing a few and the rest are worn out from using an impact screwdriver when I took apart the door to replace all the felts and rubber weatherstripping.

View attachment 3345840

I also finally got my racks on the 40. just some basic yakima ones but at least I dont have to hang the surfboards out the back when I go to the beach.
View attachment 3345877
Overland Metric.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom