Center Arm Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for any help on rebuilding my center arm on my 64 FJ40. The Haynes manual explodes the later style and the Toyota repair manual doesn't get too detailed. I have pressed in the races and that's it so far. Any idea's as to o-ring placement and which felt to use?
DSC02246.jpg

It's a pita is what I remember. It's tough to get the key in and have the shaft in the truck. I don't remember details but I'd just look at the pic. It looks like you have a pic of the later center arm. I can try and scan my early one or the one from the parts book later today for you. I don't remember an o ring on the early arms. The later ones do.

It is a SOR kit, and they were useless when I called for directions. When I took the original apart I didn't find hide nor hair of an o-ring or the felt dust seals.

Great help! I'm starting on it this morning. I'll post the assembly time and pic at completion. Any bets...What manual did that come from?

I haven't started this yet, but I am looking at this thread intently, so please post as many pictures as you can...I may rebuild mine over the winter. :beer:

I rebuilt mine about a year and a half ago...I was having the automatic lane change issue. Turns out there wer 3 extra woodruff keys floating around inside(only suppose to have 2 if I remember right). I did use the spector kit and also did not find a place or use for the o ring. I think i remember Spector tech supp telling me it was used in a later model. It was trick to figure out how it all initially went together...Hardest part was getting the woodruff keys to stay in place while slipping things together. Wish I was more help on this but it was a while ago. All I remember is that after fidling with it for about 20 mins with the manual. I knew it inside and out at the time. Not too hard to figure. Sure was nice to have the steering issue corected by this rebuild. If you guys havent ever rebuilt yours...chances are you need to. They were designed to wear out(taking the impact of the offroad steering abuse).

I will post my step by step process ASAP (with pics). It ended up taking me about and hour and fifteen installed in the truck. The easiest way to keep the woodruff keys in place is by sticking grease on one side then placing in the shaft. The grease acts like glue. Then gently slide on the other bushing.

My apologies to "My Wife said no FJ" for the delay in the pics. But here we are...
As I stated earlier in this post it is easier to grease the woodruff keys and then "stick" them to the center arm shaft. After greasing the various parts I put everything together loosely then installed the arm on the truck. As you tighten everything down slowly stuff the felt dust seals in the covers until seated. If you purchased the SOR kit I would cut the big/top dust shield in half. Half has a hard enough time fitting. Like I said it took me about an hour to and hour and fifteen installed in the truck including the stabilizer, and I am not the most mechanicaly inclined (see last pic). Hope this helps anyone about to tackle a rebuild. If you have any questions post'em.:clap:More pics to follow!
DSC02373.jpg
DSC02374.jpg
DSC02375.jpg

Is there a way to attach more than three pics at a time?:confused:
DSC02376.jpg
DSC02377.jpg
DSC02378.jpg

I have pics for every part installed. Patience is a virtue...one I don't f**king have!:mad:
DSC02379.jpg
DSC02380.jpg
DSC02381.jpg

I really need to find out how to write posts better! And watch my head while under the truck... Shackle + Head = Big Bump (jackass)
DSC02389.jpg
DSC02390.jpg
DSC02391.jpg

Sorry about that bump...but thanks for the great picts :cheers:Now I can't wait to do mine :bounce::bounce:

got the entire lower section off, but has anyone ever had an issue getting the shaft out of the top riveted housing?

got the entire lower section off, but has anyone ever had an issue getting the shaft out of the top riveted housing?

Yes they don't come out easy. I install something hard like a jack stand underneath that area in the frame. Then used a brass punch to drive it out.

I think the dust seals (felt rings) are reversed in the pictures above. The thicker dust seal goes around the spring on the bottom and the thinner white one goes on top.

3 years later I know...

IMG_6398.jpg

IMG_6399.jpg

IMG_6423.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom