S.O.S: Anyone wanna help me finish rebuild my 2f? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beehanger

SILVER Star
Threads
Orange County/ LA Cruiser heads and beyond,

Got my self in a pickle, and no not dill or bread and butter or any of the fun kinds like that. This is the kind of pickle that is shoved into your intake manifold and sucked into your engine, with no good way of getting it out short of a full engine rebuild. 🤣!Long story short this rebuild isn't going to planned, with a shop taking far too long, and me starting to really like the idea of doing it myself.

Here's two posts for reference on the project, the second ones a lot of history on me and the cruiser and the long, hilarious tale of getting it and driving it half working back to Idaho in a blizzard, huffing exhuast fumes the entire time:

So this is where I'm at after starting in October, with a bad rod knock (from the free spirited pickle of course) leading me to an engine rebuild. Shipped the truck off to the mechanic and its been there ever since with a machine shop taking forever, my fj60 has been without its heart, and I've had enough of a wait because its my only car. It's time to find a solution and eat the pickle, grease and all. Machine work is done on the 2F but to save time and money I need to complete this rebuild or replace it with a used 2f. they're still multiple months out. I'm being honest with myself by realizing I cannot tackle this alone: I dont have that many tools/ mechanical experience. Im 24, out of college and hungry for a project before I really focus hard on a career of sorts, and really don't like the idea of putting a different engine in. I know what Im up against-- Its one ugly f***ed up pickle for sure, but I don't want to give up, but I think I could get all the parts back from the shop and fix her. I bought the truck to work on it and this is the only way I see fit to preserve my honor. Im sure it would be fun too, I am up for the challenge but know when im biting off more pickle than I can chew .Im told with full focus a rebuild can be done in a few days-week, especially with a buddy, just a matter of finding a buddy.

So basically shooting in the dark seeing if anyone wants to help, I have no idea what to expect in terms of response, if any, just shooting my flare up into the sky.

Best Regards,
Daniel

IMG_6190.JPG

IMG_6192.JPG

IMG_6191.JPG

Hi Daniel,

That 2nd pair of hands really is only needed one day on engine install day when the engine gets installed back into the engine bay with a engine hoist. That 2nd pair of hands don’t necessarily need to be connected to a experienced helper either.
An inexperienced teenager neighbor is fine or anybody who can man the engine hoist.

On engine install day, typically one guy mans the hoist, and another aligns the engine to fit it into the mounts. It can be really easy if you’re working on a flat concrete surface which allows the hoist to roll easily.
Engine just lowers right in with no struggling.

Once the engine has been set in its 3 mounts, you’re done with your helper. Everything else from then on can easily be worked on by one person. A 2nd person would just be in the way.

So I think your project challenge isn’t really finding another unskilled helper for a weekend afternoon but the uncertainty you may have as to what to do next and how to do stuff.

Luckily — there’s several people here on this forum who would be enthusiastic in providing you with guidance as you put your cruiser back together. We’d all gain satisfaction seeing it finally finished one day and you taking it on its first drive.

1. You’ve got the enthusiasm and energy. That’s really important.
2. We’ve got the experience and knowledge
3. And your afternoon helper has got another pair of arms.

I don’t see a problem with this. If you can change a tire or change the engine oil — you can put an engine back into your cruiser.
All you need is some guidance- and we can help you with that.

If you have time and persistence the worst thing that could happen is you screw up and have to do something over. Get a shop manual, ask for help on MUD if you have questions and do the work yourself. A set of Harbor Freight or Craftsman tools are about $100, that's all you need. Many auto parts stores will loan you specialty tools.

If you just want someone to do the work for you, it's probably not going to happen. I've had a couple of young men ask me for help repairing their cars, they didn't want help, they wanted me to do the job for them. I'd be the guy on the engine hoist, not the guy laying under the car.

I believe @OSS is pretty much spot on. Just get after it.

You need a clean place to work, an engine hoist, the FSM, maybe $200 worth of tools and at times an xtra pair of hands. It might be intimidating but if you can follow the directions in the FSM it is not that hard.

Really glad I made this post. getting a lot of great info from you guys, thanks million. Finding a place to sublet down there for a month right now, think I just found another pair of hands/roommate who also likes cruisers. Gunna do some planning and research now and "get after it".
and @OSS to clarify, im doing the rebuild myself and the only thing thats been done is the machine work, not reassembly. I was mainly talking about a helper for the sake of someone double checking I don't put something in incorrectly, but I guess youre right that people on here can help. Ill have to oversee myself, a good skill to develop im sure..

Calling mechanic today to see what parts need to be ordered. Is two weeks enough lead time for the new pistons etc?

Daniel

The correct size pistons were difficult & time consuming for me to locate. Find out what size you need & begin the hunt now…like tomorrow, Tuesday. If you are still on good terms with your machinist he will probably be able to get them quickee/easier than you scrounging around.

The correct size pistons were difficult & time consuming for me to locate. Find out what size you need & begin the hunt now…like tomorrow, Tuesday. If you are still on good terms with your machinist he will probably be able to get them quickee/easier than you scrounging around.
I thought toyota still made 2f pistons, or are they just hard to come by?

Dan

Not sure, but if they do it would likely be standard size and depending on what your machinist did you will need oversized pistons. Ask if he can help in locating what you need.

John is correct. You need to know what the machinist did in order to order pistons and bearings. I'm not sure all the options below are still available from Toyota, but you can see there are four different options for pistons. Typically a machinist will machine to the smallest oversize that adequately cleans up the cylinder bore. You would then purchase rings to fit the pistons. Crank journal and rod bearing should match the work done to those surfaces. If you don't have the machinist order the parts then you should get a detailed description what he did. You may also want to measure the as-found surfaces if he did not. During assembly, you can confirm bearing clearances using plastigage, but by that time you have already purchased the bearings...

1657636356465.png

1657636421688.png

Last edited:
Drag all your Sh*t to Calhoun. I'll help you put it together and installed.
:beer: ✌️

If there are no toyota pistons available you can still get pistons but will need to know some info in order to have a set made up. Several piston manufacturers out there who do custom pistons...I'd wager price would be around $1000 for a set of 6 pistons with rings and pins.

Drag all your Sh*t to Calhoun. I'll help you put it together and installed.
:beer: ✌️
Wish I were closer! Truck is in LA, not sure how I would get it there.

Thanks

Daniel

Last edited:
If there are no toyota pistons available you can still get pistons but will need to know some info in order to have a set made up. Several piston manufacturers out there who do custom pistons...I'd wager price would be around $1000 for a set of 6 pistons with rings and pins.
Do you think I can figure this whole rebuild thing out myself Seth? Also have a guy with a 2f from an fj40 he'd sell me for 1800, could install that as well and sell rebuilt engine ones machinist finished it. Whole reason for this post was to find someone to kind of guide me through it since im 1-2 banana..
Also wondering how much more the rebuild will run me vs the other engine (170k) miles. One option is probably a lot easier than the other one, and my budget to get the truck running and going with axle rebuild, Carb rebuild, engine, everything else in between is like $4500. May just come down to money and not being able to find someone who can help.

Best,
Dan

My two pennies. . . when the original engine in my '87 began to lose power / blow-by, had a sparkplug detonate / get eaten I began researching a rebuild strategy which was gonna leave me out of vehicle for close to a month. A donor/ blessing engine came via the grapevine (thanks @Winslow) and after eleven days of getting after it, the replacement was in and is still going strong, while the original has been mostly bagged and tagged in hibernation for a rebuild. . .
You might be best set to get that 170k engine in and then consider next steps. If you were in Idaho I would be tempted to help you with the rebuild as a learning / helping exercise. Complete gasket kits and seals were over 500$ last I checked.

My two pennies. . . when the original engine in my '87 began to lose power / blow-by, had a sparkplug detonate / get eaten I began researching a rebuild strategy which was gonna leave me out of vehicle for close to a month. A donor/ blessing engine came via the grapevine (thanks @Winslow) and after eleven days of getting after it, the replacement was in and is still going strong, while the original has been mostly bagged and tagged in hibernation for a rebuild. . .
You might be best set to get that 170k engine in and then consider next steps. If you were in Idaho I would be tempted to help you with the rebuild as a learning / helping exercise. Complete gasket kits and seals were over 500$ last I checked.
Gotcha, yes this makes sense, but from a budget / just do it the right way standpoint a rebuild might help. If you’re open to helping I could ship the machined engine to id. I’m in SV and hagerman, no pressure tho

Do you think I can figure this whole rebuild thing out myself Seth? Also have a guy with a 2f from an fj40 he'd sell me for 1800, could install that as well and sell rebuilt engine ones machinist finished it. Whole reason for this post was to find someone to kind of guide me through it since im 1-2 banana..
Also wondering how much more the rebuild will run me vs the other engine (170k) miles. One option is probably a lot easier than the other one, and my budget to get the truck running and going with axle rebuild, Carb rebuild, engine, everything else in between is like $4500. May just come down to money and not being able to find someone who can help.

Best,
Dan
If all the machine work is done then it’s just careful reassembly. Follow the factory service manual, ask questions, be patient. If you get frustrated put things down and walk away. Maybe wait 24 hours. It’s not so hard to do but it takes time.

Best,
Dan

What year FJ40? If the 2F is earlier than 1979 (or maybe 1978) the block will not be tapped for a power steering pump.

Came up with this plan:
My new buddy here happens to know how to rebuild engine and has worked at a machine shop, said he would help. His uncle is a machinist and does it on his free time as a hobby so he would do the machine work (machine work not done/even started according to shop SMH) . Gunna drive down to la in my dads pickup and load the engine in the bed, tied down, maybe on a spare tire with the fj60 in tow using a haul dolley that has the rear wheels still on the road (might have to unhook the driveshaft though). Would have to load all of the engine bay parts and tranny in the back of the Lc unless people see a better way. All of this is 800 bucks gas included to do it this way. The alternative is paying 2grand to ship it with a company, who may or may not do a good job with all the details so leaning option 1. I Would have to buy a $50 cherry picker to get the engine out and into my dads condo garage, Lc will sit in drive way until install. 26 hour round trip drive from Idaho to LA and back, hoping to do it in 2 and a half days this weekend. Haven’t found a reason not to do it yet

Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom