S-O-R bumper/tire carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at the rear bumper from spector that has the big tire carrier on it that can hold a cooler, 2 gas cans, a jack, shovel, and an axe. I was wondering if anyone knows how good this product is. It is a lot of money and I dont want to spend it and have it be a POS. Thanks

look around maybe even someone in here can build you one cheaper? they are very pricey so i built me a bumper that i wanted for 75 bucks

I know that building it yourself is cheaper, I byulit my front bumper for $80. I am just looking around, It would definetly be faster to order one though, and it would be fine the first time i try it, lol. instead of experimenting with ideas that might not work.

IIRC the SOR bumper hangs lower than the rear frame crossmember, reducing rear-end clearance (in order to allow use of stock taillights). Also I believe the materials used seem a bit thin.

Man-A-Fre sells a couple different designs that might work for you. And while I personally would rather order from SOR any day, MAF bumper designs do seem better. I believe they're made by a 3rd party - Renegade Fab??

Anyway, FWIW, I would shop around.

SOR's is made by Wilderness. I saw it for a Heep at the Pomona offroad show. It did not swing real well with a heavy tire.
MAF's looks more stout. There are also a number of fabricators making them as well such as Deckers Hot showers (he also fabricates), Luke at 4x4 labs etc. You could also check with any of the TLCA, IH8MUD or Pirate, Landcrusier sponsers and they could probably set you up.

i've got the man-a-fre tire/jerry can carrier and it's REALLY stout. I love it, make sure you got some help moving it when it gets there cause it weighs a ton.

flounder said:
i've got the man-a-fre tire/jerry can carrier and it's REALLY stout. I love it, make sure you got some help moving it when it gets there cause it weighs a ton.

Flounder...Does it attach right to the rear crossmember? Any frame attachments?

the maf doesnt look to bad. and they have alot of options to choose from

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/towbumper.htm

That's the new version of the one I have. It mounts right to the rear crossmember, no frame attachments. I had to drill some extra holes but it fits great. It's a beast, I think you'll be very happy. If you want pics, I can take and send you some.

I have the MAF 4+ bumper/carrier on my FJ40. It is super stout, and weighs enough that 2 guys helped me mount it (Norcal Doug and dclee on this forum). My only complaint is that it doesn't protect the tail lights at all, otherwise it's been great. The swing outs are nice, and the basket is sized for 3 fuel cans. I bought it for Dusy-Ershim where all that fuel is a must.

http://man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/towbumperHDtirecoolercarrierFJ404Plus.htm

One of my other friends has SOR's rack on his FJ40. It's actually pretty stout but hangs down too far in the back and he constantly gets hung up on it. Not the best design for a SUA FJ40.

The best I have seen BY FAR is the one made by Luke Porter at 4x4 Labs. If an FJ40 bumper can be elegant, his is. I wish I hadn't needed one at the last minute and could have waited for Luke's. Tien Do (I think he goes by Mustard Cruiser?) has one of Luke's-you could PM him for some pictures.

Flounder or drew...How far away from the body is the tire carrier? I'm guessing it doesn't flex or anything.

It doesn't flex a bit. The 4+ bumper carrier is a rock. The mount for the wheel is adjustable, and I have it set as close as possible. It's pricy, but good stuff. The pic should give you an idea where the tire sits. I'm parked in the picture at the North Shore of Lake Tahoe after a week on the Rubicon Trail. I had run the trail backwards and forwards and was pretty battered and dusty in this pic.
Rack1.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of Man-A-Fre, however I've bought a bunch of stuff from them over the years. But, I have their 4+ swingout tire carrier with 3 Jerry can carrier as shown above and it's the single best addition I've made to my FJ40. It attaches to the frame and not the sheetmetal. It's pretty expensive for what it is, but I'd buy another one if I had another 40. If it has a flaw, it's that it weighs close to 300 lbs before you put a tire on it. Add a 33X12.50 on there and it's like having Refrigerator Perry standing on the bumper. You're springs are gonna sag faster than normal.

Steve-O said:
In case anyone is interested, all of the 4+ rear bumpers for the FJ40 are on sale right now. You can see right at the top of the main page. Thanks.

MAN-A-FRE

Steve-O Any word on the 4+ 60 series bumper? Your page says it's being redesigned and I would like to see it, although I am leaning strongly towards one from 4x4 Labs. I like the one I have on my 40, but when you redesign, it needs some tail light protection. I will volunteer to be your test subject!

Regarding the 300 lbs quoted above, no way it's that heavy. Maybe 125 pounds or so. Still the point is correct that the bumper plus a 35 inch spare is a load, add 3 full fuel cans and you have added some serious weight to the rear of your cruiser. I have custom rear springs from Alcan with the load of that bumper figured in, and still I wish they were beefier.

Last edited:
Cruiserdrew said:
Steve-O Any word on the 4+ 60 series bumper? Your page says it's being redesigned and I would like to see it, although I am leaning strongly towards one from 4x4 Labs. I like the one I have on my 40, but when you redesign, it needs some tail light protection. I will volunteer to be your test subject!

Regarding the 300 lbs quoted above, no way it's that heavy. Maybe 125 pounds or so. Still the point is correct that the bumper plus a 35 inch spare is a load, add 3 full fuel cans and you have added some serious weight to the rear of your cruiser. I have custom rear springs from Alcan with the load of that bumper figured in, and still I wish they were beefier.

I am not quite sure how he got 300 lbs. The MAF-1045 is 170 and the MAF-1046 is about 185. When you add a tire and fuel, it definatley goes up, but we look at is as rather having extra protection than weight. Who cares about the weight of a cruiser anyways? They are the most god awful heavy pieces of metal on the road. For the light protection, we would rather not make different bumpers to protect the different year lights, thats about it. We do offer seperate tail light protectors for the 73-83 4+

As for the FJ60 bumper, even I am a little un-sure as to what it will look like. We are still making the old ones if people are interested, but it is a specail order item. 4x4labs does make a nice bumper, but I have never seen one in person. Naturally I think 4+ is better, but everyone has their own opinion.

Thanks for all the info. I'm pretty sure I am going to make it myself though. some of the prices for the bumpers are too much compared to what I can build them for myself. although im sure those bumpers are well designed and built, id rather save a couple hundred dollars, and put it into some other part of my cruiser. I might just have to "borrow" a few design ideas when im making mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom