running board end caps trimmed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure someone has already thought of and done this but I didn't see a thread.
After selling my running boards and getting sliders I didn't like the look of the bottom of the flares. I lived with it because I didn't want to buy mud flaps or cut the bottoms off the flares. It was obvious something was missing. Recently a friend bought a cruiser and didn't have a need for the end caps so he let me have them to experiment with. I measured 2" down from the top of the caps, taped it off and cut with a Dremel. The end result:
endcap.jpg

noendcap.jpg

cutendcap.jpg

ETA: Trimmed the rears today like I did the fronts above. Just tape off and cut. Here is the result.
rearrubber.jpg

rearrubber2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice! Did you just cut them, or did you do any cleanup on the bottom?

Thanks. Yes, the Dremel melted the plastic a little so I trimmed it with an exacto knife and then used a file on the edges to clean it up.

Looks nice! Did you just cut them, or did you do any cleanup on the bottom?

I'm sure someone has already thought of and done this but I didn't see a thread.
After selling my running boards and getting sliders I didn't like the look of the bottom of the flares. I lived with it because I didn't want to buy mud flaps or cut the bottoms off the flares. It was obvious something was missing. Recently a friend bought a cruiser and didn't have a need for the end caps so he let me have them to experiment with. I measured 2" down from the top of the caps, taped it off and cut with a Dremel. The result

Perfect timing! I'm anticipating getting my sliders in a couple of weeks or so. I've been angonizing how I was going to handle just this thing. This a really good option and very creative. What did you do at the rear flares? Thanks for posting your project! I think it looks like a smoother transition from flare to slider.

Thank you.
Are you referring to the rubber at the front of the rear flare that's attached to the door? I just removed that. It looks fine without it.

Perfect timing! I'm anticipating getting my sliders in a couple of weeks or so. I've been angonizing how I was going to handle just this thing. This a really good option and very creative. What did you do at the rear flares? Thanks for posting your project! I think it looks like a smoother blend of flare to slider.

The rear.
untitled.JPG

Thank you.
Are you referring to the rubber at the front of the rear flare that's attached to the door?
Yes. That's exactly what I was wondering.
I just removed that. It looks fine without it.
I've heard of some that leave it on after removing running boards - even with no sliders. Just a little more flare to catch mud & stray objects flung off the tires. I'll wait and see which way I'll go. Thanks again for taking the time and pics to do this thread. Very helpful!
Edit: Thanks for posting rear pic! Looks like there's just enough room above your kick out tube for that rubber piece to help.

Last edited:
I left mine on. Takes a lot of hits from gravel, so I figure it's worth it. :meh:

I would have left it too if the guy hadn't bought the boards. It would have had to be trimmed because the rubber hung down low enough that it hit the kick out on my sliders and affected the door closing.

The rubber is much softer so trimming it evenly will be more difficult.

Id like to see pics if you decide to trim that piece. please.

Yes. That's exactly what I was wondering.

I've heard of some that leave it on after removing running boards - even with no sliders. Just a little more flare to catch mud & stray objects flung off the tires. I'll wait and see which way I'll go. Thanks again for taking the time and pics to do this thread. Very helpful!

I would have left it too if the guy hadn't bought the boards. It would have had to be trimmed because the rubber hung down low enough that it hit the kick out on my sliders and affected the door closing.

The rubber is much softer so trimming it evenly will be more difficult.

Id like to see pics if you decide to trim that piece. please.
I may not have to trim at all. My kick outs don't go as far back as yours. Here's a pic of mine still being fabbed:
forslider3.jpg

Those look perfectly positioned not to interfere.

I may not have to trim at all. My kick outs don't go as far back as yours. Here's a pic of mine still being fabbed:

Thanks for posting. I was about to do the same thing as you. I need to get a marker that I can see for the trim line. I was going to use the dremel but I was worried about the plastic melting. Now that I see that I was correct about that I may use a hack saw or utility blade and a file to finish off any irregularities. Thanks for showing the pics...that helps.

Update: I ended up using the Dremel tool. It sprays the damn plastic everywhere in a sandy type residue so wear a garbage bag or something and a bandana along with proper eye protection which I was wearing.

I marked and taped off 2 1/2 inches from the top. The Dremel did a decent job and it will be near impossible to detect the minor defects in my chop job. I also used the file to clean up some of the melted plastic, it already looks 100 times better when I hold it up in place, but its raining like mad right now so I am holding off bolting it up. Thanks again to the OP.

Let's see some pics when it stops raining.

Update: I ended up using the Dremel tool. It sprays the damn plastic everywhere in a sandy type residue so wear a garbage bag or something and a bandana along with proper eye protection which I was wearing.

I marked and taped off 2 1/2 inches from the top. The Dremel did a decent job and it will be near impossible to detect the minor defects in my chop job. I also used the file to clean up some of the melted plastic, it already looks 100 times better when I hold it up in place, but its raining like mad right now so I am holding off bolting it up. Thanks again to the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom