Help diagnosing front end clunk (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having some trouble diagnosing a front end clunk and could use some advice. I went wheeling a few weeks ago in a rock garden and managed to break a rear sway link, pop a hole in the exhaust, and create a clunk in the front suspension. I've fixed everything else but am having trouble figuring out the source of the front end clunk. Relevant mods are Delta 2" radius arms, Ironman FCP shocks/2" lift springs, and Ironman front panhard/steering link/steering stabilizer. I also had the front sway disconnected while wheeling so did have some extra articulation when whatever happened happened. This suspension has been on there for months and was previously noise free.

The clunk seems to be coming from the passenger side. While the truck is sitting still, if I jerk the wheel left I can make it clunk, but if I jerk the wheel right there is no clunk. Truck drives straight with no wandering, and no signs anything is off other than the clunking sound at low speeds over uneven surfaces. I've put a wrench on all the suspension connections and wheel lugs and everything feels tight. I tried muscling some of the parts around and could not reproduce the clunk. The tie rod ends do not appear busted. Unfortunately I don't have anyone available for now to jerk the wheel around while I inspect underneath, so I'm looking for some advice to help narrow down what I should be looking at. All comments and speculations welcome.

I see lots of $$$ parts on the suspension but didn't see any mentions of the bushings? How old are they and are they OEM?

I see lots of $$$ parts on the suspension but didn't see any mentions of the bushings? How old are they and are they OEM?
All bushings front and rear less than 10k miles. Ironman panhard bushings are whatever came with them. The panhard bushings don't appear torn. Ironman steering rod ends are also whatever came with them. No obvious play/leakage but not sure how much force should be required to make them knock if they're bad. Tie rod ends are OEM and less than 2k miles. Radius arm bushings are OEM less than 2k miles, but I am suspicious of them because of the Delta arms allowing more articulation making them easier to tear. They're hard to fully inspect while on the truck, and new bolts/nuts were used when I put them on so I'm trying to avoid loosening them until other possibilities are eliminated.

I'm having some trouble diagnosing a front end clunk and could use some advice. I went wheeling a few weeks ago in a rock garden and managed to break a rear sway link, pop a hole in the exhaust, and create a clunk in the front suspension. I've fixed everything else but am having trouble figuring out the source of the front end clunk. Relevant mods are Delta 2" radius arms, Ironman FCP shocks/2" lift springs, and Ironman front panhard/steering link/steering stabilizer. I also had the front sway disconnected while wheeling so did have some extra articulation when whatever happened happened. This suspension has been on there for months and was previously noise free.

The clunk seems to be coming from the passenger side. While the truck is sitting still, if I jerk the wheel left I can make it clunk, but if I jerk the wheel right there is no clunk. Truck drives straight with no wandering, and no signs anything is off other than the clunking sound at low speeds over uneven surfaces. I've put a wrench on all the suspension connections and wheel lugs and everything feels tight. I tried muscling some of the parts around and could not reproduce the clunk. The tie rod ends do not appear busted. Unfortunately I don't have anyone available for now to jerk the wheel around while I inspect underneath, so I'm looking for some advice to help narrow down what I should be looking at. All comments and speculations welcome.
Sounds like cracks in a frame or gussets around the steering box or the frame support across by the steering box. Inspect the common areas for cracks.

Also inspect your shaft out the bottom on the steering box. Not uncommon to twist the shaft and get it ready for failure.

Check torque on front arms and knuckles

Check your nuts. On the right knuckle
Thanks. I checked that the nuts are all present, but I didn't put a wrench on them. I'll go do that now.
Sounds like cracks in a frame or gussets around the steering box or the frame support across by the steering box. Inspect the common areas for cracks.

Also inspect your shaft out the bottom on the steering box. Not uncommon to twist the shaft and get it ready for failure.
A wheeling friend suggested the same but I looked on both sides of the frame at the steering box and didn't see anything obvious. The shaft is the upgraded 105 piece and looked fine at a glance but I didn't inspect it closely. I'll give it another look.
Check torque on front arms and knuckles
The nuts are tight on the arms, but I didn't check the torque on the knuckle nuts. I'll check them today.

Thanks for the input!

Loose shock on one end or lost a rubber cushion on a shock?

Loose shock on one end or lost a rubber cushion on a shock?
Thanks. Checked those and they're good.

I also checked the knuckle nuts and they're fine. It sounds like a TRE in the steering link or the tie rod. The boots on them look fine, and I can't move them with my arms, but it seems like that has to be it. I'll have some help next week to turn the steering wheel while I'm underneath, so it should be easy to narrow down then.

I had a friend cranking on the steering wheel while I was underneath and still can't pinpoint the clunking. Nothing is visually loose, but it's something connected to the steering rod. Going to replace the TREs and if that doesn't fix it going to swap the stock steering damper back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom