ROTW ROTW: The Toyota (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is such an awesome story. I just hope after I'm done fixing and restoring mine, I'll be able to hand it down as an heirloom.

Outstanding story!

Does WA not permit the original license plates to be re-registered?

I'm not sure. We have to get new plates every 5 years or something like that. If you pay extra, you can get new plates with the same number. It didn't matter in my case since I didn't have the original plates anyway.

:cheers:

A fantastic read. Thats just awesome to think of the family stories in the rig its like a family member. You have a great looking family. :cheers:

I'm not sure. We have to get new plates every 5 years or something like that. If you pay extra, you can get new plates with the same number. It didn't matter in my case since I didn't have the original plates anyway.

The KBV- plates in 1st pic, and also still on rig when you brought it home. Thats the plate i referred to. Just thought it'd be real cool to run those if possible.

Here in PA i hear they were trying to allow old plates to be re-registered on classic and antique vehicles, i picked up a 52 PA plate for my 52 Willy's. Was hoping i could use it someday, but not sure how that worked out.

Anyway, great story and awesome rig. I look forward to seeing whats next. :beer:

Incredible and fantastic story!! Thanks for sharing and Congrats! seeing your elderly family members, then you and your kids riding along years later makes the history it so much more poignant. Only one comment, pleeasseee reconsider putting back the stock seats REUPHOLSTERED. It will really make your investment in time and $$ much more valuable if you keep the interior stock (won't say anything about the header, I promise) as you move on to sheetmaetal and paint down the line.

Keep us posted :>)

I agree with everyone else. The nostalgic stories of the cruisers staying with the same family for over 30 years are great. It was in a barn just collecting dust and rust and now it has been resurrected. I'm sure your son will be posting on here someday with his 50-60 year old cruiser!

Really great story! Thanks for the write up...looking forward to a long history with my 74' and my 'soon to start' family! :)

Hi All:

Thanks for sharing with us the story of your FJ40 and your family as well! :beer:

Regards,

Alan

thanks for sharing that is a great story, good job keeping the cruiser going

Thanks again everybody for the kind words. This truly is an awesome forum.

Only one comment, pleeasseee reconsider putting back the stock seats REUPHOLSTERED.

Ha ha. Sorry, I'm just not a purist at heart. I'm much more practical. I spent a year driving it with the old seats and my knee hurt for a year. The new to me bucket seats are MUCH more comfortable (and I centered the driver seat on installation which really helped). Besides, this rig hasn't been stock since 1972. Almost immediately things were stripped or added to this rig. I have no problems with that. Like I said, I'm too practical to be a purist. Not that there is anything wrong with being a purist, its just not for me. :beer:

Along that same line, I've spent the last couple of days working on my disk brake conversion. A few minor problems popped up along the way. A few might have seen my post about the calipers not fitting. Poser posted right up what was wrong. I took the calipers back to the parts store the next day and sure enough, they gave me the wrong ones. Got them bolted up without any drama. The big problem popped up when I tried to put the wheel on. No dice. I had hoped I could just grind a little off the caliper, but it is rubbing too much. So, today I picked up a pair of billet 1/2" spacers to see if that would work. But, I'm going to have to get the center drilled out since the hub opening is too small. Arrgghh. And, I may have to get longer wheel studs, too. I could get different wheels, but I like having the stock hub caps. Oh well. If everything was easy to replace on this rig, I'd call it a Jeep!

I don't have any pictures with both sides done since my rig is not at home. I'll get some tomorrow and add them. Right now, I have both sides done with calipers on. I still have a couple days left of my ROTW, so I might as well make the most of it!

disk swap0001.jpg
disk swap0002.jpg
disk swap0004.jpg

Nice history and stories. I do not make it over into the 40 forum enough. Just gives ya the warm fuzzies inside!!! :) Glad to see your family involved as well. I cant wait until I can start taking my girls in the next few years.

i love it, the old photos are primo. remionds me of my rig

Great History. Thanks for restoring a classic and wheeling it like it was built to do. I'd like to see more people camping like that with the family. If it don't fit the the fj40 then leave it home.

Nice ROTW !!! And I also know there is no such thing as a "FREE" landcruiser ! Really enjoyed the read, Thanks.:cheers: Alex

nice looking toy good story to go along with it ! thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom