ROTW ROTW, Don't Laugh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I guess its my turn, so here goes. FIRST of all, I want to thank " Team Mud ", reguardless if you were a question asker, or answer'er. I've learned a whole lot, and attempted/finished more on this truck because of Mudd than I ever thought. Enough of that, now on to my Cruiser. I bought my first Cruiser just out of HS, back in the mid 70's. It was a '67, with a 283, and Kayline soft top. I put a Saginaw p/s setup on it, and the mandatory ( at the time ) Armstrong Tru-Trac's. Had a couple more with the 6, stock '66 model, and a '74 that got modded, curtiosy of Downey Toyota. Fast forward about 20 years, and I get the fever agin. I found Mud thru Pirate, looking in the mini section for stuff of interest for my 4 Runner. I had a pretty good idea what I wanted, so watched the classifed's here, Pirate, and E-Bay. I wound up with a '77 model, that came with an Advanced Handeling kit SR, a lift of unknown mfg , 4 WDB, aux fuel tank in rear, full cage, Auburn LSD in the rear, good body and paint, and your typical rusty spots. I've had it roughly 2.5 yrs now, and have done a few " mods". First I flipped the brackets on the SR, along with the springs, added Scout p/s and drove it that way for awhile. Went to Flat Nasty, and discovered my suspension sucked, and wound up with a Smoky Mtn kit from TPI. Lots better. Rode in Mike Costello's truck at Flat Nasty, and thought " hey, these SM 420's are kind'a cool ". As luck would have it, my brother gave me one out of a '66 GMC, so that got the wheels in my head turning. Swapped my 4.11's for some 3.70's, added an Aussie in the rear, and moved the Auburn to the front. Redid the front with mini knuckles and arms, as it needed it anyways. So with the exception of the 420, and my spare case I'm rebuilding, here's some pic's for your viewing pleasure. Hey, if your up in the Northwest, and can shed some light on this trucks background, PM me
Toyota  FJ 40 002.jpg
Toyota  FJ 40  001.jpg
Toyota FJ 40 011.jpg

Engine

350 Chev, Comp 254 4x4 cam ( 210 @.050/ 218 @ .050 .447"/.462" 111 LC ), Edelbrock Performer EPS manifold, 600 Holley, and recent HEI upgrade
Toyota FJ 40 006engine.jpg
Toyota FJ 40 007 engine.jpg

Last edited:
Suspension

Smoky Mtn 2/4 kit for shackle reversal. Showing shackle angle mainly. Expect them to settle some in time. TPI's kit ( Belton Spring ) moves the rear some to center in the wheel well.
Toyota FJ 40 004.jpg
Toyota FJ 40 005.jpg
Toyota  FJ 40 005 front.jpg

Last edited:
Interior

Haven't done much with the inside. Put a CB in it, and pulled the heater 'cause it was leaking. Its on the list.
Toyota FJ 40 009.jpg
Toyota FJ 40 010.jpg

Future Project

Here's something I'm fooling with off and on. With 3.70's in the diff's to cut hiway RPM, this will be my low gear option. Pic's for Scout box didn't go thru, something about bmp files. Well, there it is, you can laugh now:D . See 'ya, Al
Toyota FJ 40 012.jpg

No laughing here... nice rig bud.

...and thanks for posting it.

:beer:

Good luck w/ your future projects and keep postin.

Scott

Why would you worry about anyone laughing? That is a real nice rig. I would get laughed at because my 40 is in storage:frown: and has been for longer than I will say.

Looks Great!!

Now I need to catch up with you!

Tim

Why laugh, that's a nice cruiser and it's a great color.

I'm laughing because that thing looks like a beauty compared to mine!!
Nice job on the rig of the week!!

Scout Box

Thanks Guys, makes me feel good:eek: . See if this works, steering box is out of a '77 Scout, steering shaft a '95 T-100 cut down to fit. Made my own relay rod ( 3/4 Toy,1/4 Jeep ) , and sleeved the tierod, as it was bent slightly, to beef it up.Thats about it right now. Thanks for the chance to share my truck with you Guy's ( and Gal's ). Al
Toyota 025.jpg
Toyota 026.jpg
Toyota 027.jpg

Love it

Great looking ride. Love the color.

JR

Nice looking truck. Way better shape than either of mine. Looking at the picture that shows your front driveshaft, it looks to be extended about the same as mine. When I picked up front end of my truck by the bumper the driveshaft almost came apart. I suggest you try it, you might be suprised. Flexing isn't a problem because when one wheel goes down the other goes up (relative to the frame) and the slipjoint doesn't move much. With a SR the axle moves forward when it moves away from the frame, so the front driveshaft usually has to lengthened. Try not to get any front end air until you check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom