Builds Romer's 200 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How long did the diff breathers take you to run?

I had Slee do it while they were doing the lockers. Typically not to bad to do it on your own.

I had Slee do it while they were doing the lockers. Typically not to bad to do it on your own.
Fully locked front and rear with ARB's? Have you ever had any problem with ARB lockers before? I have heard of an o-ring issue.

Fully locked front and rear with ARB's? Have you ever had any problem with ARB lockers before? I have heard of an o-ring issue.

I ran ARBs in my 100 and never had an issue with that. My daughter also runs them in her 100. I also have them in my FJ40. I like the fact the engage/disengage when I push the button rather than having to drive a bit like my 80 series. Also an excuse to get an ARB Twin compressor to fill your tires.

I would carry spare air tubing with the quick connect adapters as the air line breaking if it gets hung up on a stick is a more likely issue.

Just recently purchased '14 200 series and will be reading your build thread diligently. Surprised, but not really so much, that some of the 100 series parts fit a 200.

I needed to add an always on Aux power and also been meaning to move the Aux fuse Box. There is a fuse box behind the Air Filter and the Blue Sea Fuse box fits nicely on top of it.

fuse Bx.JPG

I may get a different Aux Output and do something flush mounted. This will be good enough for Moab next month

Aux Power.JPG

Last edited:
@Romer - did you find the part # for that panel you drilled through. I'm going to do the same this weekend for my HAM and tablet setup. Thinking about ordering a replacement panel just in cse.

@Romer - did you find the part # for that panel you drilled through. I'm going to do the same this weekend for my HAM and tablet setup. Thinking about ordering a replacement panel just in cse.

Hmm, what I said is if I screwed up I can order the part from Toyota. I thought it came out well so I didn't bother to check. Why order ahead of drilling? even if you mess up it will still fit in place as a non functional piece until you get a replacement.

These pictures are posted in other threads, but thought I should keep this current.

I took the 200 to Cruise Moab and put it through its paces and it responded perfectly.

I towed my 4000-5000 lb trailer (fully loaded) up the mtn passes and it did well. After 2 hours of climbing steep climbs and engine braking steep decents I could feel the heat from the tranny. The engine remained cool. I didn't wrap it full throttle, but I kept it above 3200 RPM on the climbs with a few short bursts above 4000 rpm. This kept me at 55-60 MPH. Maybe I worked it too hard and that is why I felt the heat.

The armor all did its job with scrapes to the bumpers and sliders and no damage to the vehicle other than some pin striping.

The 200 went up some climbs easier than or maybe I just felt more cozy and comfortable doing it.

The Slee Sliders, ARB Skid plates and ARB front bumper were perfect

The ARB Rear bumper did its job, but scrapped more than the 80 on the rear tow points. It only scraped the paint and did not get damaged. Other than the tow points, using the stock receiver kind of drives this height. Slee's is stronger on the wings, but it wasn't ready when doing my build

I liked the front camera when in Lo. I used it a couple of times. I didnt pay attention to the tire lines because I know it is off a bit.

I liked the multi-terrain switch that allows you to change the terrain from Rock to loose dirt and stuff in between.

I did not play with Crawl control or turn assists, just forgot. Although I did Power brake in multiple spots which is very similar

I didnt even engage the center Diff lock part of the time because 4Lo is so capable with Atrac

I did not engage the front locker. I did engage the rear locker once when the terrain was wet and my tires were filled with sand, mostly out of habit

I am really pleased with this vehicle and would agree it is the best Cruiser ever made. I have owned enough of them

I would redo all the mods I have done to date and have no regrets with anything

The only mod I am thinking about is an Aux Fuel tank, not because I need it . . . . Had one in my 80 and I liked it

Fins.PNG
fins2.PNG
wedge.PNG
Kennys Climb.PNG
DSC01738.jpg

I'm also thinking about an aux tank. Are you thinking about the CBI tank, the Long Ranger or another custom job? The CBI seems it would be the most turn key solution at this time. I wonder what they are going to sell it for.

I like the Long ranger. It's more like what I had in my 80. You fill them both from the same spout and then flip a switch to transfer fuel at any time. Thinking the medium sized Long ranger tank

Ken, have you or do you expect to write up your experiences with the Kimberly Kruiser....being one of the few in the US. Just thought it might be in another thread somewhere.

Any chance you'll make Expo West with it?

Ken, have you or do you expect to write up your experiences with the Kimberly Kruiser....being one of the few in the US. Just thought it might be in another thread somewhere.

Any chance you'll make Expo West with it?

I wasn't planning on making the Expo. It would be nice, but out of money for toys right now :D and that would make me want to buy some add ons. Maybe next year

So far I have only used the Karavan in a canp ground. I was going to wait until I used it someplace without shore power

Nice action shots. rig looks good

Where are my manners. Let me introduce you to my daughters Rachel (4runner)and Sarah (100 )

DSC01060.jpg
DSC01116.jpg
DSC01151.jpg
DSC01095.jpg
Sarah.PNG

Thanks for posting @Romer, very cool.

When I've wheeled in Moab in the past, I found that more street-oriented tires always seem better on the slickrock. My theory is this is due to more contact area for traction.

Any feedback on how your tires gripped vs. other, more aggressive tires?

Thanks for posting @Romer, very cool.

When I've wheeled in Moab in the past, I found that more street-oriented tires always seem better on the slickrock. My theory is this is due to more contact area for traction.

Any feedback on how your tires gripped vs. other, more aggressive tires?

I have run BFG AT's, Cooper STTs, Toyo MTs and now Toyo ATII's. I think the ATs grip better on the slick rock, especially when wet. With that said, I never had a problem with MT's in Moab. I moved back to ATs because they last longer and to me worked just as well if not better in the places I go. I have never run anything more like a street all season if that is what you mean. I did learn I was taking too much air out airing down to 19 like I did in my 80, 22 is much better and provides less pooch in the tire. The Pooch cost me a couple of slashed tires until I figured out that the heavier vehicle needs more air, du'h

Ken, you do some great write ups. Love that pic of you three. I'm going to try and get my daughter a 4Runner.

I have Toyo MTs on my 80 and I had BFG ATs. The Toyos are so incredibly stiff that they don't do as well, imo, as the BFG. Now if I aired way down (I saw a guy running them 1 psi with bead locks) it would probably be different. And there is no tougher tire. But they are some beasts to be sure.

On the 100 I've run a few trails in Utah with Michellin LTX MS2 and BFG ATs. While the Michellin are the best Colorado highway tire there is, the AT just dramatically outperformed them. That is, the BFG barely slipped and the ATrac was chirped like made with the Michellins.

My next tire on the 80 is either the KO2 or the ATII for exactly the reasons you give. I encounter so little mud and I think they are actually better in my off-roading.

Ken, you do some great write ups. Love that pic of you three. I'm going to try and get my daughter a 4Runner.

I have Toyo MTs on my 80 and I had BFG ATs. The Toyos are so incredibly stiff that they don't do as well, imo, as the BFG. Now if I aired way down (I saw a guy running them 1 psi with bead locks) it would probably be different. And there is no tougher tire. But they are some beasts to be sure.

On the 100 I've run a few trails in Utah with Michellin LTX MS2 and BFG ATs. While the Michellin are the best Colorado highway tire there is, the AT just dramatically outperformed them. That is, the BFG barely slipped and the ATrac was chirped like made with the Michellins.

My next tire on the 80 is either the KO2 or the ATII for exactly the reasons you give. I encounter so little mud and I think they are actually better in my off-roading.

Thanks Paul

I found I was airing down to much and with the heavier vehicle (100 is similar) it made the ture pooch to much. I had slashed a couple of tires on trails I never did with my 80 at the same PSI. Since I started running higher pressure, I havent had an issue

4runners are great rigs for daughters. Rachel will likely selling hers soon. She wants to move up to the GX470 for the V8 power and more comfort. They are essentially a 100 series but narrower like a 4runner

I've had the girl driving under the permit offroad and she is hooked. I find it really fun watching her negotiate trails.

Of course I will be interested when you turn that runner loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom