Builds Romer's 200 Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The spare tire cuts off a small portion of the rear view, I will take a picture. The camera was moved into the bull bar and there is no interference, but there is the Radar sensor for the assisted Cruise Control behind the Toyota logo. The Winch controller was moved due to that

here is the rear camera view after it was moved. I could always move it a bit to the drivers side to improve it. That is what I did on my 100

Rear View.jpg

You may look into routing it to the center of your tire carrier - it's not difficult at all and the view is unobstructed.

You may look into routing it to the center of your tire carrier - it's not difficult at all and the view is unobstructed.

Where it is will be better for connecting a trailer by myself. That is the best use for the rear camera from driving my 100, that and seeing the lines to back into a spot

Thanks for the suggestion though

I almost forgot. The Diff Breather extensions
Diff Breathers.jpg

here is the rear camera view after it was moved. I could always move it a bit to the drivers side to improve it. That is what I did on my 100

Thanks that's helpful. I would definitely need to look into relocating the camera further over, or higher up, or into the spare tire carrier... visibility is so limited when backing up the camera is extremely useful.

I was looking at the diff breathers the other day wondered where they went. Thanks for posting that shot. Also, would the winch controller not fit in the bumper. We saw another build recently that had the winch controller hidden.

Thanks

It may fit in the bumper, you would want to make sure there is still easy access to connect the control cable

I fitted a Warn Zeon 12 (unaltered stock configuration) in my TJM T13 / controller and all. You have to modify the vertical support bracket that sits just behind the grill. I don't have a control cable though - the remote is wireless.

I had always bought my rigs out of state looking for the best deal and quality and was surprised to find a great deal on a local cruiser at Carmax. A 2014 with 25K miles still under factory warranty for $58K.

This is a great price for the Colorado market. My plans are similar with respect to my 100. The 200 is probably the best expedition truck on the road. Something I've pondered are the differences in feel and the dynamics of torsion bars vs coil overs. Can you "feel" the differences, is there any dominate advantages of one over the other? I have not seen this discussed much. Two things I like about the 200 is the obvious power increase and no timing belt. I have to test drive one soon and I am definitely hanging on to my 80 and 60.

That's a good question. I haven't taken it off road yet. What I have noticed so far is:
1) improved response on sharp turns, believe that is the KDSS
2) Ride is very responsive
3) Brakes are not as tight due to all the safety stuff added on tied to seat belts. meaning it took less pressure on the 100
4) I drove the 100 after getting this and it felt like my 80 did when I bought the 100, very slow. You can definitely feel the power difference with the 200.
5) I drove it during the big storm here end of January and it handled well with no issues. My 100 did as well so hard to tell if there is any difference there

I really like the 200 and got one new enough with low enough miles I can have it for a long time.

The real difference is when I decide to take the 40 for a spin :D

I noticed that the rear camera stock location is better when you only have one swingout. The relocation kit is a must when you have two and I don't. I moved it back and the view went from this

rear-view-jpg.1213353

to this

Rear View.jpg

BTW, took it in to the dealer and they are going to replace the KDSS valve that is rusted under warranty. Talked to the tech and Toyota is starting to deal with a few of these parts that rust. He liked the grease on the threads idea and also suggested I wrap it to protect from the elements since it isnt something used very often if at all

Getting ready for Cruise Moab and a season of wheeling. It is nice to have a GPS especially when you are leading the trail run so you don't take the wrong trail. I had bought a $100 windows tablet at Microcenter and a USB magnetic GPS I ran in both my 40 and 100, described in the highlighted link.

The question was where to add the mounting ball in the 200? I wanted to be able to shift, operate the Radios etc and have it as close to eye contact as possible. This setup allows me to adjust the position of the tablet in any direction and to get a mount for a phone if I want it.

Here is where I put the mounting ball
GPS 2.JPG

Putting the long arm and carrier for the tablet
GPS 6.JPG

Adding the tablet

GPS 4.JPG
GPS 5.JPG

Then placing the GPS Puck on the metal dash speaker cover

GPS 1.JPG

That's cool. Nice add on

I've been reading your posts for a few years now and I have to say, I admire that you have no hesitation about drilling holes in your stuff and making it just how you want. You are an inspiration!
Cheers!

I've been reading your posts for a few years now and I have to say, I admire that you have no hesitation about drilling holes in your stuff and making it just how you want. You are an inspiration!
Cheers!

Thanks. I know if I screw it up I can order the trim piece from Toyota. My previous trucks have been 7 years old with over 100K miles when I got them. I plan on owning this a lot longer than the 7 years I had the previous cruisers. I do want it customized to my needs. The Ball is a generic RAM Mount ball, I can put anything on it in the future if I go away from the tablet.

It is nice having something better than a phone to surf the internet when you are away from home. I would need to use the hot spot from my phone with this tablet. I remember a couple of years ago coming back from the Maze late with a broken truck in tow. We used the tablet ( a previous one) to find a place open that served dinner in Green River and a Hotel to stop for the night and figure out what to do next.

20141208_172308.jpg
20141208_172558.jpg

Getting ready for Cruise Moab and a season of wheeling. It is nice to have a GPS especially when you are leading the trail run so you don't take the wrong trail. I had bought a $100 windows tablet at Microcenter and a USB magnetic GPS I ran in both my 40 and 100, described in the highlighted link.

The question was where to add the mounting ball in the 200? I wanted to be able to shift, operate the Radios etc and have it as close to eye contact as possible. This setup allows me to adjust the position of the tablet in any direction and to get a mount for a phone if I want it.

Here is where I put the mounting ball
View attachment 1227774

Putting the long arm and carrier for the tablet
View attachment 1227776

Adding the tablet

View attachment 1227778 View attachment 1227779

Then placing the GPS Puck on the metal dash speaker cover

View attachment 1227781

Nice. I've had mine mounted like that over a year now and no issues with the panel or mount coming loose. I added large fender washers for a little more support since I used it for my 8" and 10" tablets.

I put the Radio head unit under one of the Drawer Trim Kit panels along with the 12V outlet for the Fridge. Was amazing to me there wasn't a 12V outlet back there

View attachment 1192915 View attachment 1192916 View attachment 1192917

Next I will put in my brake controller and Dual Battery setup. I will have to see if Slee has the 2nd tray in stock and run up there this week.
Coming along nicely! Once I get mine back next week I will be starting the electrical project. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom