Road Trip to AZ - Need Advise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m glad I can fit that all in, I’m excited to check out the area. I usually try to fit too much driving in, which is fine for me, but the kid (and me) need some time on foot and in camp. So I’m trying to keep it more relaxed. We might slip in a visit to the Grand Canyon but we’ll have to keep it a secret, my wife and son want to go real bad, so we had to agree to visit elsewhere in AZ!

Someone mentioned special passes are required for some areas. Will need anything for the planned route?

I’m glad I can fit that all in, I’m excited to check out the area. I usually try to fit too much driving in, which is fine for me, but the kid (and me) need some time on foot and in camp. So I’m trying to keep it more relaxed. We might slip in a visit to the Grand Canyon but we’ll have to keep it a secret, my wife and son want to go real bad, so we had to agree to visit elsewhere in AZ!

Someone mentioned special passes are required for some areas. Will need anything for the planned route?

Special passes are pretty rare, I checked on the maps here (Gila and Maricopa counties), you don't cross any state trust land. No permit needed!

It may go without saying, but weather near phx in May will be pretty toasty. Bring extra water.

Some places in sedona "require" a red rock pass to park, typically the uber touristy (which I would avoid anyways). Plenty of pull outs and free places to park if you are flexible. Happy to point those out.

Rather than heading north on i-17 on the way to Sedona, this would be a good alternate route. There would be lots of turn offs that you could take to see various sights along the way.

View attachment 2220714

definitely take the spur up to Humboldt Peak off to the right off FR24 (Cave Creek to Bloody Basin Road) - fantastic views from up there; all the way over to Roosevelt Lake and the Sierra Ancha Mountain Range - it's paved all the way up by now (in-and-out, so you will come down the same way) - there's a white globe on top (FAA station), which you can see as you drive on FR24 up from Cave Creek, but not visible directly at the intersection where you need to turn off (there's a sign there, I think - at least it was last time I was there)

and when in the Sedona area, go to the iconic Red Rock Crossing for the famous in-every-calendar photo shot

Last edited:
You could then drive up to Crown King and take Senator Highway (a pretty tame but off-road forest road) up to Prescott through the Bradshaws then to Sedona via Jerome. There is some good camping around Crown King and on Senator Highway in the Bradshaws. Crown King is also a neat little place on its own.

View attachment 2220763
@TheGrrrr, I got my forest service maps but the Senator Hwy is a bit hard to follow. Is the road well posted or is there a better map for this section. I definitely want to do this section based on reviews I’ve seen. Thanks!

Just did it on Saturday and it is pretty well marked. The only tough spot is just coming out of Crown King as its no obvious that you have to turn right. You will see a sign that says Prescott 38 miles with an arrow to the right. After that its pretty easy to stay on track. I would suggest getting GAIA for your phone and searching for tracks to follow just in case. Just make sure you download those sections of the map for offline viewing as cell coverage is good but not great.

@TheGrrrr, I got my forest service maps but the Senator Hwy is a bit hard to follow. Is the road well posted or is there a better map for this section. I definitely want to do this section based on reviews I’ve seen. Thanks!
FS maps are going to be tough in that area as there are a few roads that aren't marked. Try Back Country Navigator and GPS and Google Earth. Plot out the track on Earth first and download. Once on the "highway" it will be easy to navigate to Prescott.

I second using Gaia

Well today was supposed to be the day me and my daughter took off for Arizona. Unfortunately we’ve had to cancel the trip due to the Coronavirus. Luckily we are all still healthy and planning to do this trip in the fall now. Thank you to everyone who helped us plan it. I hope you are all doing well and staying healthy. I’ll see you in the fall!

Well today was supposed to be the day me and my daughter took off for Arizona. Unfortunately we’ve had to cancel the trip due to the Coronavirus. Luckily we are all still healthy and planning to do this trip in the fall now. Thank you to everyone who helped us plan it. I hope you are all doing well and staying healthy. I’ll see you in the fall!

October in the Grand Canyon State is spectacular.

/this\

as was this entire spring - this quarantine allowed me to enjoy my first full season of cactus bloom since moving away 20 years ago :cool:

Hi all! Thanks so much again for all your help
earlier this year.

We are going to take Thanksgiving week to have a second shot at this trip. This time the whole family is going. And we are renting a house in Prescott for a few days and Grand Canyon Village for a few.

Any suggestions for day trips from those locations? I’ve still got Senator Hwy and Broken Arrow Trail on my list. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

On the way to Broken Arrow, run through Granite Dells and then to Jerome (Ghost Town). Schnebly hill should also be on your list in Sedona.

Another day trip is heading south out of Prescott to Wickenburg. Pretty drive and usually, very little traffic on the two lane road. Yarnell hill is an awesome site and also where the memorial is for the 19 fire fighters who died fighting the Yarnell Hill fire (Movie: Only the Brave). Stop at the Vulture Mine Vulture City Ghost Town (not sure if it is open). The gold towns, most notably Wickenburg, are the reason Phoenix exists today. Phoenix "fed" the mining communities and used the canals dug by the original inhabitants, the Sinagua, to irrigate the crops.

On the Senator run, watch the weather. You don't want to get stuck back there if it snows. You will want to stop at Crown King at the end. You have three choices from there to get back to Prescott. Double back, take the Back Road to Crown King (not suitable for stock 4 wheelers and could be nasty if wet) or head down from through Bumble Bee to I-17 and back up to Prescott. The back road will make it a full day and you will be tired.

Hi AZ folks! Thanks so much for all this help last year. We ended up finally going in November and you're input was awesome! The whole family went, so I didn't do as much off roading as I wanted but we covered a lot of territory.

Ended up going through San Bernardino to see my folks, then through Joshua Tree on the way to Prescott. Stayed west of town for a few days and checked out some trails around the ranch we were staying at and did some mountain biking. One day we went up to Jerome and then hit up some ancient native American cliff dwellings on our way to Sedona. What a beautiful drive! We did Broken Arrow in the truck and then my wife mountain biked back and we did another mountain bike trail. The history in Jerome was really cool. This day was probably the highlight of the trip.

After that we went through Flagstaff and Williams on the way to Grand Canyon National Park. Stayed a few days there and had Thanksgiving there (at McDonalds haha) then drove back on Saturday.

This was a great trip and very needed COVID break at the time. Thanks again for all your help, you have a beautiful state and I can't wait to come back. Here's some pics.

Last edited:
DSC02627.JPG
DSC02645.JPG
DSC02660.JPG

DSC02673.JPG
DSC02688.JPG
DSC02689.JPG

DSC02725.JPG
DSC02711.JPG
DSC02712.JPG

DSC02745.JPG
DSC02797.JPG

Hi AZ!

My 8 yo daughter and me are planning a road trip to central AZ in the first week of May. We’ve never been to AZ, so I figured this group would be a good place to get some advice.

We are thinking of visiting Tonto and Coconino NFs. Maybe going through Phoenix and working our way North. We’d like to see the Saguaro cacti, but otherwise just camp, hike, and explore some of your beautiful country. Maybe check out Sedona.

Naturally, we want to do some off-roading, but we will be by ourselves so nothing intense. We’ll be in my second gen Tacoma with 33s and a rear locker.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance for any help!

Seth and Mary
Hello,
if you happen to be going on I-10 through Tucson on your way to Phoenix. You need to take the time to stop at Rooster Cogburns (I-10 and Picacho Peak) you can’t miss it. It is zoo with Ostrich, Sheep, rabbits, goats, ducks, chicken, deer, and Sting Rays. You can hand feed all the animals except the Ostriches.
also in Tucson is Saguaro National Park. Lots of good hiking there.

Casey

Hello,
if you happen to be going on I-10 through Tucson on your way to Phoenix. You need to take the time to stop at Rooster Cogburns (I-10 and Picacho Peak) you can’t miss it. It is zoo with Ostrich, Sheep, rabbits, goats, ducks, chicken, deer, and Sting Rays. You can hand feed all the animals except the Ostriches.
also in Tucson is Saguaro National Park. Lots of good hiking there.

Casey

this is very AZ...just throw some sting rays in there, which don't really fit into the rest of the list. Also very AZ would be: can't pet the ostriches, but you can buy ostrich jerky at the exit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom